Feature Request List for new Bulletin Board System

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2004, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)

First off, let me say that I know where you are, and that there are at least a hundred things that are ahead of thinking about any feature requests. I've worked on major system websites and upgrading them, then running into all the problems that were never detected in the testing process and working through those -- database timeouts, web servers that don't respond fast enough, and code that's not threadsafe. Still, I wanted to start a request list so that you could follow those whenever someone does have the time to work on it.

Edited to add:I found out I'd completely missed one of the settings pages and both of these options were on there, so I was able to set them. Having said that, there are probably other feature requests that will come up through more use of the system, so I thought I'd still leave this post. You may still want to up the default posts per page depending on how the system handles the load.

* Switch posts per page from the current 15 back to the old 35 (or at least 25)
Under the old system, rarely did a thread go past one page, but I'm seeing a lot right now (and maybe it's just me) that are in the low 20's range, so they're wrapping to a second page. Having it all load on one page is faster for the reader, and probably less pagination work on the part of the webservers and database.
Edited to add:This option is available on the MyFlyerTalk > Edit Options page under the Thread Display Options section.

* Have users configure their time zone and show times based on their time zone settings
I know that's a big one, but I bet people are going to be confused by GMT and it's generally more convenient for people to see it in their local time. Even when I know there's a difference, I still find that I'm making conversions in my head. It would also help those traveling from one time zone to another since they could just update their preferences and everything would follow.
Edited to add:This option is available on the MyFlyerTalk > Edit Options page under the Date and Time Options section.

Hope y'all are at least getting to have a little bit of fun with the new system. Just ignore all of the slowness complaints while you're working on it and your life will be a whole lot simpler.

Last edited by StSebastian; Apr 1, 2004 at 4:38 pm Reason: Found these options on Settings Pages
Old Apr 1, 2004, 4:37 pm

Thumbs up

Both are your requests are user configurable!

Check the MyFlyerTalk area for setting viewing options and setting the time to your local timezone.
Old Apr 1, 2004, 4:47 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Question

When replying to a thread, how come we don't have the option to use the WYSIWYG
Old Apr 1, 2004, 4:53 pm

Check your MyFlyerTalk Area!
Originally Posted by jfe
Old Apr 1, 2004, 7:38 pm

Programs: AC, WN, AA
Originally Posted by John at Webflyer
Check your MyFlyerTalk Area!
Originally Posted by jfe
WYSIWYG isn't an option there. It just has the basic text box and the standard editor with formatting help. The WYSIWYG lets you see what your post is actually going to look like, as it is being typed.

Last edited by SonOfACockroach; Apr 1, 2004 at 7:51 pm Reason: Because we don't have the WYSIWYG, I couldn't see that I screwed up the code
Old Apr 1, 2004, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
This option:

needs to be enabled.

FewMiles..
Old Apr 2, 2004, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
If we're going to have the new Affiliations Profile property, shouldn't it show up on the left of each post just like the Location does?
Old Apr 2, 2004, 1:38 am

Programs: QFF WP :-0, AC, FlyBuys, Porter's Liquor Store, Mother's Helper
Can we have the jump to box again to make it easier to navigate around.

Oh,
Please.
Old Apr 2, 2004, 3:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
This isn't as high priority as some of the other features, but folk on chat would like to see the following brought back: a) seeing when people log come on/leave (especially lately w/ so many folk on chat cuz FT was down it's been hard to track who's on until they 'speak up'); b) smilies

Also, if there's going to be a separate affiliation category, shouldn't it show up somewhere? Right now everyone's adding it back to their location category to get it to show, which kind of defeats the purpose of having the separate category.

And thanks for all the hard work that you guys do - I know the transition hasn't been an easy one, and we all do appreciate it. Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Apr 2, 2004 at 3:52 am
Old Apr 2, 2004, 1:16 pm

Once we have the speed issues resolved to my satisfaction then you'll probably see that drop down reappear.

Originally Posted by GoldFlyer
Can we have the jump to box again to make it easier to navigate around.

Oh,
Please.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.