Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Committing a Faux-pas in Business Class

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2004, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Committing a Faux-pas in Business Class

I have a question for the forum. I have been a frequent transatlantic traveller and this has mostly been in Economy. I have now pushed the boat out and have purchased a business class ticket LGW-ATL-ORD-MCO-ATL-LGW. I am now worrying that I will commit 101 faux-pas whilst travelling in J.

Are they any unwritten rules in J class? I am totally housetrained but what would be the ultimate sin?
Old May 5, 2004, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by rcslt
...Are they any unwritten rules in J class? I am totally housetrained but what would be the ultimate sin?
You must intensely study powerpoint slides, work on a spreadsheet or shuffle papers constantly through out the flight. And on landing, turn on your mobile as soon as the disarm doors message is announced.

Seriously, just relax and do as you would normally. Business class isn't rarified in any form or fashion. The advantage is that you should hopefully be able to arrive at your destinations more rested and ready to get to work. I'd recommend on the LGW-ATL leg getting some work or reading in early, take a short break for a nap and then some more work or entertainment before arriving. On the ATL-LGW segment, have as quick a meal as possible and then sleep!.
Old May 5, 2004, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold; HH Gold
Relax and enjoy the experience, that's what you need to do. The first time you fly biz transatlantic is a lot of fun. Don't worry about commiting any faux-pas. Just enjoy it!
Old May 5, 2004, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
The first time I flew in Business I was struck by how everyone very methodically took off their shoes right after they got everything stowed and were ready to sit. This made me very happy. So, my advice to you: wear nice socks and enjoy!
Old May 5, 2004, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
comfort items

Experienced travels tend to settle in fast with a selection of comfort items. Their own eye shades, pillows, comfy shoes, ear plugs, DVD or MP3 players and once organized carry on with the flight. One piece of advice I can offer is not to chat with folks unless it is perfectly clear that chat is desired. A 'hello' or a quick nod is sufficient in greeting. Part of what you are paying for is a zone of privacy.

Do I miss it when the bean counters put me in the back of the bus!!!!
Old May 5, 2004, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Do NOT do the "champagne" snap when demanding champagne.
Old May 5, 2004, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
(1) Leave your children at home.

(2) Don't whine if they run out of your first meal choice. Be glad you get food at all, unlike those poor schmoes in the cattle car.

(3) Good fences make good neighbors.

(4) If you overindulge on the free booze, don't become an ahole.

(5) Don't expect the FAs to wait on you hand and foot, particularly on a long flight that spans continents. Feel free to get up and approach the galley if you need something.

(6) Enjoy!!!
Old May 5, 2004, 7:28 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
If you're house trained you're way ahead of many. Just be polite and know some people will be working, some sleeping, and some may just not be as thhoughtful as you.
Old May 6, 2004, 1:52 am
skye

Respect and consideration is very important.

Old May 6, 2004, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by EricH
The first time I flew in Business I was struck by how everyone very methodically took off their shoes right after they got everything stowed and were ready to sit. This made me very happy. So, my advice to you: wear nice socks and enjoy!

Maybe it's just me but I'm always amazed at how many people take their shoes off before take off and don't put them back on until they're disembarking. I know it's not likely to happen but if there is an emergency of some sort I want my shoes on for an evacuation.

Last edited by beergut; May 6, 2004 at 5:02 am
Old May 6, 2004, 4:56 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

I asked the question myself, before my first flight in Business some years ago.

But it was quite normal. Some people are doing work, but out of my experience mostly on day flights, seldom on a night flight.

You even do not have to wear something special, I fly in Jeans or Chinos and dress as usual on a flight.

So just relax and enjoy the experience of Business and the in-flight entertainment system etc. – and mostly important do not worry about a possible faux pas ....

Jan

P.S. I never put off my shoes if I do not get some slippers or have my own ones if I walk through the plane
Old May 6, 2004, 5:13 am
skye

Originally Posted by beergut
Maybe it's just me but I'm always amazed at how many people take their shoes off before take off and don't put them back on until they're disembarking. I know it's not likely to happen but if there is an emergency of some sort I want my shoes on for an evacuation.
If I'm not wrong, no shoes are allowed if you use the evacuation slides. Or maybe that's just for heels. Anyone?

Old May 6, 2004, 6:03 am

FT Members are Appreciated

I've been a happy visitor to FT for only a few months but I would like to compliment all of you FTers for your expressions of sincere interest and assistance to those of us who are in need of your experiences and advice.

You are "Appreciated"! Thank You!
Old May 6, 2004, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Don't fool with the seat, trying out all the buttons and positions like it's an amusement park ride. And don't pour down all the alcohol you can just because it's free.
Old May 6, 2004, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While you may irritate the pax around you by drinking and eating everything, playing with toys etc., the crew will probably find the whole thing very entertaining! If they look the friendly sort, let them know it's your first time and you may get some extra-special treatment.

Out of interest, who are you flying with?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.