Wiki Posts
Search

Premier check-in - self service?!?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2024, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Premier check-in - self service?!?

The new Terminal A at EWR is indeed very nice, including the UC. But I find it unacceptable that the Premier check-in area requires self bag tagging at a kiosk, after which you have to bring your bag to a counter to be loaded. I believe this is even the case for the 1K and Global Services check-in (behind glass).

As a Premier member, I expect to have someone process my check-in; primarily my checked bag. Is this a test by UA? Is this practice done at any other airport? (Certainly not the case at EWR A). Are they testing the waters of how little service they can give to their starving Elites, who now have little chance for upgrade with lower cost paid FC, and devalued mileage reward schemes?

Thoughts?
benewr likes this.
Old May 8, 2024, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Bag drop short cut works pretty well IMHO. Faster than Premier check-in at HNL. I just go w/ whatever's fastest - agent involved or not. I'm not sure where you've been in last couple of years, but the move towards kiosks (even in Premier Access areas) has been going on for a while. A lot of airports will still help people who need to be serviced at a counter - it'll just take longer.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, uanj and 8 others like this.
Old May 8, 2024, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
LAX has primarily self-service kiosks in the main premier area, with roving agents to help as needed but AFAIK none behind a traditionally staffed counter. There is a separate 1K/Polaris line with two traditionally staffed counters, and a GS lobby but I don't know what goes on in there.
Old May 8, 2024, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
I've had this happen a couple of times lately, both at EWR and SEA. I went up to the agent and they directed me to the kiosk. When I said I wanted them to help me, they said I had to use the kiosk.
Old May 8, 2024, 8:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by elitefreak
The new Terminal A at EWR is indeed very nice, including the UC. But I find it unacceptable that the Premier check-in area requires self bag tagging at a kiosk, after which you have to bring your bag to a counter to be loaded. I believe this is even the case for the 1K and Global Services check-in (behind glass).

As a Premier member, I expect to have someone process my check-in; primarily my checked bag. Is this a test by UA? Is this practice done at any other airport? (Certainly not the case at EWR A). Are they testing the waters of how little service they can give to their starving Elites, who now have little chance for upgrade with lower cost paid FC, and devalued mileage reward schemes?

Thoughts?
Not sure which area you are referring to, but at EWR Terminal A the entire Premier Access area is behind glass, with the "shortcut" to PRE Check line.
Old May 8, 2024, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Amex Platinum
I can understand the frustration. At BOS, there are always well-staffed counters for 1K/Polaris and *Gold, so I've never really even thought of using the self-serve kiosks outside the Premier check-in area.

The other month, I was completely overwhelmed at PHX when trying to navigate the post-NCAA finals crowd (was there for a wedding personally) when the Premier line was 50 people deep and the kiosk area was a free-for-all and I'd never used the machines before. I think there was roughly one agent working the kiosk area. Needless to say, I missed the bag cutoff by 5 min, they wouldn't make an exception, and it was a very long trip home (but was able to be rerouted through SFO/EWR to enjoy the 757 up front).
Old May 8, 2024, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz Pres Circle, Hilton Gold, HGV Elite Plus, Choice Platinum
I was checking in at Vegas a couple of weeks ago. Walked up to the agent. She said, can you go use the kiosk and take your bag over there after you print the bag tag! She said her printer wasn't working. So, I'm thinking why are you standing at that station, it does no good because nearly everyone using the agents service will need something printed, most often bag tags.
Old May 8, 2024, 11:55 pm

similar story at SFO for premier access

don't care though. Just bought another $2k intl ticket. United knows us elites will (mostly) continue to fly united
keisari and BlueZebra like this.
Old May 9, 2024, 12:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, 2.4MM; AA EP
Shortest line =/= fastest. But I agree that bag drop works. My lack of confidence doesn't allow me to leave the area until I see my checked bag moving on a belt so I always wait for the helper to move it to the next step before I leave.
VRFast likes this.
Old May 9, 2024, 1:35 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by BOSskier
I can understand the frustration. At BOS, there are always well-staffed counters for 1K/Polaris and *Gold, so I've never really even thought of using the self-serve kiosks outside the Premier check-in area.

