Original Poster

Programs: UA
Holy Catman! Catman made on WSJ Interactive

Congratulation, Catman!

http://interactive.wsj.com/public/cu...ssFareMain.htm

Dan.
Old Jun 16, 1999, 9:35 am
Original Member

Hey Dan, which article are you talking about? I did not see the name of our world famous Catman!
Old Jun 16, 1999, 9:37 am
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
That's a URL that chenges daily. He was there yesterday...
Old Jun 16, 1999, 9:53 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
did anyone save that article, does anyone still have access to that article, can anyone please copy it here?

[This message has been edited by Rudi (edited 06-16-1999).]
Old Jun 16, 1999, 11:47 am
Original Member

I did not see the article yesterday either, but if you can remind me of the article I will post it here. Thanks.
Old Jun 16, 1999, 12:37 pm
Commander Catcop

I want to see this famous article!!!

What did I talk about?? What did I say??? WHY WAS I QUOTED???

I don't want to be quoted without prior knowledge!!!

Plus I want to show off to the people I have my name in print!!!

------------------
MEOW! MEOW! MEOW!!!

Old Jun 16, 1999, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA

Oops! Looks like the article which was on airline websites' design is not there anymore. I don't have full access to WSJ interactive. Is there anyone who has full access can look up for the artcle?

Dan.
Old Jun 16, 1999, 12:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: One World
Continental Scores With Site Revamp,
But the Airline Needs a History Lesson
By JANE COSTELLO
THE WALL STREET JOURNAL INTERACTIVE EDITION

Now that Continental Airlines has redesigned its Web site www.continental.com , passengers can finally find the seat maps.

That's just one of the advantages cited by visitors to the airline's new perky yellow- and blue-hued home page. Timely topics such as flight information, e-tickets and frequent-flier miles have been moved to more prominent positions, along with the link to seat maps.

The buzz in cyberspace from those who have visited the new site has been mostly positive. "Continental has improved on what I thought was a fine and workable Web page," writes "Catman," a frequent contributor to WebFlyer's www.webflyer.com FlyerTalk bulletin board.

Unlike United Airlines, which is revamping its poorly laid out Web site www.ual.com in a series of installments, Continental chose to tinker with success by overhauling an award-winning design: The old site recently finished first in a consumer survey conducted by marketing research firm NPD.

But the Continental.com makeover does contain a few wrinkles. The seat maps are easier to locate, but users must download Adobe Acrobat to view them.

And while the re-launch of the site helps position Continental for the future, its creators could use a lesson in the past. The site's "Instant Enrollment" section forces international residents to choose their homeland from countries that no longer exist: The U.S.S.R. and Czechoslovakia remain firmly in the OnePass block of nations, as does a unified Yugoslavia.

The new site is definitely more of a good thing for the next millennium, but it's time for Continental to acknowledge events of the past decade. It's not too late to work hard, fly right and read a newspaper.

Old Jun 16, 1999, 1:45 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I believe anyone with a WSJ subscription can get a 30 day free trial- if they haven't changed it. Otherwise I think it's only $29./yr for WSJ subscribers!
Old Jun 16, 1999, 5:46 pm

I find it interesting that the Wall St. article needed to mention the problems with the country selection part in the "instant enrollment" section of the Continental site. It is such a minor, minor problem.

Given the fact that Continental doesn't fly to any of those countries that are affected (the former USSR, the former Yugoslavia, etc), how many people from those parts of the world be signing up for One-Pass anyways? Sure, there might be a couple here and there, but nothing to warrant the WSJ saying, "but it's time for Continental to acknowledge events of the past decade". I am not saying that they shouldn't fix it, just why give it so much attention?

If that is the only problem that they could find, then the Continental site is truly the most amazing site out there.

(If we wanted to play tit for tat, tell me why the www.wsj.com site doesn't even have a country selection choice on their order form... and their contact number is an 800#, which you can't dial from many foreign countries... Maybe it is time for the WSJ to realize that other countries exist besides the USA.. (Just as a test, I got to this subscription page below from the European edition of the WSJ))
see: https://interactive.wsj.com/print-re...ocs/wsjie.html
Old Jun 17, 1999, 1:07 pm
Commander Catcop

This is very interesting. Thanks for posting the article mijne.

But I say INTERESTING because I don't remember telling this Ms. Jane that she can quote me.

Maybe I did... I don't know.

Just strange that I am now quoted in print and don't remember saying OK.

------------------
MEOW! MEOW! MEOW!!!

Old Jun 17, 1999, 1:12 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Catman, I guess the question is do they need your permission to quote you since you've already "published" it by posting it publicly here, and they did properly attribute it to you.

I'm sure some of our lawyer friends here may be able to comment on this more intelligibly than me though ...
Old Jun 17, 1999, 2:09 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

To not be quoted don't you have to first clarify that it is "off the record!" I thoght that if you didn't it's all fair game!
Old Jun 17, 1999, 6:38 pm

Catman: maybe you were drunk too.

------------------
aloha!
www.hotshirts.com

Old Jun 17, 1999, 6:52 pm
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
Speaking as a journalist (which Catman is as well), simple courtesy demands that the author at least attempt to contact him to obtain permission to quote him.

I believe he is being overly kind (in his nature I guess) by saying he might have forgotten. I don't think Mark is the kind of guy who forgets very much.

So I'll be offended for him. I suggest we attempt to contact WSJ for an explanation / apology.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.