Search

Thoughts on Lanai and Molokai

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2002, 4:17 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Thoughts on Lanai and Molokai

Have read many many posts here in the Hawaii forum. Most deal w/Maui, Oahu, Kauai and the big island.

Does anyone have thoughts on Lanai and/or Molokai?

From what I've read, Lanai is sort of luxury placed on a beautiful island (kind of like Hayman Island in the Great Barrier Reef), whereas Molokai is "take us as it is" island, beautiful but w/o pampered tourists. Is this a correct view?

How about activities on either Lanai or Molokai? (NO GOLF please.)

I've been to big island, Maui and Oahu and loved them all. Kauai looks like we can do/see what there is to see in two full days (lazing at the beach aside).

Old Sep 9, 2002, 4:37 pm

I love Lanai! My husband and I live on Oahu and are slowly working our way through interisland trips to the other islands. Only Molokai remains - which hopefully will be taken care of this year.

Anyhow - there isn't as much to do on Lanai. There are two large Starwood Resorts (The Lodge at Koele and Manele Bay) plus one small hotel in 'town' with only 10 rooms. There are a handful of restaurants in 'town,' plus places to eat in the hotels. A shuttle runs between the three hotels. The Lodge is located 'up-contry' in the watershed area - it is misty, cool, - seems very unlike a lot of Hawaii. Manele Bay is a beach resort. There is some golf - but since I don't play I didn't pay much attention.

Possible activities include: lounging at the beach/pool, exploring town (which doesn't take long), hiking, 'minature' golf at the Lodge (very cool, and not at all like putt-putt), horseback riding, renting a jeep and exploring the island (can also be done on foot if you are a strong walker - some distances 10+ miles)., snorkeling, dining.

The town itself is really only 2 or 3 blocks of small stores and restaurants. Pele's Garden has great food. The hotel restaurants are good, although pricey (these are 5 star resorts - and restaurant pricing was in line with room costs). We stayed at the Lodge during our visit and I would definitly go back.

We had a great time hiking around and exploring the island. We didn't bother renting a jeep (which, BTW - costs something like $150 a day w/o insurance) since we love to walk. I definitly want to go back since 3 days didn't give us time to see some of the other areas of the island (we were too busy playing at the beach/pool and hiking in the area close to the lodge).
Old Sep 9, 2002, 5:42 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Bill,

As for activities on Molokai it's pretty limited to hiking - there's a hike to a waterfall at the opposite end of the island from the Sheraton. The resort chargs $130 or so a person to take you, but we bought a guide book and ventured out on our own. It's a little tough to find the trails because they've been washed out recently. The landowners around there were friendly and helped us find the trailhead. One tip is to cross the first river where you see the wire going across to hold on to. Bring mosquito spray.

Other than that the resort offers mountain bike rentals (bring your own gloves), skeet shooting, archery, horseback riding, kayaking. There are some dive charters too. You also can visit the leper colony. There's a donkey ride up/down the hill or you can hike it.
Sheri
Old Sep 9, 2002, 6:34 pm

Lanai is an expensive and lovely place to go to drink, rather hard to get into much trouble either. Of course, avoid the skeet shooting after the drinking.
Old Sep 12, 2002, 3:38 am

We just got back from Lanai yesterday. It was wonderful - even jusitifed 16 hours of flying each way to get there!

stayed at both the Lodge and the Manele Bay. To get the best ouf of the island, you really do need to stay in both.

Accomodations are pretty luxurious, and the service is also good. However, the food is on the OK side of good, but very expensive. Not surprisingf, given that the hotels have a near monopoly and are known for their upmarket clientele. We ate a couple of nights in Henry Clay's at the Hotel Lanai in town. Food is pretty good, but again pretty expensive for what you got.

The best atmosphere we experienced was at the golf club at Manele Bay. Food is good, wine is also good and the views (especially of the sunset) are awesome.

To add to the list of activities, the Trilogy snorkelling / scuba trip is to be recommended.
Old Sep 15, 2002, 2:58 pm

Programs: FT Member # 642
I love Lanai. It is expensive for food because you have to eat hotel food no matter what. Henry Clays is still not cheap either and you can charge your dinner to your Manele Bay or Koele Lodge room.

There was a small local eatery (more like a stand) but the nothing there sounded good to me.

I haven't been to Molokai yet. From what I heard I am not too anxious to go there (nothing bad just nothing real positive) however I will go because I have to go at least once.

Maybe go one or two nights to Molokai then spend the rest of your time in Lanai.
Old Sep 17, 2002, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
I have been to Molokai and found it quite nice. I did a writeup for a FlyerTalk community and also posted a copy at my own trip report site. Trip 4 has the Molokai trip at http://trip.myhawaiiansite.com.

Molokai is quite laid back. I would compare it to a town in the midwest where if you happened to show up there, the people would be friendly, but you would not know anyone and would have to make your own entertainment. It is a far cry from a hot-bed of activity like Kauai :-)

If you plan your trip right you may be surprised as I was to see thousands of visitors on the island for the outrigger races. Other than that, you can explore the small island at your leisure and perhaps make a few friends.

