Mileage Run Suggestions?

Subscribe
I need about 30 segments on Delta to maintain PM status. Any mileage run ideas appreciated. I can make weird trips over the weekends if needed!!
I don't know the "soft spots" in DL's pricing, so can't offer a lot of specific advice.

My best advice to you is to look at cities served by Southwest Airlines - they tend to drive down prices in a market. You can go to their website and see the cities they serve.

For example, in Hartford I can do BWI for $99 RT. 4 segments/2000 miles. Not a ton, but terrific for topping off Elite status.

------------------
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."
Can you fly on another points affiliated airline like UA and add your DL # to the UA locater? How many MILES v/s segments do you need? Often a round trip on special from FL to China, Asia, Australia etc, is easier and cheaper than trying for "segments". FL to SYD for eg is about 20,000 mies r/t. Cost often as low as $800 r/t. UA have on sale this week Chicago to Shanghai for about $US550 r/t for example .. see the UA board.
flyguy -- Is it really worth it? It is nice to be able to upgrade (domestically) at the time of booking, but I haven't noticed much difference between GM & PM.

Personally, I wouldn't fly unnecesarily to make PM, even if were sitting at 90,000 miles .. (in fact, this happened to me in 1998).
Wow, y'all should dump Delta then and look at the difference btweeen a UA 1P and a 1K. I'd certainly do a cheap mileage run to gain THAT! And I will be doing just that soon!

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 07-14-2000).]
ozstamps, ONLY DOMESTIC Delta miles can be added to your UA account, and they don't count towards UA elite status. But then, flyguy was asking about Delta mileage run ideas...I think Delta is pretty prominent on the USA east coast. That's probably why it's his choice of airline. I live on the west coast and Delta doesn't have the extensive routings here (at least in the Pacific Northwest).

So if he is needing 30 segments to reach PM, and wants to do it segment-wise, that probably means he has a very low mileage balance, and that it would be MUCH harder to achieve PM by miles.

Just my two cents...

Linda

I.C. Still Delta run a lot of It'l routes still don't they? Still is often a far cheaper and faster option than 4 x 8 segment domestic runs!

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 07-15-2000).]
That's a lot of segments to make up.
If you need base miles, you can wait till fall and do some Europe trips out of ATL. This past off season, we went to Paris 2X, Vienna and London. We never paid more than $320 RT.
If you want to make some cheap Delta runs. Book roundtrips to NW's hubs such as Detroit, Memphis, or MSP since Delta on their website has some real good fares. I flew my son from DTW to Providence for $140 through CVG on Delta when NW wanted $430. You could get 4 segments for around $120.

------------------
how about atlanta-anchorage? delta has it on sale approx. for $420.00 RT
there must be plenty of segments to get there and back?
can someone figure out a possible run? i might want to do that myself!
Thanks all for a ton of good ideas. Yes, my mileage tends to be low and segments up as many trips are east coast from Florida. So, I plan to do a few many segment trips to get there as business travel drops off aroud October for me this year.
UA has $220 RT MCO-ONT 2nd and 3rd week of Sept. I don't know if those miles can qualify you in SkyMiles

f
I found FLL-TPA-ATL-BNA-ATL-TPA-FLL for $107. You have to stay overnight, and the fare appears to be good for travel only during the month of September. That's about $19 a segment. Do a few of those in September, and you're well on your way.
thx motnot-book over internet, i guess. great tip. thanks again
Oops, make that $18 a segment.