Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Paid more for a good connection, AA cancels that flight and puts us on cheaper one.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paid more for a good connection, AA cancels that flight and puts us on cheaper one.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2024, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond

Subject pretty much sums it up lol

We paid for 4 seats from the states to Europe for August. We specifically picked a more expensive first flight connection that would allow enough time before long flight. This was $200 more per person instead of the 1hr connection alternative. Today they send me emails saying our flight has been changed and we are now on that 1hr connection we didn't want.

I called them and they said the one we paid more for has been cancelled. When I explained we paid more for that, agent said too bad and offered $5 compensation per flyer because that's the price diff now for that flight vs what we paid 3 months ago when obviously it was much cheaper.

Crazy how they can get away with screwing their customers like this.

Is there anything else we can do?
Old Apr 30, 2024, 12:15 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by chaschas
Subject pretty much sums it up lol

We paid for 4 seats from the states to Europe for August. We specifically picked a more expensive first flight connection that would allow enough time before long flight. This was $200 more per person instead of the 1hr connection alternative. Today they send me emails saying our flight has been changed and we are now on that 1hr connection we didn't want.

I called them and they said the one we paid more for has been cancelled. When I explained we paid more for that, agent said too bad and offered $5 compensation per flyer because that's the price diff now for that flight vs what we paid 3 months ago when obviously it was much cheaper.

Crazy how they can get away with screwing their customers like this.

Is there anything else we can do?
Without more specific information about your route, it's hard to comment, but would it be possible for you to connect to your transatlantic flight in a different city?
Old Apr 30, 2024, 12:16 pm

With an involuntary flight change, if you're not happy with the rebooking you can usually change to another connection of your choice.
Is there an option that works better for your party than the current booking that AA offers? If so, they will usually move you to that at no charge even if it now costs more than your original ticket. Look at different connection airports, earlier domestic flight, etc. Have a review of what works best for you, then call in to request to be moved to those specific flights.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

There isn't a better connection unless we choose a different (farther) connection.

I understand all these points, of course I can change to a different flight now, or even get money back and start over with a diff airline.

My point is prices now are a lot more than when I booked, so all those options are bad options.

My question is if I have any other recourse about American pocketing an extra $800 from us by putting us on a cheaper connection than the more expensive one we had paid for.
ezefllying likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
I don't think so...sometimes things don't go our preferred way. This one is bad luck, not much you can do I think. I actually give the agent some credit for trying to problem solve and checking a reprice.

What is your full route? Maybe you can be routed through another OW hub like LHR or MAD. Others can better opine whether it's is possible to switch to an AA codeshare.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
My question is if I have any other recourse about American pocketing an extra $800 from us by putting us on a cheaper connection than the more expensive one we had paid for.
Probably not. You bought a ticket AAA-CCC not AAA-BBB-CCC. AA is still getting you to CCC. Is there a significant change in arrival times?

If booking really far out, I always recommend people book the cheapest logical flights. There will inevitably be a schedule change, after which you can usually change to whatever flights you really want (within reason of course).
Old Apr 30, 2024, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
This is the sad, sad flip side of a strategy many people here (including me) use: if you're booking months in advance, book the cheaper, worse connection and hope for a schedule change that will let you change to a better one.

[Edit: Sorry for the repeat post.]
Old Apr 30, 2024, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Probably not. You bought a ticket AAA-CCC not AAA-BBB-CCC. AA is still getting you to CCC. Is there a significant change in arrival times?

If booking really far out, I always recommend people book the cheapest logical flights. There will inevitably be a schedule change, after which you can usually change to whatever flights you really want (within reason of course).
There are only two AAA to BBB flights a day, the CCC flight is the same. Either it was a 4hr connection (the one that was paid for) or a 45min connection.

Booking far out and picking the cheapest is not always an option for some people. I booked this travel for family members who are travelling with to small children. Can't really them to wing it, flights and seats need to be well planed ahead of time.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
There are only two AAA to BBB flights a day, the CCC flight is the same. Either it was a 4hr connection (the one that was paid for) or a 45min connection.

Booking far out and picking the cheapest is not always an option for some people. I booked this travel for family members who are travelling with to small children. Can't really them to wing it, flights and seats need to be well planed ahead of time.
Can you give us more specifics? Exact flight #s, dates, etc. Why is another connection city out of the question?
Old Apr 30, 2024, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
This is the sad, sad flip side of a strategy many people here (including me) use: if you're booking months in advance, book the cheaper, worse connection and hope for a schedule change that will let you change to a better one.

[Edit: Sorry for the repeat post.]
Well if you felt the need for a repeat post then I guess I can post a repeat reply lol

Booking the cheaper worst connection must be great for someone travelling alone, but that rarely is a good plan when dealing with families or airports with 1-2 connecting flights a day.

Regardless none of that was my point or the reason for this. I was simply asking it there is any other way to hold American accountable for charging us $800 more for a better connection and then cancel that one and put us on cheaper one with no compensation.

​​​​
uanj likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 12:43 pm

Regardless none of that was my point or the reason for this. I was simply asking it there is any other way to hold American accountable for charging us $800 more for a better connection and then cancel that one and put us on cheaper one with no compensation.​​​​
No. The best you can do is ask for another connection point. It seems the agent offered that to you, but you didn't want that as it would have made the trip longer. There's not much else you can do at this point other than ask for the tickets to be refunded and start over with another carrier, with the caveat that this may not be an option anymore if you accepted the change with the agent during the reprice/reticketing.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Regardless none of that was my point or the reason for this. I was simply asking it there is any other way to hold American accountable for charging us $800 more for a better connection and then cancel that one and put us on cheaper one with no compensation.
​​​​
And the answer to that question appears to be, "No."
Old Apr 30, 2024, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Can you give us more specifics? Exact flight #s, dates, etc. Why is another connection city out of the question?
None of that is the point here. Yes there are other connecting cities and I'd even prefer to put them on united which is what I wanted to in the first place but they wanted to keep their miles there.

Point is simply that now, 3 months later, all flights are understandably more expensive, so any alternative airport is going to be more.

All done then, I was simply hoping there was something else I could do to have American compensate the price diff before I go talk to my family and tell them they now have to try to do the 45min connection with two small kids or book an entirely different route or a different airline.

​​
Old Apr 30, 2024, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
And the answer to that question appears to be, "No."
LOL yes, that is ALL I was asking for.

Thanks!
formeraa likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 12:49 pm

All done then, I was simply hoping there was something else I could do to have American compensate the price diff before I go talk to my family and tell them they now have to try to do the 45min connection with two small kids or book an entirely different route or a different airline.
​​
Again, that's not all you can do. If it means a 45 min connection to an international flight vs one with a longer connection time but at a further connection point, I'd take the latter every day of the week, especially if I'm not traveling by myself or trying to make sure I arrive for a specific reason (e.g., cruise, event tickets, etc). The last thing you want is a minor delay at the originating city to cause them to misconnect. That will be much worse than what you're dealing with now.
samplat, Antarius, hhdl and 1 others like this.

Last edited by USFlyerUS; Apr 30, 2024 at 1:00 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.