Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help! Alternative to Maldives? 2x140TP J legs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2024, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways

So, with my 8th June year end fast approaching, and meticulous TP planning to hit GGL for the first time, my lovely (albeit irrational) other half is reusing to go to the Maldives!

Sea planes are too dangerous in her mind.

Boat transfers will make her sick for days.

Uuugggh! You could write it

Please could anyone help with alternative equivalent-ish suggestions, for epic, quiet, beach hotel destinations, that are 2 x 140 (connecting in say DOH) flights away? Ideally, also with a <1 hour transfer to said epic fly & flop hotels/locations.

I appreciate this sits somewhat between TP planning and holiday advice (and Im sure general life advice to follow as well). So please move accordingly mods.

However, perhaps it will serve as a good resource as its own thread, for travellers seeking a 5 day, 1,120 tier point break

Many thanks in advance.
Old May 10, 2024, 7:26 am

Programs: BA GGL
What's your budget? Do you have any BA/OW status and any vouchers (e.g. GUFs)?

Ive not been to either, but Mauritius and Seychelles are typically considered the most fly and flop type destinations similar to the Maldives. Both are 140TP territory from DOH, SEZ being just over 2k miles. I think Mauritius at least has various hotels without boat transfer.

Note also that Banana Island in Doha has a Maldivesque (ish) overwater villa style so may be one to consider en route.
1Aturnleft likes this.

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
Most of APAC - Thailand/Indonesia/Philippines?
Cymro likes this.

Programs: SAS Gold, Hilton Diamond, OWS
Mauritius or the Seychelles maybe? There are nice hotels on Mah in the Seychelles so no need to transfer to one of the islands if you prefer not to.

BA flies direct to Mauritius and you can do Qatar to Seychelles via Doha.
FlyingSquirrel_ likes this.
Old May 10, 2024, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways
Originally Posted by flarmip
What's your budget? Do you have any BA/OW status and any vouchers (e.g. GUFs)?
Gold. But no GUFs.

Originally Posted by drwook
Most of APAC - Thailand/Indonesia/Philippines?
Thanks.

Just not familiar with this part of the world at all Any specific v high end hotel recommendations please? With short road transfers

Originally Posted by gbj42
Gold. But no GUFs.
Sorry - forgot to reply to the budget point. Looking for very high end.

Infact, Im Marriott Titanium, so should have added, Marriott chain hotels of course

(Still typing in disbelief)

Last edited by golfmad; May 10, 2024 at 1:18 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old May 10, 2024, 7:48 am

Programs: BA GGL
If youre looking for very high end then the worlds your oyster. A tier point run is usually meant to be the best value you can get per tier point.

You might as well just tell this to a travel agent and theyll happily take your money and do it for you.
Old May 10, 2024, 7:48 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Hilton Diamond, OWS
Originally Posted by gbj42
Sorry - forgot to reply to the budget point. Looking for very high end.

Infact, Im Marriott Titanium, so should have added, Marriott chain hotels of course

(Still typing in disbelief)
Sounds like Mauritius might be a good fit. Flights are out of Gatwick with the old club world seats if you want to fly direct, but I do not believe that you can get there on other OW airlines.
Old May 10, 2024, 8:10 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
If you need 2 140 flights each way then how about Hawaii. It is a long way but can be done in one day each way but that requires an early start back.
Old May 10, 2024, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Define high end in terms of budget: 200 a night, 500, 2,000.

Mauritius I didn't really love, Seychelles are glorious. SE Asia has some amazing destinations, for this time of year Bali is an excellent option.
m8_rotate and Holy2000 like this.
Old May 10, 2024, 8:40 am

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
I can't wait to tell my wife about a thread on FT where some-one is refusing to go to the Maldives in QR J.

Hope you get it resolved!
Old May 10, 2024, 8:43 am

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
If you want to maximise Tier Points, you will need to book via BA Holidays. In my experience, Marriott will recognise status ie lounge access, but you wont earn points. But the double TPs may compensate!

Phuket, Bali both possible via Doha, though the latter is considerably further. And plenty of choice of nice hotels.
Old May 10, 2024, 9:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
You could also consider Zanzibar, which is quite a niche destination. QR fly there once per day and it's far enough to be 140+140 TPs.
Old May 10, 2024, 9:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
140 x 2 via DOH there is also Singapore, and I agree Bali is lovely... but they are both nowhere close to the Maldives "feeling"...
Zanzibar I didn't like (the airport is... well, Naples seems JFK in comparison). Never been to Seychelles or Mauritius.
Old May 10, 2024, 9:24 am
Formerly known as tireman77

If it helps (though i doubt it does), a lot of the seaplanes in the Maldives are flown by ex-Canadian Bush Pilots from the Artic who have flown those Twin-Otters through the worst mother nature can throw at them. For them, flying in the Maldives is akin to driving a city bus. They are often in flipflops.

Love me a Twin Otter...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.