Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Advice Sought re Vacation Choices (Kauai vs. Tahiti)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2002, 5:09 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver

I am looking to book a one-week vacation in March for a special occasion. I will be using AA miles and Starwood points. I have narrowed my choices down to (1) Princeville Resort in Kauai, traveling on F class tickets, or (2) Sheraton Moorea ("Tahiti"), traveling coach. I have never been to either destination.

I have read the numerous posts in the Starwood forum regarding these properties, but am posting here in hopes of attracting some comments that are not specific to the Starwood properties.

[This message has been edited by cactuspete (edited 08-29-2002).]
Old Aug 28, 2002, 9:31 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Do you have the option of staying in Bora Bora? If so, where?
Old Aug 28, 2002, 11:02 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
For lodging, both are great. But it's hard to beat a bungalow over water on Moorea. Decision should be based more upon the distance and time.
Old Aug 29, 2002, 9:23 am
Suspended
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by obscure2k:
Do you have the option of staying in Bora Bora? If so, where?</font>
Trying to use SPG points, so I could do the new Starwood property there. However, it's more points, and there is some sentiment that it is not in a great location on the island. Also, it's one more transfer, which I would prefer to avoid.
Old Aug 29, 2002, 9:31 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
While this is certainly not going to be one of the prime issues, food costs in Tahiti are very high. At least in Kauai you have decently priced alternatives to the Princeville (who's food is quite good, BTW, but pricey).
Old Aug 30, 2002, 12:06 pm

Hi I have been to both tahiti and hawaii, and stayed at both those hotels!....Princeville Resort is beautiful, the hotel, the service, massages, food, and the staff are really great, they are not snotty like some exclusive places can be. Ditto for the Sheraton. Moorea is also great and Bora Bora. and just to tempt you there is Boracay Island in the Phillipines which is divine and far away from all the nasty guerilla stuff.
Old Sep 3, 2002, 9:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JEANNE:
Hi I have been to both tahiti and hawaii, and stayed at both those hotels.</font>
So, if you had to choose one over the other, which would it be?
Old Sep 3, 2002, 6:09 pm

For what's it's worth...

If you want something special don't settle for half special.

We have been to Moorea and Bora Bora and for your special occasion I'd skip Moorea and head for Bora Bora! Moorea is okay but BB will make you gasp at the beauty of this gem of the Pacific. The Pearl Beach resort was excellent! An overwater bungalow is great but the garden bungalows are great also.

You might want a custom package planned for you by Tahiti Legends in CA.

Best of luck with your special trip to celebrate a special occasion.
Old Sep 4, 2002, 4:18 am

If it were me, I'd choose Tahiti

ok, but seriously folks ... If you don't have enough miles for C or F to Tahiti, why not choose Kauai for this trip, and save Tahiti for when you have the miles to do it right?

-David
Old Sep 4, 2002, 9:14 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
What the difference in travel time? For a one-week vacation I might pick the closer destination just so less of the vacation is spent traveling. If going all the way to Tahiti I'd probably want to spend two weeks.

Just a thought...
Old Sep 4, 2002, 2:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LarryJ:
What the difference in travel time? For a one-week vacation I might pick the closer destination just so less of the vacation is spent traveling. If going all the way to Tahiti I'd probably want to spend two weeks.
</font>
Depending upon connections, Tahiti is approximately 3 hours further. Only have a week to spare, so perhaps Kauai is the way to go.

Thanks all for the input.
Old Sep 20, 2002, 9:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

bump
Old Sep 20, 2002, 10:09 pm

Programs: Air France FP. A rave ato'a ia'u te manureva. Haere maru!
It's really a matter of perception re: flights to Papeete. It's only ~7.5 hours from LAX (if you fly the AF 747-400), the ANZ 767 seems to take a little bit longer..but not much.. Several flights leave at night allowing you to sleep en route (AF), some (ATN) leave in the day allowing you to arrive in time for bed (and allowing a quick connection right away to MOZ ), and some (ANZ) arrive at a horrible 3:00 am not giving you much choice of anything!

I've been several (8) times since 1982 but go off the beaten path (next trip Rurutu and Tubuai). Apart from the obvious differences (French speaking, CFP currency, French influence), Moorea is becoming more and more Americanized by the minute (well a slight exaggeration, but it is changing. I'd say SEE IT NOW so you can remember what it 'was' like. Then again, most of us 'old timers' (i'm only 37) remember what it used to be like when we first went... It's still an extremely beautiful place, with verdant mountains, blue lagoons, blue/white water crashing against the coral reefs, delicious (and exotic) food and friendly people. A week is really not bad at all to be honest. Several first timers choose Moorea or Moorea and Bora. Depending on which airline you choose, it's very easy to come back from either Bora or Moorea the same day as your connecting flight. 2nd timers usually hit other islands such as either returning to Moorea or Bora and adding either Huahine, or Rangiroa atoll, or skipping the high islands all together and spending more time on the atolls of Rangi or even perhaps Tikehau or Manihi. Most internal flights are no longer than 1 hr and it's more of an adventure as say flying from SFO to LAX.

[This message has been edited by Axi22 (edited 09-20-2002).]
Old Sep 24, 2002, 2:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks, Axi22, for your recommendations.
Old Sep 24, 2002, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
I have not been to Tahiti, but spent a week in Kauai a few years ago. The physical beauty is incredible. There are pristine forests, waterfalls, beaches everywhere. If you are at the Princeville you will be particularly close to the really scenic area. If you have some funds to spare, consider taking a helicopter tour of the island.

Hawaii has some great food and is one of the most relaxing places I can think of. You step off the plane and immediately feel more mellow. I'm sure Tahiti is great, but Kauai is also a very special travel destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.