Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free Changes to BA Holiday (Drop a leg?)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2024, 6:17 am
formerly JackDann
Original Poster

Free Changes to BA Holiday (Drop a leg?)

HI All, wondering if you knowledgeable folks could save me another phone call to BAH. We had a very slight (10/20 minute) schedule change to our flights and having spoken with BA Holidays, we are allowed a free change. I called yesterday to ask if I could change my DUB-LHR flight to BHD-LHR, but this was a step too far and not possible. I was told that if I wanted to I could change date / time etc, which is very generous!

I was wondering instead, whether I could completely ditch the DUB-LHR leg? Is it worth a call, or will I be wasting my time?
Old Mar 29, 2024, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by JD1905
HI All, wondering if you knowledgeable folks could save me another phone call to BAH. We had a very slight (10/20 minute) schedule change to our flights and having spoken with BA Holidays, we are allowed a free change. I called yesterday to ask if I could change my DUB-LHR flight to BHD-LHR, but this was a step too far and not possible. I was told that if I wanted to I could change date / time etc, which is very generous!

I was wondering instead, whether I could completely ditch the DUB-LHR leg? Is it worth a call, or will I be wasting my time?

I've been able to drop a JER-LHR at the beginning of a BA holiday when a flight has been cancelled and envoking the 300 miles rule (of which DUB also falls). However not sure this rule applies for minor schedule changes. You can always ask but I suspect the answer will be no.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 6:56 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Only in response to irrops on the day. Otherwise you'd effectively be dodging the taxes which are tied to the start point.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 8:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
To be honest I’m surprised that BAH will allow you to make a change free of charge for a 10 minute schedule change as this isn’t inline with BAH T&C re changes so I wouldn’t push it. You could probably drop the DUB leg which would involve a reprice and fees as per T&C
orbitmic and DXB2745 like this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I think that for a 10 or 20 minutes change, you were already offered a lot, lot more than you were entitled to. I’d just pick the flight you want on the same routing, say thank you and be happy with it. Change of itinerary (be it through new departure point or ditching flight) won’t be allowed nor is it supposed to.
DXB2745 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 12:08 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by JD1905
could completely ditch the DUB-LHR leg? Is it worth a call, or will I be wasting my time?
You don't say where the DUB-LHR leg falls in your plans. Other have assumed it is the first flight and you are using the start point to avoid UK APD.
But it could be anywhere. As far as we know your holiday is LHR-GLA-LHR-DUB-LHR which would be different.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 5:52 pm
formerly JackDann
Original Poster

Thanks all - this is the first leg of a trip and just wanted to try and find a way to head out of Belfast instead of Dublin. Absolutely agree that I have been offered more than I would have expected and dropping the first leg / moving to to BHD was always a long shot. Won’t waste my time phoning BAH and will get myself prepared for an early jaunt down to DUB.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 8:44 pm

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
I recall this issue before and its tied to currency. I believe that the BA Holidays system cannot cope with a change of start point if it involves a new country and currency and from the sound of it you would be swapping EUR to GBP and this is more likely the issue than anything else.

I have seen others have it refused as it involved currency changes so perhaps this is the issue. I seen one case in particular where they wanted to swap from AGP to GIB and were refucsed as the fare was in EUR and Gibraltar was in GIP

Mainline BA have no issue with this but the BA Holidays system specifically does,
Old Mar 30, 2024, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by cgtechuk
I recall this issue before and its tied to currency. […]

Mainline BA have no issue with this but the BA Holidays system specifically does,
You’re absolutely correct about the currency issue and that it’s specific to ba holidays but not an issue at all with ba as an airline. it’s indeed important to bear in mind when seeking changes with bah (including paid ones).

Having said that, there is no way ba mainline would have allowed a change of departure point for a 20 minute schedule change (unless it specifically made booked connection impossible) and even getting a free change of flight with them would have been a tall order (normal threshold for ba is 2 hours. You can get exceptions allowed for less than that if you have status but even then, 10-20 minutes would likely be pushing it for most agents).
JD1905 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 12:38 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Having said that, there is no way ba mainline would have allowed a change of departure point for a 20 minute schedule change
This is true, but BAH appears to be de facto more generous in many circumstances. It does appear to be an apples and oranges thing here, same company different rules.
Whilst we have a vast wealth of evidence of what will and will not fly with BA the scheduled airline, I think we are still working out all the edge cases for BAH. Had the OP requested a move from EDI to GLA instead of DUB to BHD I think they may have been successful with BAH (and possibly even with mainline on a good day?)
I have learnt some interesting information from this thread, it's just unfortunate that none of it actually helps the OP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.