My "illegal" pictures

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2004, 5:07 pm
JS
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Angry My "illegal" pictures

I took the E train to Jamaica to take the JFK AirTrain. On the second floor of the station, I took this photograph of the street as seen through the two-story glass wall:

JFK AirTrain 1

Then I took this photograph facing the other direction:

JFK AirTrain 2

I used to have respect for authority until the NYPD pissed me off last year. Add the Port Authority to the list of pigs. Goddamn do I hate New York more than ever.

In the middle of the above picture is a Port Authority Security Pig walking towards me. Zooming in on the above picture (poor quality, but the pig was pretty far away):

Port Authority NY/NJ security pig

So, this pig tells me that taking pictures is not allowed. I replied, "Why?" Pig said, "For security reasons." (of course!)

I said, "I don't see a sign anywhere that says photography is forbidden." The pig repeated that taking pictures was not allowed. I said, "What law allows you to forbid photography without even posting a sign?" The pig hesistated before responding, probably because he was surprised that anyone would question him. All he could do is repeat that he was told by his supervisor to tell people that taking pictures is forbidden.

I started explaining that the Constitution limits the powers of the police to laws actually passed by the legislature, and that there is no law that allows the police to ban all photography in a public train station.

The pig interrupted me before the civics lesson was over and said, "Do you want me to call the police?" If I had time to kill I would have said yes, but my flight was departing in an hour or so, so I passed on the opportunity.

Should I bother writing a letter to the Port Authority?

Old Apr 14, 2004, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, you were taking pictures of a public building in a public place, so of course you were up to no good.

Think of the children. Anything to make us safer. If you have nothing to hide, then you have nothing to fear.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 5:24 pm

The last US terrorist attack involved airplanes. Airplanes land at airports. The subway goes to the airport. The subway parks at the subway station. You took a picture of the subway station. You are a terrorist.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 5:29 pm

Location: Baltimore - Hyatt Lifetime Diamond/Courtesy Card, UA 2M
Well, it is kind of like TSA at the airport. It doesn't all make sense, but you are wreckless to argue with them, and could end up spending a night in jail or worse by doing so.

You can thank your government, all the way up to your President for this type of reduction in civil liberties. And it will only be getting worse and more widepread.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
This is one thing that hasn't received the press it should. Why is it that everyone has a right to take a picture of you but you don't seem to have the right to take a picture of anything else?

I think it was Microsoft that came out with something a while ago at some tradeshow.. a little necklace that you can put around your neck and it snaps pictures whenever it notices movement. You could literally record your life in pictures, except it appears that liberty has been silently squashed over the years.

Big Brother has eyes, but you're not allowed to.

There is hope, I guess. Cameras keep getting smaller. And I suspect someday someone will come up with prosthetic vision devices that are to record. We'll have to see how that one turns out... "sir, I'll need you to turn your eye off!"

Last edited by whirledtraveler; Apr 14, 2004 at 5:33 pm
Old Apr 14, 2004, 5:37 pm
JS
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by divaof travel
Well, it is kind of like TSA at the airport. It doesn't all make sense, but you are wreckless to argue with them, and could end up spending a night in jail or worse by doing so.

You can thank your government, all the way up to your President for this type of reduction in civil liberties. And it will only be getting worse and more widepread.
I took pictures from public areas of several other airports, including LAX, and was never hassled. This is strictly a NYC problem, not President Bush.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Somwhere on the highways and byways of the United States
Programs: WWBTNFTMTP Evangelist
Just follow our Masters orders and all will be ok.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Count yourself fortunate that Justice Scalia wasn't there - then an armed US Marshal might have grabbed your camera right out of your hands.

Looks like you got to keep the pictures.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 5:45 pm

Location: Baltimore - Hyatt Lifetime Diamond/Courtesy Card, UA 2M
Originally Posted by JS
I took pictures from public areas of several other airports, including LAX, and was never hassled. This is strictly a NYC problem, not President Bush.
Perhaps they didn't "catch" you at LAX.

Anyway, I find it amusing that you are concerned about the police enforcing "non-laws" and disconnecting this from the current administration.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Count yourself fortunate that Justice Scalia wasn't there - then an armed US Marshal might have grabbed your camera right out of your hands.

Looks like you got to keep the pictures.
Fun would be camera cellphone that sends as you snap. "We'd like you to turn over the film please."

"Sorry, its all out there" :-)
Old Apr 14, 2004, 6:18 pm
JS
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by divaof travel
Perhaps they didn't "catch" you at LAX.

Anyway, I find it amusing that you are concerned about the police enforcing "non-laws" and disconnecting this from the current administration.
Nope. Here is a photo of an ambulance, three police cars AND a cop!

LAX
Old Apr 14, 2004, 6:21 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
You should have snapped a few photos of Nazi-boy while he was harassing you and asked him to speak into an invisible microphone...
Old Apr 14, 2004, 6:29 pm
JS
Suspended
Original Poster

Spiff, that gives me an idea. Next time I might try this -- hang the camera around my neck, start recording a movie, and then walk up to the prick and ask him if I can take a picture.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 6:31 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Angry No acts of terrorism have ever depended on or even involved photography

Your Rights When Stopped or Confronted for Photography

http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

Download the flyer and keep it in your photo-bag.

http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf

Better yet buy the book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...11028?v=glance
Old Apr 14, 2004, 7:17 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
As to your statement that there wasn't a sign prohibiting taking pictures:

The Search function seems to be broken for pre-conversion messages, but I think the "other" JFK Airtrain thread around here somewhere mentioned that there was a sign prohibiting photography somewhere in the vicinity of the Subway station entrance...

I wanted to take some pictures of planes coming in low over the parking garage at SAN, but didn't bother because I figured I'd have to explain my presence on a public street to some law enforcement officer...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.