Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why is BA so horrifically bad at timely delivery of luggage at T5?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2024, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond

From my experience; it’s only getting worse. This is their home terminal for crying out loud - waiting an hour for luggage delivery is embarrassing. Why aren't they addressing this?
DocS, Sealink, bafan and 4 others like this.
Old May 7, 2024, 12:06 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Sometimes everything works perfectly though. Was this a Sunday or the bank holiday? I have noticed these are the worst times. Staff shortages?
flybymonkey and becks1 like this.
Old May 7, 2024, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SxMan
Sometimes everything works perfectly though. Was this a Sunday or the bank holiday? I have noticed these are the worst times. Staff shortages?
no, this was 6am this morning. “Sometimes” is “extremely rarely” for me, in fact I can’t remember the last time I waited less than half an hour.
SW7London, DocS, bafan and 6 others like this.
Old May 7, 2024, 12:46 am

Programs: BA
The last time i flew into LHR my luggage was on the carousel before I walked into the luggage reclaim hall so I'd say it is a bit of a lottery.
dddc, becks1 and SxMan like this.
Old May 7, 2024, 12:48 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by oceanscape
no, this was 6am this morning. “Sometimes” is “extremely rarely” for me, in fact I can’t remember the last time I waited less than half an hour.
This is why the hand baggage situation on board is so bad (ShortHaul specifically) I flew with a bag in March from a Glasgow and it was almost as long waiting for bags as we’d been in the air. I was told it was normal by the surly individual in the domestic hall.

Last edited by binman; May 7, 2024 at 1:07 am
Old May 7, 2024, 12:54 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines
I invariably find that bags/cases with so-called 'Priority' luggage tags given at check-in do not receive priority in terms of arrival on the reclaim belt and are just mixed up with all luggage. A good example of an oxymoron.
Old May 7, 2024, 12:56 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Sigh yes, this mirrors my experience and are why I (and likely others) stopped checking luggage and now add to the scrum that is bringing everything onboard.

Not to mention the times they've lost (forgot to load?) my bag and once returned it damaged then made it insanely difficult to claim replacement or compensation for it.

Also due to this I stopped paying extra for a Plus fare to be able to check a bag, so BA has actually lost revenue because of this.
Old May 7, 2024, 12:56 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Are their regular bag checkers who have a good experience?

I try to never check bags, But it was unavoidable 3 times last month. Maybe I am unlucky but I had 1 bag not put on the plane departing Heathrow, and then upon returning to london a 70 min and 90 min wait for bags.
oceanscape likes this.
Old May 7, 2024, 12:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The service level is 20 miniutes, which would approximately equate to a T5C arrival, a stroll through the passage, a visit to the facilities, a quick scan at the UK Border and not walking down the escalator to baggage reclaim. Which was I think the design intention.

The short answer is that we voted for it. BA has struggled to keep an adequate ground operations since 2020.
Old May 7, 2024, 12:59 am

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
My tactic (if I have checked luggage) is to slowly meander my way to the e-gates. Having recently arrived from Sydney at satellite C, I suggested to Mrs IntVic that we take a leisurely stroll to the e-gates via the walkway on -4 because we will only end up hanging around waiting at the luggage carousel.
Our dawdling meant a wait of circa 20 minutes at the carousel.
becks1 likes this.
Old May 7, 2024, 1:00 am

Perhaps they had a mixture of late/early arrivals at the same time. Don’t forget it is also the Spring half term this week, so it will be very busy.
Old May 7, 2024, 1:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The service level is 20 miniutes, which would approximately equate to a T5C arrival, a stroll through the passage, a visit to the facilities, a quick scan at the UK Border and not walking down the escalator to baggage reclaim. Which was I think the design intention.

The short answer is that we voted for it. BA has struggled to keep an adequate ground operations since 2020.
Any idea how often they meet this service level ? ( assume they track this! ) ... I'm not a frequent bag checker , but in my limited experience it's pretty rare that the first bag is on the carousel within 20 minutes of arrival on stand ... And even when the first bag does eventually turn up it does seem to take an incredibly long time for the bags to 'drip' out compared to the speed of bag delivery at other airports once they start arriving ... It seems in T5 as though it's one staffer lifting the bags one by one out of the container onto the belt !
oceanscape and becks1 like this.
Old May 7, 2024, 1:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
Any idea how often they meet this service level ? ( assume they track this! ) ...
So far today it's 39% of bags meeting the SLA, yesterday it was 53%,
Old May 7, 2024, 1:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
As CWS has alluded to, a combination of understaffed (post Brexit) and underpaid, coupled with an insanely complex baggage system prone to regular breakdowns, means that HBO or an alternative airline/airport is the only current workable solution unless and until IAG/BA put their hand in their pocket to attract more staff.
Old May 7, 2024, 1:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
So far today it's 39% of bags meeting the SLA, yesterday it was 53%,
But what is the target percentage? Should be somewhere north of 80% IMO or BA aren't really trying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.