Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX put restrictions on Bonus offers to limit hopping between cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2024, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2MM, AA ExPlat, UA S, HH S, MR LT Titanium, National Exec

Language was just recently added for all Delta AMEX cards.

50,000 Bonus Miles
You can earn 50,000 bonus miles after you make $3,000 or more (the "Threshold Amount") in eligible purchases on your Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card within your first 6 months of Card Membership starting from the date that your account is opened. Miles will be credited to your account 8-12 weeks after you reach the Threshold Amount. Bonus Miles may appear on your account in more than one deposit. To receive the 50,000 bonus miles, your Card account must not be canceled or past due at the time of fulfillment. Eligible purchases can be made by the Basic Card Member and any Additional Card Members on a single Card account. Eligible purchases are purchases for goods and services minus returns and other credits. Eligible purchases to meet the spend requirement do NOT include fees or interest charges, cash advances, purchases of traveler's checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, purchases of gift cards, person-to-person payments, or purchases of any cash equivalents. Additional Card Members on your account are not eligible for their own offer.

If you have a history of cancelling or downgrading American Express Card accounts within your first year and you cancel or downgrade your new Card account within your first year, we may not credit, we may freeze, or we may take away bonus miles from your account. If we determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with this offer in any way or that you intend to do so, including if you return purchases you made to meet the Threshold Amount, we may not credit, we may freeze, or we may take away bonus miles from your account. We may also cancel any accounts you have with us.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I also found they recently added language that you may no longer qualify for a new personal DL Plat Amex if you already have a personal DL Reserve Amex (I was recently declined for a new Plat Amex as I already have a Reserve).

"You may not be eligible to receive a welcome offer if you have or have had this Card, the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card or previous versions of these Cards. "
Old Mar 29, 2024, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by xliioper
I also found they recently added language that you may no longer qualify for a new personal DL Plat Amex if you already have a personal DL Reserve Amex (I was recently declined for a new Plat Amex as I already have a Reserve).

"You may not be eligible to receive a welcome offer if you have or have had this Card, the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card or previous versions of these Cards. "
I'm a bit confused as your two statements don't exactly line-up. There's a difference between not qualifying for the card at all and not qualifying for the welcome offer but still qualifying for the card.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 7:20 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
I thought it was common knowledge for years that canceling/downgrading an Amex within the first year is a) likely to result in SUB clawback and b) virtually certain to result in being ineligible for Amex SUBs.

Perhaps being explicit about this is new?
dw and hockeystl like this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 8:06 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)

I think these two don't match. The eligibility is for the welcome offer (bonus points/SM), not for the card itself.
hhdl likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GaryDD
Language was just recently added for all Delta AMEX cards.

50,000 Bonus Miles
You can earn 50,000 bonus miles after you make $3,000 or more (the "Threshold Amount") in eligible purchases on your Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card within your first 6 months of Card Membership starting from the date that your account is opened. Miles will be credited to your account 8-12 weeks after you reach the Threshold Amount. Bonus Miles may appear on your account in more than one deposit. To receive the 50,000 bonus miles, your Card account must not be canceled or past due at the time of fulfillment. Eligible purchases can be made by the Basic Card Member and any Additional Card Members on a single Card account. Eligible purchases are purchases for goods and services minus returns and other credits. Eligible purchases to meet the spend requirement do NOT include fees or interest charges, cash advances, purchases of traveler's checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, purchases of gift cards, person-to-person payments, or purchases of any cash equivalents. Additional Card Members on your account are not eligible for their own offer.

If you have a history of cancelling or downgrading American Express Card accounts within your first year and you cancel or downgrade your new Card account within your first year, we may not credit, we may freeze, or we may take away bonus miles from your account. If we determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with this offer in any way or that you intend to do so, including if you return purchases you made to meet the Threshold Amount, we may not credit, we may freeze, or we may take away bonus miles from your account. We may also cancel any accounts you have with us.
This is fair. There have been stories of abuse.
TheHorta, PLeblond and PanAmSam like this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I'm a bit confused as your two statements don't exactly line-up. There's a difference between not qualifying for the card at all and not qualifying for the welcome offer but still qualifying for the card.
Yes, I suppose they are different. I didn't check if there is away to apply for card without going through a signup bonus miles promo link (I was going to get it primarily for the 2500 MQD Headstart, but the signup bonus miles were also a factor. So reconsidering if I really want it without the signup miles. Don't really need it longterm as will hit 2MM in another year or so and won't bother with MQD rat race at that point).
Old Mar 29, 2024, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Yes, I suppose they are different. I didn't check if there is away to apply for card without going through a signup bonus miles promo link (I was going to get it primarily for the 2500 MQD Headstart, but the signup bonus miles were also a factor. So reconsidering if I really want it without the signup miles. Don't really need it longterm as will hit 2MM in another year or so and won't bother with MQD rat race at that point).
You go through that link but as you apply it will tell you you’re not eligible for the SUB and ask if you still want to proceed with applying for the card before it runs the credit check and approval. I had this happen when I applied for one of the Marriott AmEx’s. Website told
me I was ineligible for the SUB due to having received a sign-up bonus on another Marriott card (which was a Chase, not AmEx) in the last 36 months. So I waited a couple months for the 36 month mark to pass and was able to get the SUB on the Marriott AmEx (and thankfully that SUB didn’t change in that timeframe). But I still could have gotten the card without the SUB.
hhdl likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 10:53 am

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by hhdl
I thought it was common knowledge for years that canceling/downgrading an Amex within the first year is a) likely to result in SUB clawback and b) virtually certain to result in being ineligible for Amex SUBs.

Perhaps being explicit about this is new?
Yes, but this seems to imply you may not get the bonus even if you didn't receive a pop-up stating ineligibility.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.