Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rome transport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2002, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Rome transport

Can anyone tell me the best way to get from rome airport to my hotel by the spanish steps
Old Sep 8, 2002, 9:28 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I've used this company before. They're cheaper than a cab, are waiting for you when you arrive and usually have late model MBZs.
http://www.limoservicerome.com/

Old Sep 9, 2002, 6:47 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
Avoid the subway during AM rush (until 10:30 or 11:00) with your luggage. Heavy crowds & pickpockets.

We arrived at the Termini rail station about 4:30 PM and the subway was much less crowded in the afternoon than the morning.
Old Sep 9, 2002, 9:41 am

There is a non-stop train which takes you to Termini station, where you can take a taxi. The cost is considerably cheaper than taking a taxi all the way and much faster. I believe it runs every hour. There are also other trains which will take you to stations in Rome that also run frequently. Check with the info desk when you clear customs - they can tell you which train will get you there fastest and closest.
Old Sep 9, 2002, 11:23 am

It depends on how many people are traveling. If it is just you, take the train. If you have more than one person, you would be better off taking a taxi. The cost is about equal.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 2:45 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by letiole:
I've used this company before. They're cheaper than a cab, are waiting for you when you arrive and usually have late model MBZs.
</font>
I'm going to use them in a few weeks. Their site says:

The LOWEST RATES IN ROME!
NO HIDDEN COSTS!!
Prices include luggage, air conditioning and service.

RATES TO/FROM THE AIRPORTS TO/FROM DOWNTOWN

Up to 3 passengers (car) 42
4 passengers 52
For each additional passenger (up to 8), add 5
For holiday (Sunday incl.) and night service between 09:00 P.M. and 07:00 A.M add 20%

So here's just the dumbest question for people who have used them - it says "prices include service" - so what have you all tipped?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 4:50 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tommy17:
Can anyone tell me the best way to get from rome airport to my hotel by the spanish steps</font>
Look to the update I made some time ago (30/07) on the FCO airport forum.
Answering to your question, I'd say all depends on how many are you travelling and how many baggage you are carrying...
Commuting train and underground at Termini station is neither difficult and time wasting and
if you think to catch a taxi look for the alternative and cheaper train (FM1) to Trastevere or Piramide and jump on a cab there.
www.adr.it could be of some help too.
Enjoy "La citt eterna"
Old Sep 19, 2003, 5:40 pm
sk3
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by antoniospqr:
Look to the update I made some time ago (30/07) on the FCO airport forum.
Answering to your question, I'd say all depends on how many are you travelling and how many baggage you are carrying...
Commuting train and underground at Termini station is neither difficult and time wasting and
if you think to catch a taxi look for the alternative and cheaper train (FM1) to Trastevere or Piramide and jump on a cab there.
www.adr.it could be of some help too.
Enjoy "La citt eterna"
</font>
Hi Antonio. I actually dug up this old thread to ask a question about the limoservice - the original question on this thread was asked last year. (Hopefully the guy had a great time ).

But can I ask your opinion on my question? Tipping practices vary so much by culture - there are alot of heated debates on other threads out there to prove it! But I'm used to tipping the US standard of 15-20% for restaurants, cabs, car services, etc. When I've asked Romans before they say, oh just a couple of euros, what ever you feel. But I get lost without that percentage guideline.

So would you care to suggest what I should tip for this Limo service of 42? (where it states service incl). There will be just one pax - me, and I have one light carryon on rollers.
Old Sep 20, 2003, 6:03 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
So would you care to suggest what I should tip for this Limo service of 42? (where it states service incl). There will be just one pax - me, and I have one light carryon on rollers.
</font>
We romans (and generally speaking italians, in Milan venice and other northern Italy cities may be slightly different) don't care too much for tipping...tips are not forbidden but I usually never tip anyone...Well it's up to you and to your willing of rewarding a very smooth service, but do not think of calculating and/or adding any percentage.
No one will come to your table asking if something had been going wrong if you didn't left 20% service on your restaurant bill: salaries are not based on tips...
Unfortunately, a lot of people (in hotel restaurants and maybe at limoservice) take undue advantage on tourists (mostly US citizen and Japanese) who don't know which tipping rules are effective in Italy...none!
Feel free to give one euro or two (maybe three at Limoservice: you may lend 45euro in notes without waiting for the change -50 it sounds to me a waste!-) or do not wait for your change if you really enjoyed what you had. You may even give the driver the exact change if you have it: he would be a little surprised due to your behaviour and while he was expecting something more but, as you told before, service is included! Do not bother at all....

BTW, In my honest opinion I do not feel limoservice is cheaper than a taxi, as someone (letiole, I think), stated above: a cab ride fare swaps between 30 and 40 but it ought to ask the driver before, to avoid bad surprises!

