Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Ticket, UA Metal - E-Upgrade???

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2004, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

US Ticket, UA Metal - E-Upgrade???

I did some searching, but did not find anything specific to my situation. So, in short...I am on US ticket, flying UA metal, wanting to upgrade using UA e-upgrades. I am Prem. Exec. with UA.

More specifically:
I recently booked a flight (MCI-DEN-RNO) on US for my Dad, my uncle and I (US was $220 cheaper for same flight). I am the only one with status.

MCI-DEN is UA Metal. DEN-RNO is Ted.

Confirmation says to check in with UA at MCI.

Can I upgrade myself (and my 2 flying companions) using my UA upgrades and if so, do I call UA or US? If not, can I get E+ for all three, and if so, do I call UA or US?

Please help end the confusion. Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 1:10 pm

I was just researching the same question because I can buy a US code share ticket on UA metal for a BOS-SFO-BOS trip for $286 and the same UA designated flights cost $561.

I found this 2/04 thread that seems to say you can u/g using standard UA methods (e.g., CR1s, miles and 500s).

I would welcome the answers to all of your questions.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 2MM 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
It is Possible

I was able to upgrade on a US ticket on UA metal this past April. IAD to ORD was full in F, but I was able to upgrade from TPA to IAD using 500's. I was going from EYW to ORD via TPA and IAD (I made it out before TED came in...

Didn't try to confirm ahead of time with CR1's though.

Hope this helps.

Barratt
Old Jun 10, 2004, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA, UA
I was able to upgrade tix that were issued by a partner but flown by UA - using UA upgrades (I do not remember exact detail but think I did it at the gate)
Old Jun 10, 2004, 5:50 pm

I have flown frequently on UA using US tickets due to cost savings. You can use your UA upgrades no problem but only at time of check-in. No waitlisting or confirming upgrades ahead of time!
Old Jun 10, 2004, 6:02 pm
Original Member

UA metal on UA ticket

I booked a roundtrip on ual.com that is all on UA metal but listed as USAir codeshares (it as previous poster said, much cheaper than the prices UA wanted for the same flights).

The itinerary shows up on my ual.com My Itineraries, but doesn't show up on the "request upgrade" list...So I assume that I'm not allowed to request upgrades on them in advance even though it is a UA ticket..
Old Jun 10, 2004, 6:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
To clarify my confusion...

As I've never booked on usair's site, but someone suggested it last night cuz sometimes it's cheaper.

If I book on the USAir site for a flight that is UA metal & put in my UA acct # to be credited, can I then call UA to get upgraded in advance, or am I still stuck w/ at gate?

He seemed to think I could do it in advance because of the UAmetal/UA ff# portion, even though the ticket stock would be 037 & usair was the collector of the fare.

I'm too much of a princess to want to wait at gate & hope the upgrade clears, so thought I'd get some clarification here. Cheers.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
If I book on the USAir site for a flight that is UA metal & put in my UA acct # to be credited, can I then call UA to get upgraded in advance, or am I still stuck w/ at gate?

He seemed to think I could do it in advance because of the UAmetal/UA ff# portion, even though the ticket stock would be 037 & usair was the collector of the fare.
As sjunkerg notes (and I believe there are some corroborating posts in other threads) you can upgrade a US ticket on UA metal only at the gate.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 9:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
thanks nerd & others. but having over 3,000 posts & still thinking a multi-leg connection mileage run is a single connection!, thought i'd check to verify. i'm not into gate-wait-suspense, so think i'll still go via ua site or something that lets me confirm in advance. cheers.
Old Jun 11, 2004, 6:55 am

I am very sure it is gate only upgrades when you travel on UA metal on US (037...) ticket.

Here is what I have to live with, our company has a higher discount with US than UA so the same flights are generally cheaper if bought as US tickets and since we have to buy the cheapest possible tickets, that's what I end up with at least 50% of the time.

I usually don't mind as I don't have enough eupgrades to get upgraded every time but it was really annoying when I had some expiring paper upgrades that I was trying to get rid of. By the time I was actually upgraded, they had expired. With the nice people at the gate, I was able to use them even after their expiry date so it worked out in the end but it was not fun.
Old Jun 11, 2004, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sjunkerg
Here is what I have to live with, our company has a higher discount with US than UA so the same flights are generally cheaper if bought as US tickets and since we have to buy the cheapest possible tickets, that's what I end up with at least 50% of the time.
In your experience, when you buy a US ticket on UA metal, how does it count towards your earning 500-mile certs, and Region 1 upgrades? It's a question that's been asked frequently, but hasn't been definitively answered.
Old Jun 11, 2004, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by nerd
In your experience, when you buy a US ticket on UA metal, how does it count towards your earning 500-mile certs, and Region 1 upgrades? It's a question that's been asked frequently, but hasn't been definitively answered.
Flights on UA metal earn miles applicable to earning 500 milers and REg 1 upgrades. Flights on US metal with mileage credited to UA do not.
Old Jun 11, 2004, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IfItAintBoeing
Flights on UA metal earn miles applicable to earning 500 milers and REg 1 upgrades. Flights on US metal with mileage credited to UA do not.
Have you received 500-miler and Region 1 credit for US tickets on UA metal?
Old Jun 11, 2004, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by nerd
In my experience, there is absolutely no difference. By the time they report your MP miles and credit your flight, they seem to have forgotten that the ticket was a US one. So far, I have gotten all the upgrades, all the bonus miles, all promotions and free tickets (i.e. Fly 3 Fly 6 etc).

I think they even show up as UA lifetime miles!
Old Jul 14, 2004, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA
500 miler upgrade

I think perhaps this may be one where you can say "your mileage may vary".

I bought a US Airways(037) ticket for a SFO-RIC MR. All the segments are on UA metal. It showed up in my itineraries, but not as an upgadeable ticket on the e-upgrade page. I called UA and asked to upgrade with 500 milers. After a long pause, and a big hmmm, I got a friendly "Mr. D. thanks for choosing United again, as a Prem Exec your request for upgrade will be processed 72 hours prior to departure."

And sure enough my itineraries now shows "Upgrade request pending".

I'll wait and see. This MR is in Sept.

Last edited by macedon; Jul 14, 2004 at 7:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.