I didn't see any souvenier shops and there really are few places to shop anyway.

I suggest the island for those who want to unwind and relax. The cliffs are very high and the countryside quite beautiful. I'll post the photos of the cliffs at http://myhawaiiansite.com/molokai.htm when I find them. There are some other island photos there to give you an idea of the terrain.

I didn't get to hike to the falls as another poster above mentioned. I did get a chance to drive the one lane road to the east end of the island and the beach there. Be VERY CAREFUL as you round any curve on that road :-)
Old Sep 24, 2002, 7:41 pm

In addition to what has been written already, the swimming with the dolphins both at the beach in front of Lanai's Manelee Bay resort and nearby at the main island dock is TREMENDOUS.
Old Feb 1, 2003, 8:54 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by minatonka:
In addition to what has been written already, the swimming with the dolphins both at the beach in front of Lanai's Manelee Bay resort and nearby at the main island dock is TREMENDOUS. </font>
I assume the dolphin swim in front of Manelee bay resort is run by the resort. Is the island dock swim run by a resort? did you make an advanced reservation for this?

Also, I've read much about touring by 4WD Jeep on Lanai, The off roading seems to be true off roading w/some trails taking 4-7 hours to navigate. Any feedback?
Old Feb 1, 2003, 4:30 pm

Great laugh!!!

This was totally natural and spontaneous. When we arrived by boat around Lanai and into the harbor, we saw some dolphins swimming near the boat. Later, we saw them swimming offshore near Manele Bay Resort. We just swam out and joined them. The next day, we were swimming in the harbor and saw them again. Then while leaving the island, they swam around the boat, and the captain did a wide 360 and they swam with the waves.

Great memories.

Old Jun 5, 2003, 11:03 am
Original Poster

OK, now that I've been to Lanai, I'm going to Molokai this winter which will be the last island to visit until I get invited to Ni'ihau (most likely will not happen ).

So anymore thoughts/experiences about Molokai?

(letiole, I'm going to search for your trip report now.)
Old Jun 5, 2003, 11:56 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Not even Niihau is off limits anymore - although I don't believe you can spend the night.

http://www.hawaiian.net/~niihauisland/heli.html
Old Jun 6, 2003, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

I had asked about the Sheraton on Molokai in the Sheraton Forum. The following response from a fellow FT'er I thought was great so I'm copying and posting here to keep the info on Molokai flowing.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Molokai is not for everyone! The other islands are the only ones that have real resorts. But if you don't care about fancy, big resorts and you don't need much (or any!) nightlife, it can be a special place to visit. But I know some people would be just bored there!
We stayed at a fabulous beachfront cottage on Molokai, one of two owned by the Dunbars, a local family who have been ranching on Molokai for several generations.

http://www.molokai-beachfront-cottages.com/

We had a gorgeous cottage with a private beach, and could see across to Maui. The downside is that there are located quite a distance from the main town (Kaunakakai), but we liked the drive. We booked a car rental from a wonderful local company called Island Kine, who met us at the airport and drove us into town to pick up our car, and gave us a lot of information along the way.

http://molokai-car-rental.com/

We had dinner and drinks at the Hotel Molokai and would certainly consider staying there on another trip. Kitschy, with a polynesian look, but practical accomodation (you can get kitchenettes) and reasonably priced. We enjoyed our dinner.

At the very least, visitors should go to the Kalaupapa lookout and look out over the old leper colony and the steep north shore cliffs.

A drive to the Halawa Valley was stunning, but the road is EXTREMELY narrow at times with sharp and winding curves.

We visited Papahoku Beach (very beautiful) and the golf course out at Kaluakoi Resort. The golf course had been left to deteriorate but I believe there are new owners and they had 9 holes in operation when we were there. Still a bit sad, though.

A visit to Purdy's farm and their wonderful macadamia nuts is recommended.

Molokai has some water shortage issues, I believe, which will limit development and the locals are often extremely ambivalent about tourism. Their island is not prepared for any kind of large-scale tourism and they really don't want it to happen, anyway.</font>
Old Jun 6, 2003, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Wow... lived on Oahu all my life and I've only visited the Big Island, Maui and Kauai. I guess I need to get out more.
Old Jun 18, 2003, 1:04 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors Gold, Delta Silver Medallion, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm going back to Molokai during my honeymoon, which will also include stays in Kauai and Lanai.
I can't recommend Molokai highly enough. It's a genuine, down-to-earth place, with a variety of outdoorsy stuff to do.
Go out to the West Side and you can be on a humongous beach all by yourself. Take a short walk up to Phallic Rock (yes, the name is more or less on target), take the narrow road to Halawa Falls and sit by the water or swim with the locals. I haven't done the mule ride yet down to the former leper colony, but I've heard it's worth it. I'm pondering the cost, for the moment (about $150).
You can mail a coconut instead of a postcard from one of the post offices (not the one in Kaunakakkai).
Overall, it's a place to relax and imagine how all of Hawaii was before it was discovered by Jack Lord.
Have a great time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.