Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RTW ex CAI (moved from KL)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2004, 4:15 am
Suspended

Could anybody be so kind to (re)post the actual fares for those RTW trips ?

Thanks !
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Originally Posted by Threy
Could anybody be so kind to (re)post the actual fares for those RTW trips ?

Thanks !
Sorry, I no longer have access to a CRS due to computer Virus infestations...
Old Dec 29, 2004, 3:21 am

-> apoivre

Well i am doing a bit of round africa travels, and as there is quite a good selection of posibilities with both KQ, SA and EK the research on the different airlines and routes takes some time. Also since this is my first rtw experience in business class i really want to have some nice experiences - like the classic KUL-SIN run in F which will give access to the KLIA Golden club lounge F side.

-> Threy

I will post these as soon as i get a reply from EMECO at the moment i only have the 35000 miles in business class which is 22430 egp.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 3:52 am

-> apoivre
What routing did you end up with?
Old Dec 29, 2004, 5:17 am

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
Originally Posted by Mogensen
-> apoivre
What routing did you end up with?
I guess, sometthing like CAI- fly home (SVO) via BUD - then fly to EWR (is CO the best Trans-Atlantic in biz?) - via AMS (or direct, depending on when I get around to actually do it - CO will start flying DME-EWR in 2006) - > LAX (with a possible detour to SEA or SFO or both) - > TPE (on MH - I just love them) - > Guam->Yap->Palau (all on CO - if they have biz on these routes; if no, buy as separate ticket) -> MNL ->KUL->CMB->MAA (Jet)->BOM->NBO (KQ) -> (sidetrip to a secret location in Kenya I always wanted to visit) ->KRT-CAI

In a regular year I have two 4-weeks vacations (June and November) and each of them could actually be extended to 5 weeks, I guess - so it's doable (I will not go for the miles alone, will not travel to Kenya just for a quick turnover at NBO)

Another itn I was toying with is CAI-KRT-NBO-JNB-CPT-EZE-GRU-IAH-LAX, then as above but it'll probably take me longer (so much to see/do in Argentina and Brazil) and I'm not sure I can fit it into 2 4-weeks trips with a flight back to the office in between

Any constructive criticism is welcome

-> Mogensen : and what about you?

Last edited by apoivre; Sep 11, 2005 at 10:03 am
Old Dec 29, 2004, 6:34 am

well something like...

NBO-DXB-LOS (Lagos - Nigeria - Yes - lived their for 10 years)
LOS-JHN (maybe a trip or two inside south africa)
JHN-NBO?? or elsewhere in east africa
NBO-DXB(is DXB africa or europe IATA zone?)
DXB-MLE-CMB or something like this
CMB-KUL
maybe a bit more in asia, and then US
LAX-EWR
New York Stockholm on the new MH route
and back to Cairo

Something like this is what i am working on, whilst i would however like to get a bit more busy in Asia, would love south korea or maybe japan.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 8:59 am

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
Going eastwards, huh?
I've always wanted to go to West Africa but am scared of LOS. OTOH, KL flies to Kano which sounds a very nice place

NBO-DXB(is DXB africa or europe IATA zone?)
The fare rules mention the Middle East zone - is it safe to assume DXB is in the Middle East?

Last edited by apoivre; Dec 29, 2004 at 9:05 am
Old Jan 22, 2005, 2:18 am

No i seem to have run into a few problems understanding the rules of this rtw, so lets bring this thread back to life:

In the fare rules the following is stated:

4/ BACKTRACKING WITHIN AN IATA AREA IS PERMITTED
5/ BACKTRACKING BETWEEN IATA AREAS IS NOT PERMITTED EVEN IF WITHIN THE MPM PERMITTED FOR THE JOURNEY.

Now the obvious trick is to start this rtw in CAI to save some money.
But which IATA AREA is CAI, and which is DXB?

here are two examples of people from FT who have booked this RTW ticket from CAI:

KQ321 CAI-(KRT)-NBO
KQ464 NBO-CPT
MH202 CPT-(JNB)-KUL
MH603 KUL-SIN
KL835 SIN-CGK
KL836 CGK-SIN
MH602 SIN-KUL
MH070 KUL-NRT
NW006 NRT-PDX
AS498 PDX-LAX
AS829 LAX-RNO
AS830 RNO-LAX...
from: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ghlight=klm+rtw

and

CAI-AMS-LHR-EWR-MCO-SEA-NRT-BKK-CMB-MAA-HYD-BOM-AMD-BOM-JNB-LUN-NBO-CAI.
from: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ghlight=klm+rtw

Now which of the below would be allowed?

1. CAI-NBO-LOS-NBO-JNB-DXB-ASIA---USA-EUROPE-CAI

2. CAI-AMS-CPH-AMS-LOS-NBO-JNB-DXB-ASIA---USA---DXB-CAI

3. CAI-NBO-LOS-JNB-JFK-LAX-NRT-ASIA-DXB-EUROPE-CAI

Thanks for helping me understand these backtracking rules.

By the way i found this link that describes the prices for this special rtw partnership from many locations: http://www.travair.jp/rtw/kl-nw.html
Old Jan 22, 2005, 8:08 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
4/ BACKTRACKING WITHIN AN IATA AREA IS PERMITTED
5/ BACKTRACKING BETWEEN IATA AREAS IS NOT PERMITTED EVEN IF WITHIN THE MPM PERMITTED FOR THE JOURNEY.