The other month, I was completely overwhelmed at PHX when trying to navigate the post-NCAA finals crowd (was there for a wedding personally) when the Premier line was 50 people deep and the kiosk area was a free-for-all and I'd never used the machines before. I think there was roughly one agent working the kiosk area. Needless to say, I missed the bag cutoff by 5 min, they wouldn't make an exception, and it was a very long trip home (but was able to be rerouted through SFO/EWR to enjoy the 757 up front).
Don't disagree - PHX is a you know what show for "Premier" check in. TBH if the machines worked like they do in Japan I would have no issues with it -- but the fact is THEY DON'T and Ive experienced many errors using the machines... The premise is great -- the execution is poor -- making "Premier" members in the MileageMinus program feel less than premier....

Just so everyone knows -- the process to check in a bag (domestically) at HND is amazing -- it's all automated -- you put your bag in the machine, scan your BP, the bag tag is printed (and you don't need to pull anything off the tag it's ready to apply), you apply the tag and then the machine will close and swallow up your bag -- a receipt prints out and you are on your way. It's a thing of beauty...
Old May 9, 2024, 5:28 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
I'm with OP on the "why should I do my own bag tagging when I have Premier Access"? However, I'll do the quicker of the 2 if the lines are crazy long at counter.
Just came back from a IAH-SLC trip. At both places they had self-service and a staffed counter, albeit more staff at IAH Terminal C. At SLC I used the 1K/GS line since there were no spelled out Premier area at the counter (sorry?). I was not turned away, probably because I was the only one on line.
lincolnjkc and benewr like this.
Old May 9, 2024, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I don't check a bag often, but 2 recent trips thru EWR required it. Bag drop short cut Terminal C was a cluster. Understaffed, no premier line, and no consistency about how the 2 staff members behind the counter processed bags. I waited quite a long time after my tag printed while they jumped back and forth between others that arrived after me. No organization to it at all.
bmwe92fan likes this.
Old May 9, 2024, 7:04 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I don't check a bag often, but 2 recent trips thru EWR required it. Bag drop short cut Terminal C was a cluster. Understaffed, no premier line, and no consistency about how the 2 staff members behind the counter processed bags. I waited quite a long time after my tag printed while they jumped back and forth between others that arrived after me. No organization to it at all.
Welcome to EWR -- where order is swapped for chaos -- and being a loud mouthed jerk is respected and rewarded... The only thing "Premier" about EWR is the badge of honor that you receive if you happen to survive... Even the GS lounge there can be apathetic -- a few trips back we walked in and everyone was on their phone and no one looked up -- we didn't know who to go to to check our bags.... Eventually someone relented and with a huff checked our bags -- par for the course at EWR....

We took the elevator down and of course no one there -- so I screamed at one of the "attendants" and they came over and parted the red sea to TSA pre check -- honestly -- if you aren't willing to fight your way for what you are entitled to -- EWR is not the place for you....
Old May 9, 2024, 7:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
The process fails for Premiers:
1) no priority tags at the kiosk - while widely ignored in the US they are of value internationally,
2) kiosks don't recognize status as it relates to bag weight - anything over 50 lbs is considered overweight and you have to have a UA employee over-ride, regular airport folks cannot.

Had both these issues and is mightily frustrating. UA have to figure out how to integrate self-service into status levels or stick to the old fashioned approach.
Old May 9, 2024, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LimeySD
The process fails for Premiers:
1) no priority tags at the kiosk - while widely ignored in the US they are of value internationally,
When I have used the kiosks - someone walks over with a priority tag for me or I simply ask. Currently Platinum and missing 1K a bit but lately flying Polaris.

Really, a premier status doesn't mean all that much, particularly from the hubs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.