Search

EI to codeshare on US routes

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2003, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
EI to codeshare on US routes

http://www.online.ie/business/latest...rticle=2019175

Aer Lingus looks in line for a major boost after agreeing a deal with US giant American Airlines that it hopes will give it access to approximately 50 new routes in the US.
The State-owned carrier, which has emerged healthy from a painful post-September 11 shake-up, has obtained agreement from the US airline to "code share" on up to 50 routes.

Aer Lingus is now calling on Transport Minister Seamus Brennan to modify a bilateral agreement with the US to allow the routes to go ahead.

Brennan will be dealing with the bilateral issue at EU level next month when certain countries will press for an "open skies" policy which will effectively end such bilateral accords.

If the code share arrangement goes ahead, a passenger could fly using a single Aer Lingus ticket to one of the 50 US destinations, even though part or all of their journey would involve an American Airlines aircraft.

The advantage of code share arrangements from the passengers' perspective is they can access destinations with one ticket and do not have to pay for two separate flights.

Old May 28, 2003, 10:29 pm
sgm

Programs: BA Gold
I wish AA would fly an aircraft to Ireland.
Old May 29, 2003, 2:13 am
Original Poster

It is hotly rumoured that there's a new route to Florida to be announced, and it is to be AA operated.

The other very likely route is SFO - no surprises there, then.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 7:31 pm

Programs: ConciergeKey 4MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Haven't they openly stated they intend to introduce 2 new US gateways upon completion of the EU-US aviation talks? One in Florida (Orlando, I suppose) and one in California (San Fran, no doubt). They also say they expect to add a further two US destination shortly thereafter. Any guesses? DFW perhaps as one? Or maybe Atlanta and Philly, just out of pure spite??

I wonder what aircraft they'd use on these new routes? I can't see them filling A330's with any consistency. Maybe they're thinking along the lines of this chap... http://www.msnbc.com/news/930856.asp

[This message has been edited by OWdevotee (edited 07-01-2003).]
Old Jul 3, 2003, 4:03 am
Original Poster

The first two airports being talked of are certainly Orlando and San Francisco, though there is a strong rumour that infact it might just be Oakland...

San Fran is the number one interline destination for EI in the US, so they probably could consistently fill an A330.

I'd be surprised if EI copied Delta and US Airways routes - their strategy at the moment is to snap up routes for the future. My guess is that Canada is high on the agenda, while Capetown is now firmly off the agenda (again...)
Old Jul 5, 2003, 8:37 am

Interesting. Did the pilots scupper Cape Town again?

With regard to Canada, I wonder why they feel the need to wait... don't they already have route authority to Canada? The U.S./E.U. negotiations wouldn't impact Canadian destinations unless they were to be served as an extension to a U.S. route. Don't see that scenario playing out.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 2:18 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by OWdevotee:
Interesting. Did the pilots scupper Cape Town again? </font>
The pilots' position regarding rest stops and facilities on the CPT route hasn't changed, to my knowledge; I'm led to believe that EI feels they'll yield more on the various new north american routes being opened, so they're concentrating the new aircraft there.(Only question now is what will the new aircraft be? Only two months to wait now...)

As to Canada, I believe that they do have the route authority already, just that the market isn't big enough yet. Mind you, prices from DUB to Canada have gone up about 30% in the last year, so what does that tell us?
Old Jul 9, 2003, 6:46 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GoldCircle:
Only question now is what will the new aircraft be? Only two months to wait now</font>
Good question - just hope they're not going to wet lease those old World Airways DC10's and MD11's.

Old Jul 10, 2003, 1:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold. EI GoldCircle
sorry for no posts here in while but i have been up to my eyes (in the process of finding a new home)

but i beleive that EI are scarping the 146's and from what i read on the EI website in their anual report was that they are going to commonise the fleet to me that seems like they are going the airbus way so hopefully some new A330's i would say no hope of a A340 that would be just too good to be true

As for Canada i think that they did get the authority sometime last year about when AC started the route if i remember correctly

Good to be back

IFB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.