Wiki Posts
Search

Rome - Westin vs. St. Regis vs. Eden

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2004, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K3MM
Rome - Westin vs. St. Regis vs. Eden

I am heading to Rome (first time) for an anniversary celebration - narrowed the choices to the St. Regis, Westin and Eden. Any advice for a first timer, romance and good location and service?
I am an SPG Gold and Amex platinum holder (upgrade chances also count)

Thanks

------------------
UA 1k Hilton Diamond
Old Feb 13, 2004, 4:32 pm

I'd vote for the Eden. The St. Regis is on the Via Veneto, which just is not as fashionable as it once was. The Westin is on Vittorio Emanuel, near the river, but no great views (I would guess).

The Eden is a bit higher up than the top of the Spanish Steps, and has the most spectacular view of the city.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 5:19 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
I think the Eden is sophisticated and elegant and is the hotel I wish I could stay at whenever I go to Rome (alas only happens if Daddy is paying!!)
Old Feb 14, 2004, 8:07 pm

If you have Amex Platinum, there is a special running at the Eden, stay 3 nights and the fourth is free.

Old Feb 14, 2004, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the help - looks like the Eden and looks like a free 4th night!

Will report back in May

------------------
UA 1k Hilton Diamond
Old May 24, 2004, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Eden vs. St.Regis

This sounds like it was a good deal. How was your stay? Without the deal I think I would have stayed at the St.Regis and gone to enjoy the unforgettable view from the terrace/bar at the Eden. The rooms I've seen at the Eden were small without modern bathrooms/i.e. no separate showers, showers,upgradedupgraded toiletries, or fluffy towels;-) The gym was also very small. Has this changed? In comparison, the bathrooms at the St.Regis are among the best in world with large striking marble showers, double vanities, and deep long bathtub, plentiful large fluffy towels, and as many Hermes toiletries as you can use. The gym is large, with multiple brand new machines, a steam room/beautiful spacious changing room w/hermes toiletries and an on hand attendant/trainer. This said I wouldn't eat breakfast/lunch/dinner at the St. Regis but prefer instead the garden surrounded restaurant at the Rocco Forte Russie hotel, brunch w/view at the Hassler, or as mentioned above the restaurant/terrace w/view at the Eden.
Old May 24, 2004, 8:54 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Westin Update?

Has anyone experienced the renovated rooms, new pool, spa, and expanded gym at the Westin?
Old Jun 2, 2004, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Report on Eden

We had a nice stay in Rome at the Eden. I did get the Amex upgrade but even that upgraded room was quite small. I did not use the gym. The hotel staff was very good and the dining there was excellent. On my next visit, I will probably checkout the St. Regis or the Westin.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by rkt10
I'd vote for the Eden. The St. Regis is on the Via Veneto, which just is not as fashionable as it once was. The Westin is on Vittorio Emanuel, near the river, but no great views (I would guess).

The Eden is a bit higher up than the top of the Spanish Steps, and has the most spectacular view of the city.

FYI the ST. Regis in NOT on Via Veneto. That's the Excelsior (a Westin - sort of. I wish all Westins were like this one).

The St. Regis is the Grand Hotel just off of Piazza Repubblica. The location isn't great, unless you're in Rome for gov't business. In any case, it's one of the best St Regis properties (and that's saying something). Of course, prices are ridiculous.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 2:06 pm
omh

Programs: LH: FTL HH: Gold LHW: LC Sixt: Gold
Stayed at the St. Regis a few month ago and I would say nothing to complain. The location was just fine. The rooms were very nice und delicate.
The staff was very friendly and politely. The bar was great ( ambience, staff and drinks)

Would also suggest the Westin especially if you are looking for a pool.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 4:17 pm

I studied abroad in Rome and prefer the Hotel du Russie on Via Babuino. Excellent service and right by the Piazza de Popollo and a 5 minute walk from the Spanish Steps. St. Regis though oppulent circa Cesar Ritz is not where the action per se is. Although, all the movie premeres happen across the street from the Grand.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SuiteFlyer
I am heading to Rome (first time) for an anniversary celebration - narrowed the choices to the St. Regis, Westin and Eden. Any advice for a first timer, romance and good location and service?
I am an SPG Gold and Amex platinum holder (upgrade chances also count)
From your list, I would choose Hotel Eden. It's close enough to the Spanish Steps to be central, but because it's tucked away on a quiet street, it retains an intimate and tranquil feel—just what you'll need after fighting through the city's crowds all day. The rooms are elegant without being musty, the service close to impeccable (make use of the excellent concierge), and La Terrazza dell' Eden, the hotel's restaurant and bar, has some of the best views in Rome. Federico Fellini held court here back in the day and just like his beloved Via Veneto, the Eden has seen renewed favor of late.

However, my favorite is Hotel Hassler.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
I vote for the Hotel Eden, too. We had such a lovely stay there a few years ago. Used our Hilton points this time last year in Rome, but I would have preferred the Eden.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.