Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin vs. Sheraton vs Four Points at LAX 2008 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin vs. Sheraton vs Four Points at LAX 2008 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2008, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Arrow Westin vs. Sheraton vs Four Points at LAX 2008 on [Master Thread]

and takes the SPG program seriously. They routinely upgrade Platinum guests (this week I was given an Executive suite, which was not 2 distinct rooms but was probably 600 sf, maybe more.). No free internet. Shula's, the primary restaurant, is a lot better than usually found at an airport hotel, and has a pretty decent wine list - overpriced, but decent choices.

My last stay at the Westin LAX was ok, too - nice 2 room suite, and no issues. Room was a little tired, and the towels weren't up to Westin standards, but the bed was fine and the staff was pleasant. The lobby was undergoing some much needed renovation, maybe someone who's been there recently can comment. But I didn't have the negative experiences at this property that other have reported (of course, I don't eat breakfast at LAX hotels, my flight leaves at 6am).
Old Jan 20, 2008, 12:20 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Club Presidents Circle
Staying at the Sheraton right now; it is light years above and beyond the Westin.

The 2 things that the Westin does have are:

Parking is _usually_ easier (sometimes the Westin parking lot is competely full). The Sheraton shared lot is miserable, and street parking is tough because of the restrictions.
The SPG gold/platinum line is almost always staffed (however, it doesn't mean it's faster than the regular line

A convention that used to be at the Westin is now moved to the Radisson down the street, but I'm just going to stay at the Sheraton and hike it a bit to the hotel.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 5:22 pm

Just stayed again at the Sheraton Gateway, and it remains my favorite Starwood property at LAX. The quality remains unchanged, and I've always received a upgraded suite.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL gold; UA - 1k; AA gold; Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; SPG gold; Groupon Falcon;
Sheraton LAX is a typical airport hotel. stayed over labor day last year and my only complaint was that the elevators were achingly slow - I eventually learned that one is best off going up on the elevator to 15, then going down. It was as if elevators woudl not stop on 12 going down.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 4:01 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium , National Car Emerald Club Exec Elite, AC 50K Elite
Apparently the elevators are being replaced with a digital system in the next few months which will reportedly solve the problems. Experienced similar issues with elevators (doors took a little longer than usual to open) during my stay at Christmas but wouldn't let this dissuade anyone from staying here.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 3:06 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Stayed at the Sheraton Gateway in early January with Mrs DUF and Micro DUF.
Check-in person was unfriendly and told us that they had no status in the system for me and that it would be my problem to prove that I was a Platinum.
Her boss fixed this problem quickly and I got upgraded to a "suite". Room decor was very nice and new with good fews as well. Unfortunately is was only a big room so no separate bedroom like a proper suite.
Lounge was nice and the rest of the staff was friendly and very helpful.
All in all a good stay at a nice airport hotel.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:16 pm

I actually had 3 stays at the Westin in February (along with 3 at the Gateway).
Besides the self-parking at the Gateway (which does stink), everything else is light years above the Westin.

However, these three stays at the Westin, I did get upgraded to a suite every stay (which I was 0/4 in 2007).

It would be nice to merge the best parts of both hotels... but I'm just dreaming.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 10:28 pm
Suspended

Stayed at the Sheratoan Gateway LAX recently and was given a room on the Club floor. Club floor breakfast is nothing to rave about as it is truly a continental breakfast, except for the fact that they serve fresh squeezed orange juice! ^^

The evening hors deovures when I was there for the night were some form of fettucinne alfredo, a nice plate of ham, and other meats, and some other items that I have now forgotten, but it was much better than the morning breakfast.

I liked the decor of the room and the hotel, but it was obvious that before the renovation in 2006, this was much more of a downmarket property. The bathroom countertop now sported a granite top, but you could see by the way it was originally fashioned, that it formerly was a formica top that was reminiscent of many Marriott properties that I have stayed.

I would definitely stay here again as Shula's is downstairs and although pricey, it was a nice dinner where one earns SPG points!

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Mar 12, 2008 at 10:34 pm
Old Mar 13, 2008, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Spent time at both in the past 12 months, to me Sheraton Gateway >> Westin LAX.

That said, I've been staying at the Four Points LAX every week for a few months now. It just seems like I get more bang for my (company's) buck. Usually I get upgraded to a Jr. Suite, there's always a welcome letter with a snack, and check-in/check-out/parking exit is usually quick and painless. The bar is great as well--excellent beer selection. The only negative--though I haven't died yet from the breakfast buffet (that's been included in a lot of room rates,) it really does need some work. If you go early it's OK.

Of course, I liked the Four Points a lot better when it was $99-$129/night. Recent rate creep has me looking around a little. If my LA office weren't right at LAX, I'd probably have moved on.

Last edited by bbison; Mar 13, 2008 at 11:02 am
Old Mar 13, 2008, 11:33 am
Suspended

Gateway @ Starpick rate of $99 = ^
Old Mar 13, 2008, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by bbison
Of course, I liked the Four Points a lot better when it was $99-$129/night. Recent rate creep has me looking around a little. If my LA office weren't right at LAX, I'd probably have moved on.
I agree. The rates are $150+/night, which is too high (especially if you're on the 405 freeway side.

Plus, parking is gated (been like that for a long while), so it doesn't make it the best deal anymore.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
I keep an eye out for specials like that, but it's difficult for me to do the prepaid rates.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
I would definitely stay here again as Shula's is downstairs and although pricey, it was a nice dinner where one earns SPG points!
LOVE Shula!
Old Mar 14, 2008, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood Plat, Marriott Gold
I stayed there last night on the Starpick rate ^

Upgraded to 1king on club floor, and we ordered hickory burgers from Shula's ^
Old Mar 15, 2008, 10:09 am
Suspended

I should also note that the Sheraton Gateway, like the 4 Points, the Renaissance, the Marriott and the Embassy Suites, is within walking distance to the Budget car rental site, although it is not across the street like the others I have noted above. Rather, it is a short 10 minute walk from the hotel.

I believe the Westin LAX is quite far from Budget, and am not sure if it is near any other car rental site. In addition, I do not know if their shuttle will drop you off at a car rental site. Perhaps someone can chime in with an answer to this question?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.