Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Good historical site visit in Kyoto for afternoon arrival?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2024, 4:55 am
Original Poster

I arrive in Kyoto tomorrow (May 1st) via Shinkansen from Tokyo after a flight from Bangkok. My Shinkansen arrives in Kyoto at 1 pm but it looks like the shuttle to my hotel, the Crowne Plaza ANA by the Castle, doesn’t depart the station until 2 pm. My time in Kyoto is very limited—will have only 3 nights / 2 full days of sightseeing, so I wanted to make the day of arrival count for something.

What would be a good, and hopefully convenient, historical site or two to do the afternoon I arrive?

I’m not sure what sites I’ll visit in Kyoto—hoping to crack open my Lonely Planet Kyoto / Japan guidebooks this evening to create an itinerary.

I guess on the day I depart for Tokyo (spending 3 nights there), I could take a late Shinkansen to Shinjuku (staying at the Kimpton) and stow my luggage somewhere to add another day of sightseeing.

I’ve been to Tokyo before and seen the largest Buddhist Temple and Shinto shrines there plus visited a few other places. While I realize there’s a lot to see, I’ve never been to Kyoto before and want to visit as many atmospheric historical sites there as is reasonable without wearing myself out.

My only regret for Tokyo is that I failed to get an International Driver’s License at home in America before departing—thought it would be cool to do the “real life Mario Kart” thing nu go-kart in the streets of Tokyo but evidently one needs an Int’l Driver’s License (from AAA in America). Unless there’s some other way? Didn’t think I’d need a license to ride a go-kart.

The only site in Kyoto I know I really want to visit so far is the Shinto shrine that has many orange Tori gates going up a hill—that looks incredible and is a Must Do for me in Kyoto.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 7:05 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
the shuttle to my hotel, the Crowne Plaza ANA by the Castle, doesn’t depart the station until 2 pm. My time in Kyoto is very limited
Take a taxi, then. You'll be at the hotel in 10 minutes.
(Or bus 9 or 50 if you're feeling confident ... but I think, perhaps, you're not ready for that).
What would be a good, and hopefully convenient, historical site or two to do the afternoon I arrive?
The Nijo Castle is directly in front of your hotel. Might as well visit it when you arrive. Expect it to be very crowded. Book ticket online.
https://nijo-jocastle.city.kyoto.lg.jp/ticket/?lang=en
moretimeoffguy likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jib71
Take a taxi, then. You'll be at the hotel in 10 minutes.
(Or bus 9 or 50 if you're feeling confident ... but I think, perhaps, you're not ready for that).

The Nijo Castle is directly in front of your hotel. Might as well visit it when you arrive. Expect it to be very crowded. Book ticket online.
https://nijo-jocastle.city.kyoto.lg.jp/ticket/?lang=en
Thanks. Does the Grab app work for taxis in Japan and is there free WiFi at Kyoto Station? I don’t have a data plan for my mobile phone.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 10:29 am

Thanks. Does the Grab app work for taxis in Japan and is there free WiFi at Kyoto Station? I don’t have a data plan for my mobile phone.
Grab like Uber works mainly as a taxi-hailing app. Uber registration requires a local number to receive OTP.

There is free public-wifi at most JR stations. You can buy a data-only SIM at Lawson or self-service kiosks in the airport (may need to scan passport).
Old Apr 30, 2024, 11:19 am

My only regret for Tokyo is that I failed to get an International Driver’s License at home in America before departing—thought it would be cool to do the “real life Mario Kart” thing nu go-kart in the streets of Tokyo but evidently one needs an Int’l Driver’s License (from AAA in America). Unless there’s some other way? Didn’t think I’d need a license to ride a go-kart.
to be honest, if this interests you then I'm not sure my interests will interests you. I'd suggest you read japan guide and decide what you want to see based on where you will stay in kyoto. And please don't use must do. That's a ridiculous expression and just makes me cringe when people use it.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 11:20 am

get a wifi device then.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Topcare
And please don't use must do. That's a ridiculous expression and just makes me cringe when people use it.
And I feel that way when you use “yah” in your posts, but what’s REALLY cringey is that I’ve just told you.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by FlitBen
Grab like Uber works mainly as a taxi-hailing app. Uber registration requires a local number to receive OTP.

There is free public-wifi at most JR stations. You can buy a data-only SIM at Lawson or self-service kiosks in the airport (may need to scan passport).
Did something change? I was able to use Uber as a passenger using existing USA Uber account.

If you have a recent iPhone/Samsung, esim is the way to go
Old Apr 30, 2024, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by paperwastage
Did something change? I was able to use Uber as a passenger using existing USA Uber account.

If you have a recent iPhone/Samsung, esim is the way to go
Tough crowd today lol!

I use the Uber app a lot -- but the Go App seems to work way better...
moretimeoffguy and FlitBen like this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlitBen

Can I use Grab in Japan without needing a mobile phone-based OTP? My phone is near its end of life and acting quirky so I don’t want to swap out the SIM card.

What about the “Go” app? I’m downloading it now since I read it was the most used taxi app in Japan. Do I need an OTP for Go?

Finally, will I be able to use Grab or Go with a credit card for payment? When you say “taxi hailing” app, what does that mean precisely? It’s not true ride sharing?

UPDATE: I just registered on the Go app; while it did want to send me an OTP, and my phone number is a USA number, it allowed me to enter my Country Code—and I have WiFi calling so everything worked fine. Registered a credit card without a problem too.
bmwe92fan and FlitBen like this.

Last edited by moretimeoffguy; Apr 30, 2024 at 6:47 pm
Old Apr 30, 2024, 7:12 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
When you say “taxi hailing” app, what does that mean precisely?
It's an app that you use to hail taxis - the same taxis that you can hail by facing the traffic and sticking your hand out. In locations like major stations, there will be a taxi rank so you can just walk up and take the first taxi in line when it's your turn.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage
Did something change? I was able to use Uber as a passenger using existing USA Uber account. -
I had reinstalled the app after a backup refresh but I forgot to login before my flight. Uber was prompting for a local number to send OTP via SMS, which my data-only travel SIM lacked.

- If you have a recent iPhone/Samsung, esim is the way to go
I have used Airalo around Asia but it failed to work the last time. For me, eSIMs are mainly an option in case the physical SIM fails.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LapLap
And I feel that way when you use “yah” in your posts, but what’s REALLY cringey is that I’ve just told you.
Don’t feed the trolls. :-)
Old Apr 30, 2024, 11:21 pm

Can I use Grab in Japan without needing a mobile phone-based OTP? My phone is near its end of life and acting quirky so I don’t want to swap out the SIM card.

What about the “Go” app? I’m downloading it now since I read it was the most used taxi app in Japan. Do I need an OTP for Go?

Finally, will I be able to use Grab or Go with a credit card for payment? When you say “taxi hailing” app, what does that mean precisely? It’s not true ride sharing? –
I did not use ‘Go’ and forgot about Grab so I cannot advise much, but my experience with Grab in SE Asia is that you can link foreign credit cards.

Like jib71 said, these work by hailing taxis from transit partners. There will be a small surcharge atop the regular rates, but it beats paying the service fee which some hotels charge for calling in a cab.

- UPDATE: I just registered on the Go app; while it did want to send me an OTP, and my phone number is a USA number, it allowed me to enter my Country Code—and I have Wi-Fi calling so everything worked fine. Registered a credit card without a problem too.
Good to know.

Last edited by FlitBen; Apr 30, 2024 at 11:38 pm
Old May 1, 2024, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by LapLap
yah, well then there you go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.