Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Help! My Wallet Was Stolen And Now AA Says I Can't Go Home!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2004, 8:44 am
Hoc
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist

I was hoping that one of you either has some experience or knows what to do in this situation. I am on vacation in New York City. My wallet was stolen last night. Nothing major, except that it has my only ID: My California Driver's License.

Obviously, I can't get my California license replaced from New York, and when I looked for my passport before I left (to stick it in my suitcase "just in case"), it was missing. So, I am stuck here without ID. My first thought was my flight back home on Thursday. How do I board?

So, I called American Airlines and explained the situation, and asked what I need to do to be able to board my flight back home. I was told that I would need to show two forms of Government issued ID, no exceptions. They said that was an FAA regulation, and there was nothing that they could do about it.

Well, I know that that is BS because I have always boarded by showing just one form of ID: My license. I still have one credit card that I carry separate from my license for situations just like this. But that is the only form of ID I have on me, and it does not have a picture. I have a police report showing the stolen wallet.

But does anyone here have any idea how I can get on my plane tomorrow evening? AA says I have to stay in New York until I die in the streets. Their words, not mine.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
Whomever you spoke to is ill informed. Last I heard, they will let you on, but (of course) subject you to the full body cavity search...

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The Greyhound driver takes cash.

This happened to a buddy of mine about 5 years ago. He had his ID ripped in Vegas and needed to get home to STL without ID. In that case, the airline (TW, I believe) had him searched exhaustively, and then allowed him to board. His bags got "extra" treatment - a full hand search while he stood there with a couple of airport security guards.

I do not know what the post-TSA process is. Surely you aren't the first one to have this problem, and surely there aren't hundreds of people stranded in the streets of strange cities (or hitchhiking across the USA) because their airline won't let them fly home. I would maybe call AA back and ask for a second opinion. Or check the TSA's website, or talk to a human travel agent in New York who might be familiar with the processes.

Do you have a passport back home? Perhaps someone could FedEx it to you...
Old Apr 14, 2004, 9:09 am
Hoc
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pinniped
Surely you aren't the first one to have this problem, and surely there aren't hundreds of people stranded in the streets of strange cities (or hitchhiking across the USA) because their airline won't let them fly home.
That was my thought, as well. I also thought that I had heard you could fly if your ID was stolen, which is why I was so surprised by AA's almost hostile response.

I couldn't find my passport before I left, as I mentioned in my original post. So, sending a friend to my house to find it would be useless.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 9:14 am

My wallet was lifted while in Reno...credit card company western unioned cash, and WN was actually pretty cool about the the whole thing. Called them, went to the counter at RNO and after they verified my home address and yada yada yada, they let me on the plane. I'm sure you'll get home fine, but FWIW, call the N.Y. State Police as soon as you can & report the license missing so at least if there's any identity theft down the road, you've made a police report. Get a copy of it.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 10:22 am

Location: PDX, AMS, MSN, ORD. Dedicated to finding a cure for Republicanism in our time. "Won't you please help"? "For the children's sake"?
Programs: ! "Ya can't tell da' playahs wit'out a program!" NW silver, DIRT everywhere else.
Originally Posted by Hoc
That was my thought, as well. I also thought that I had heard you could fly if your ID was stolen, which is why I was so surprised by AA's almost hostile response.

I couldn't find my passport before I left, as I mentioned in my original post. So, sending a friend to my house to find it would be useless.
Call the customs department. They can expedite a new passport in a few hours.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 10:29 am

File a police report and bring a copy with you to check in. If you are with someone in NY that you know, have them sign a letter that states they know you and you are who you claim to be. If you have a FF account with AA, this can also be used to help identify you by telling your personal information and account activity.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 10:58 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Executive Club Gold/Frequence Plus Red
I know it is a little too late right now to make a suggestion but as it happened to me a few years ago I was advised to make a few photocopies of my passport and have one in every piece of luggage while traveling.

It saved me a lot of problems when I lost my wallet in New York and had to fly back to ATL. I would recommend to everyone doing the same.

Good luck for your flight and sue AA for the suggesting of dying in NYC.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by magexpect
I know it is a little too late right now to make a suggestion but as it happened to me a few years ago I was advised to make a few photocopies of my passport and have one in every piece of luggage while traveling.

It saved me a lot of problems when I lost my wallet in New York and had to fly back to ATL. I would recommend to everyone doing the same.

Good luck for your flight and sue AA for the suggesting of dying in NYC.
One suggestion I've seen to help prevent this situation is to scan a copy of your passport and e-mail it to youself. Then, so long as you are somewhere you can access your e-mail (the business center of a hotel, for example), you always will be able to pull up a copy of your passport.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 12:31 pm

Would anyone really accept a photocopy of a passport as ID for boarding a plane? I find that hard to believe, but if anybody's ever had this work, please post!

I would think that showing up with a photocopy of a passport would still leave you at the mercy of the airline and the TSA regarding extra searches and/or denied boarding.

I like the suggestion of using the inside knowledge you have of your FF account to prove your identity. Has anyone ever had this work for them at the airport?
Old Apr 14, 2004, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by GradGirl
Would anyone really accept a photocopy of a passport as ID for boarding a plane? I find that hard to believe, but if anybody's ever had this work, please post!
I doubt it would work as well as having the original, but I suspect it would work a lot better than not having it at all. I suspect you'd still have to go through a lot of questioning -- and FF data should help -- but I think an airline would be more comfortable seeing the photocopy than not.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 1:08 pm

Programs: Delta DM, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Just go to the airport

First of all.. just stop talking to the people on the phone. Simply go to the airport a little early for your flight, and be prepared to answer a lot of questions. Don't stress about things too much, and try to enjoy the rest of your vacation!

But to correct the phone agent, there is NO FAA regulation requiring government ID. The regulation is that they positively confirm your identity... how the airline does that is left to its discretion when it comes down to it.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL UA
Something similair happened to a colleague ( he left his wallet in a bar). He called Corporate Travel who put a note in his airline record explaining the situation. At check in, he had to show NW his business card, and a letter that had been faxed from the company saying that he was who he was. He was searched thoroughly but they did let him on.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 1:46 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
My brother went through the same thing recently. Make sure you have a police report, as someone above mentioned. Bring that with you to the airport. They will let you board, but they will also inspect all of your bags and your person.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
AA's people are being overdramatic with you. My family and I were on our way to the airport for a vacation when my wife realized she'd left her driver's license in her "other wallet." (Oy.) But after an explanation and a once-over, Alaska Airlines let her board. Her checked bag got a good going-over, but the airline was reasonable. So there goes the "FAA regulation" stuff. Bet you can talk your way through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.