Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotels in Japan

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2004, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Hotels in Japan

My family is planning a trip to Japan next year. While I know the other thread is going, I would like a recommendation for hotels in Tokyo. We are willing to spend up to about 550 a night, so it is hard to find a luxury hotel since we are 5 people. The Park Hyatt looks like our best bet since it will let 2 adults and 2 children in our room. What do you all think?

P.S-So far, we are staying in a moderately-priced ryokhan.
Old Jan 12, 2004, 5:27 pm

That depends on where you want to stay...the Park Hyatt is a wonderful property with superior views, but a little bit away from Shinjuku train station. Other options in Shinjuku would be the Keio Plaza(Summit) the Century Hyatt, and the Southern Tower hotel.
The 'Tokyo' side of the city has the Four Seasons and the Intercontinental.
Yokohama has a Grand Intercontinental and the PanPacific. Just a short listing of what comes to mind, but location is everything. HINT: if you will travel with a 'TOURIST' VISA then purchase a JR train pass (unless you have family/friends that have vehicle to transport you) easy to use and IMHO well worth the $$$.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
Please be more specific about the composition of your party (how many kids, how old), how many days you're spending in Tokyo, and your primary interest (basic tourism, near a specific location/attraction, etc.)
Old Jan 16, 2004, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

We are 2 adults and 3 kids (14, 11, 6) Actually, I found a 46000 yen suite for all at the grand Hyatt, but am not sure I want to be in Ropongi. We are there for tourism.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 7:02 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think a suite at the Grand Hyatt for Y46,000 is a real deal, if it's a real suite. Take it. Roppongi is OK, you're only 200 yds away from two subway lines.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by aa4ever:
We are 2 adults and 3 kids (14, 11, 6) Actually, I found a 46000 yen suite for all at the grand Hyatt, but am not sure I want to be in Ropongi. We are there for tourism.</font>
46000 for a suite sounds very good (suspiciously good), but maybe the gods are smiling on you. "I am not sure I want to be in Roppongi" and "We are there for tourism" are cognitively dissonant statements. That's where I'd stay if I was a tourist meself.

Old Jan 17, 2004, 7:44 am
Original Poster

We just haven't found much out about Ropongi, so we were a bit worried. Also, this was called a "studio suite" so I don't know if it is really that great.

Thanks
Old Jan 17, 2004, 9:18 am

Roppongi is a nightlife district and major expat party area in Tokyo... all quite safe and low-key though, it's not Patpong. There's isn't anything very interesting in the immediate vicinity, 'xcept the new Roppongi Hills mega shopping/culture complex, but as noted earlier the rest of Tokyo is easily accessible by two subway lines.
Old Jan 17, 2004, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by aa4ever:
We just haven't found much out about Ropongi, so we were a bit worried. Also, this was called a "studio suite" so I don't know if it is really that great.

Thanks
</font>
Roppongi Hills (www.roppongihills.com) is THE place to stay and visit when in Tokyo these days. 26 million visitors to the complex since its opening in April can't be wrong. As for the hotel, you should check out their website:
www.grandhyatttokyo.com and enter the Japanese section. There is enough English there to allow you to navigate. Do not enter the "English Version" site, which will take you to a comparatively blah site without much information. Check out the accomodations section for pictures of the rooms and layouts. I've stayed there a number of times, but never in a suite. They look very nice.

Old Jan 18, 2004, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
I'd check with the hotel what a "studio suite" is...sounds suspciously like a junior suite and not all that big. Ask for the room dimensions as well as layout. If it is a real suite, as others above said, it's a deal and you should take it.

Talk to reservations at the Imperial Hotel and see what options they offer. They have many different size rooms and might offer a deal. Location is even better than Roppongi (probably the most convenient in Tokyo). The Okura seems to be discounting heavily these days. They are offering standard rooms for JPY19,000...you could two adjacent rooms for a reasonable price. I don't like the location quite as much as either the Imperial or Grand Hyatt, but it is still fine (IMHO, much better than the Park Hyatt).
Old Jan 19, 2004, 8:50 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jtrader:
The Okura seems to be discounting heavily these days. They are offering standard rooms for JPY19,000...you could two adjacent rooms for a reasonable price. I don't like the location quite as much as either the Imperial or Grand Hyatt, but it is still fine (IMHO, much better than the Park Hyatt).</font>
When I asked about the Okura in another thread, others were less enthusiastic, especially compared to the Park Hyatt, although everyone seemed to like it. I'm currently contemplating either the Okura or the Century Hyatt. I take it you'd recommend the Okura?

Please say a bit more about the Okura and why you like it.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by richarddd:
When I asked about the Okura in another thread, others were less enthusiastic, especially compared to the Park Hyatt, although everyone seemed to like it. I'm currently contemplating either the Okura or the Century Hyatt. I take it you'd recommend the Okura?

Please say a bit more about the Okura and why you like it.
</font>
There is no comparison between the PHT and the Okura. However, between the Century and the Okura, I'd take the Okura. Better location, better service, lots of 60's style and charm, and the best James Bond lobby ever.

Old Jan 20, 2004, 12:38 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Pickles:
There is no comparison between the PHT and the Okura. However, between the Century and the Okura, I'd take the Okura. Better location, better service, lots of 60's style and charm, and the best James Bond lobby ever.

</font>
I agree with Pickles. Furthermore, the Okura location is a much better than either the Century of Park Hyatt for most tourist stuff.

I'd still choose the Imperial over the Okura if you can get a reasonable deal. The Imperial has a huge variety of junior suites and other large rooms which might suit your needs. If you have a connection with a major corporation which has a significant presence in Tokyo, they might be able to get you some sort of corporate discount. At the very least, if you join the Imperial Club (no cost, just contact their office in the US or Tokyo)you'll get the standard corporate rate.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 2:03 pm

Thanks for the replies

The Okura has a main building and a south wing. Any preferences?

Old Jan 21, 2004, 9:24 pm

Programs: OW, *A, Bonvoy, WOH
I'm having no luck finding the JPY19,000 rate for the Okura. Any ideas on where to get that rate would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.