Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Seat selection on “direct” flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2024, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan 50K

Does anyone know if it’s possible to select different seats for each leg of a direct flight? I’m looking at AC33 (YYZ-YVR-SYD), and when looking at the seat map for only seats available for both legs are shown as open. The YYZ-YVR segment only has middle seats in PY, whereas the YVR-SYD segment has aisle seats (along with the middles) available. Ideally I’d be okay with a middle YYZ-YVR, and would prefer an aisle for YVR-SYD. I haven’t booked the flight yet so I’m going off the booking page - so not sure if individual selection is available once booked.
Old May 8, 2024, 5:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by LukeyD
Does anyone know if it’s possible to select different seats for each leg of a direct flight? I’m looking at AC33 (YYZ-YVR-SYD), and when looking at the seat map for only seats available for both legs are shown as open. The YYZ-YVR segment only has middle seats in PY, whereas the YVR-SYD segment has aisle seats (along with the middles) available. Ideally I’d be okay with a middle YYZ-YVR, and would prefer an aisle for YVR-SYD. I haven’t booked the flight yet so I’m going off the booking page - so not sure if individual selection is available once booked.
In my experience it is possible. When you get to seat selection you are asked which flight and after a selection is made, there’s a prompt for the next flight. If one flight is not AC metal it works differently.
Old May 8, 2024, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bartolo
In my experience it is possible. When you get to seat selection you are asked which flight and after a selection is made, there’s a prompt for the next flight. If one flight is not AC metal it works differently.
I know that’s how it works for two separate flights with separate flight numbers (e.g. AC125 YYZ-YVR & AC33 YVR-SYD) but AC33 is treated as a single flight, and looking at the seat map on the flight selection page only shows seats available for both legs and doesn’t let you select YYZ-YVR or YVR-SYD separately
Old May 8, 2024, 7:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Call in?

When I was doing 33 from YYZ, I could get different seats on each sector. Maybe something has changed.
kalderlake and LukeyD like this.
Old May 10, 2024, 8:35 am

Programs: AC 75K, FB Gold, BW Diamond Select
They should be able to do that for you if you call in. If not, assuming the seat you'd prefer is still available, they definitely can do it at the gate.
I saw a similar position last November on AC895. A couple asked the gate agent to change their seating for the YUL-YYZ leg from what it was for the MXP-YUL leg.
Apparently they wanted two window seats for the shorter leg.
Old May 10, 2024, 8:55 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
The airport system (CM) can do this and you will end up with two boarding passes. I’m unsure if Advanced Seat Reservations can do this on one segment.
kalderlake likes this.
Old May 10, 2024, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all, sounds like it's something that might be able to be done over the phone, and worst case (if seats are still available) at the airport.

Somewhat related, does anyone know how eUpgrades work for this flight? I assume I would be able to be waitlisted for each flight, and if there were no J seats available YYZ-YVR that wouldn't prevent me from being on the waitlist for YVR-SYD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.