This is a standard rule. Once you cross from one IATA zone to another you cannot go back to the original one, but once you are inside a zone you can go backwards, forwards, up and down as much as you want, miles and segments permitting.

The general rule for the divide of the 2 zones is the Iran/Afghanistan border, hence CAI & DXB are in the same zone. You are allowed one Atlantic and one Pacific crossing.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 8:26 am

Thank you very much for your explaination, but sorry if i am a slow learner but I am afraid i am still not 100% on these zones, is CAI/DXB together with Europe or Africa? Is their any where online where i can see a map of some sort concerning these "IATA areas"? If you look at my three routing posibilities which of them are then legitimate?

Thanks again... I really want to understand these rules well before i pass on my itenery to EMECO, as this seems to be the best way of dealing with them.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 8:30 am

Are these the three areas that i am do follow?

Area 1
Encompassing all of the North and South American continent and the islands adjacent thereto, Greenland, Bermuda, the West Indies and the islands of the Caribbean Seas, the Hawaiian Island (including Midway and Palmyra)

Area 2
Encompassing all of Europe and the islands adjacent thereto, Iceland, Azores, all of the Africa and islands adjacent thereto, Ascension Island, that part of Asia lying west of and Including Iran.

Area 3
Encompassing all of Asia and the islands adjacent thereto except the portion included in Area 2, all of the East Indies, Australia, New Zealand and the islands adjacent thereto, the islands of the Pacific Ocean except those included in Area 1
Old Jan 22, 2005, 10:32 am

Thank you very much for your explaination, but sorry if i am a slow learner but I am afraid i am still not 100% on these zones, is CAI/DXB together with Europe or Africa? Is their any where online where i can see a map of some sort concerning these "IATA areas"? If you look at my three routing posibilities which of them are then legitimate?

Thanks again... I really want to understand these rules well before i pass on my itenery to EMECO, as this seems to be the best way of dealing with them.

CAI & DXB are in the same zone as Europe and Africa. The next zone is the 'Asian' zone and the other is the 'Americas', as you have got them above in 1, 2 & 3. Your proposed routings look fine to me, but I have been staring at a computer screen most of the day so may have missed something .

Don't apologise for asking, it's what FT is for. I also took a looong time to work out what to do and still haven't mastered it yet . I presume you have a copy of the rules for these Passport to the World tickets ?.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 11:16 am

Great... ok i think i am getting it now... if i now understand the rules correctly a routing like this can if flights are available be legitimate

1. CAI-AMS-CPH or even CAI-DXB-ZRH (to try the A345 ;-) which is flying this route in april)
2. CPH-AMS-ABV(Abuja, Nigeria)
3. LOS(Lagos, Nigeria)-NBO
4. NBO-JNB
5. JNB-MRU? (Mauritius)
6. MRU-DXB
7. DXB-ASIA
8. ASIA
9. ASIA
10.ASIA-USA
11. USA-DOMESTIC
12. USA-EUROPE (i want to be able to break our rtw in CPH if possible before taking the final leg to CAI - but would this be illegal, as i am entering a zone that i have been in before? As it is not possible to get from US direct to CAI i will need to do something like EWR-DXB-CAI or EWR-AMS-CAI, but i guess that this is legal, as its just transit in the europe IATA zone)

If have read through the rules which i found somewhere here on FT, and I am aware that i need to pay 100$ for each extra routing after the 10 that are allowed.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 1:40 pm

12. USA-EUROPE (i want to be able to break our rtw in CPH if possible before taking the final leg to CAI - but would this be illegal, as i am entering a zone that i have been in before? As it is not possible to get from US direct to CAI i will need to do something like EWR-DXB-CAI or EWR-AMS-CAI, but i guess that this is legal, as its just transit in the europe IATA zone)
It's not illegal at all. There is nothing wrong with returning back to your original zone and stopping for as long as you want before finishing at your starting point, ie CAI. The ticket is valid for a year and it's up to you how you do it, providing you stay under the mileage and and segment limits.

This is all from doing two *A ex-CAI RTW's last year. I haven't finished my KL/MH/EK/etc RTW yet so still have time to encounter any potential problems with differences between the 2. I would send your proposed itinerary to Emeco asking them to confirm the taxes AND if the route is OK.

In case you want to do DXB-JFK or vv on EK A345 I would confirm that it is possible and there is no additional charge. I thought I read that either they were not allowing pax to use these flights on a RTW or there is a surcharge. SQ now charge US$150 & US$500 respectively for SIN-LAX & SIN-EWR nonstops on their A345's.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 5:08 pm

Open dates KLM rtw Passport to the World

[QUOTE=MAN Flyer]Just finalising an ex-CAI CRWWJ30 now to hopefully get ticketed this week. You can leave the rest of your dates open after your first international segment.

Am I right in summazing you do not then have to pay the USD 100 fee if you leave the dates open? All the info I can get here from TAs and KLM seems to suggest you have to book dates and then pay the fee for each change - ridiculous - would anyone pay USD 3000 for a C/J seat and then that again on date changes??

Would be great oif someone could confirm for me if open dating will cut out the fee as we are about to book our trip.

Thanks and best wishes,

William

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.