Enjoy Rome, you all!
Old Sep 20, 2003, 7:19 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by letiole:

</font>
letiole:
I have read your recommendation before and used this service. Thanks!
They e-mailed me 3 cell numbers, in case i miss the driver.
The driver was waiting for me at the airport. He had a small, clean Mercedes bus, and the price was O.K.
I would use this service anytime again.
Next, on some places, like termini, you will find a long, long que, waiting for a taxi.
Old Sep 20, 2003, 5:02 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tommy17:
Can anyone tell me the best way to get from rome airport to my hotel by the spanish steps</font>
Another suggestion is to check with the hotel by e-mail or phone to see if they have pre-arranged limo service available. If we had it offered to us from our apartment rental, hotels should have the same. Private Mercedes from FCO to P. Barberini=50 Euro. he was waiting for us with a sign.

------------------
Have a nice day flying United!
ChgoBob
Old Sep 20, 2003, 9:29 pm

Tommy,
Where are you staying? We stayed at the Intercontinental at the top of the Spanish Steps, and by joining their 6 Continents Club we got a fantastic rate on a limo. We also got an incredible upgrade on the room.

Might just be worth it.
Rita
Old Sep 22, 2003, 11:03 am
sk3
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by antoniospqr:
We romans... (and generally speaking italians, in Milan venice and other northern Italy cities may be slightly different) don't care too much for tipping...tips are not forbidden but I usually never tip anyone...Well it's up to you and to your willing of rewarding a very smooth service, but do not think of calculating and/or adding any percentage.
No one will come to your table asking if something had been going wrong if you didn't left 20% service on your restaurant bill: salaries are not based on tips...
Unfortunately, a lot of people (in hotel restaurants and maybe at limoservice) take undue advantage on tourists (mostly US citizen and Japanese) who don't know which tipping rules are effective in Italy...none!
Feel free to give one euro or two (maybe three at Limoservice: you may lend 45euro in notes without waiting for the change -50 it sounds to me a waste!-) or do not wait for your change if you really enjoyed what you had. You may even give the driver the exact change if you have it: he would be a little surprised due to your behaviour and while he was expecting something more but, as you told before, service is included! Do not bother at all....

BTW, In my honest opinion I do not feel limoservice is cheaper than a taxi, as someone (letiole, I think), stated above: a cab ride fare swaps between 30 and 40 but it ought to ask the driver before, to avoid bad surprises!

Enjoy Rome, you all!
</font>
Much appreciated Antonio - very specific and helpful! Mille Grazie!

Old Sep 22, 2003, 12:58 pm

We romans (and generally speaking italians, in Milan venice and other northern Italy cities may be slightly different) don't care too much for tipping...tips are not forbidden but I usually never tip anyone...Well it's up to you and to your willing of rewarding a very smooth service, but do not think of calculating and/or adding any percentage.
</font>
Ha, ha, ha. In May 2003 i was in Napoli. We went to Restaurant Giuseppone a Mare, Via Ferdinando Russo 13, 80123 Napoli, Capo Posillipo. The food was excellent, the service was perfect. When the maitre/server delivered the bill, he told me: "It's without tip .. or .. tip is not included .. or so". I know that the tip is included, but what can you do? I added about 10% .. I had a nice dinner, nice evening, nice ambiance, and the guy was happy.
We where the only foreigners ... and I made a big mistake. When the server asked we where i stay, i said hotel Excelsior .. that was an invitation for him to "shave me".
I posted the address, because it's worth going.
Michelin writes:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"> "Beautiful location in the most elegant part of the classical town of Naples. A panoramic establishment with large windows looking out over the Gulf and the town; seafood cuisine."
</font>
Regarding the tip to a driver. I think it depends how the service, driving was. And where he brings you. When you stay in a very expensive hotel, you should give him about 5 Euro/$, in a small *** hotel 2 Euro/$ will be O.K. It's embarrassing, when you are driven to a hotel or area where you can smell the money, give the driver a 2$ tip, and he returns the bills: " I don't need your money ...!"
Old Sep 22, 2003, 5:08 pm

Is anyone familiar with a company called Airport Shuttle. They have quoted my 40,50 FCO to Cavalieri Hilton on Sunday and 38,35 for the return (0630 pickup). This is cheaper than limoservicerome since they charge 20% more on Sundays. However, I am concerned about the return. My flight is not until 0905. An 0630 pickup seems unnecessarily early (and extra expense due to nighttime charge). Am I being taken? Is it an early pickup because this is a shared shuttle? Should I just change to limoservicerome?

thanks,
marc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.