Search

Funny pilots

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2024, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Funny pilots

I just boarded my DCA-MSY flight and am seated in 1C. Another passenger boarded and, apparently having gate checked her bag, asked the flight attendant if she was leaving it in the right place on the jet bridge. The pilot, overhearing this and not missing a beat, shouted from the cockpit, “Yeah. It’ll be here when you get back.” I thought that was pretty funny.

About 30 years ago I had an AA pilot making all of the announcements as if he were driving a stage coach, including coming on the PA and shouting “Whoaaa” to the “horses” as he reverse thrusted after landing.

Any other good stories?

(Not a pilot, but last week I had a phenomenal gate agent at DFW who kept us entertained, in addition to providing frequent updates about the status of the inbound aircraft that was causing our DFW-MSY flight to be delayed. Among other things, he found a passenger with a great voice to make some of the mandatory announcements, and found another passenger with a trumpet to play us done songs. Oh yeah, and at one point there was a push up contest in the gate area.)
GNRMatt likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Not AA- or even airline-related, but some years ago I was on an intercity bus, and the bus driver announced that there was no smoking permitted anywhere on the bus. He then went on to say, "If I see smoke coming from about your person, I will assume that you are on fire, and I will put you out."

Antarius, catmndu and DASRTR like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Flying DFW BOS during the ALDS/CS and it was Sox vs Yankees. After boarding, pilot comes out to the front galley and does a welcome PA using the jumpseat phone.

Pilot: <standard welcome>. Any Sox fans on board?
most of the plane cheers
pilot: any Yankees fans? No? Good - otherwise we'd toss you out as we cross New York.

We all had a good chuckle.
GNRMatt likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:16 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Originally Posted by Blumie
About 30 years ago I had an AA pilot making all of the announcements as if he were driving a stage coach, including coming on the PA and shouting “Whoaaa” to the “horses” as he reverse thrusted after landing.
Anyone remember Captain Choo-choo, with his train whistle ?
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by guv1976
Not AA- or even airline-related, but some years ago I was on an intercity bus, and the bus driver announced that there was no smoking permitted anywhere on the bus. He then went on to say, "If I see smoke coming from about your person, I will assume that you are on fire, and I will put you out."

I once was on a trolley under the streets of Boston and had a driver who made announcements like an airline pilot: providing the weather at our destination, warning of turbulence, etc.
UAPremierGuy likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
OP's example is funny but I wouldn't be able to tolerate the Southwest type "humor" flight attendants like to provide to the passengers. That would be awful.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 1:59 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
I'm not sure why it came to mind, but I'm reminded of the Leslie Nielsen movie wrongfully accused that was a spoof of the fugitive. When Leslie Nielsen gets put on the prison bus, the correctional officer on the bus does an airplane style safety briefing like a flight attendant. Including making gun motions with his hands when describing all of the things that will cause Leslie Nielsen to get shot if he tries to get off the bus.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 2:08 pm
JTK

Programs: AAdvantage EP
There used to be a pilot that use to sing when going back to the US. I was on a trip back from Japan but I can't remember what song he sung. I remember the FA told me to expect that from him. He was on key also.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
After the 1999 BCS National Championship football game (VA Tech vs. FL State), while flying back from New Orleans to Tampa on Southwest, I was in the first row of the plane proudly wearing my VA Tech gear. The entire plane was in FL State colors.... and this was when the front row actually faced the back of the plane. Captain came on and said "How Bout Them 'Noles," and started the fight song. And I got to watch the entire plane chanting and doing the Tomahawk chop. He then followed up with "Got any Hokies on the plane?? Ring that call button,"... and yes I did... the which the Captain said "Sorry about the game, now lets get that guy a drink!"
born sleepy and carla568 like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 2:32 pm

Programs: American, Marriott/spg
I was a student in San Francisco on a street car in December where the driver handed out Christmas carols for all of us to sing. Most did and it was great.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 2:35 pm

Had another scenario where we were about to touch down, and all of a sudden we powered back up and circled back around. I asked a pilot why that happened, and she said "It beats flying you into the ground, right?" I guess not funny, but not expected
Old Mar 28, 2024, 2:41 pm

Off topic- Is there a general thread on FT about funny flight experiences in general? (not airline specific) Like when I had to push a service dog away from trying to eat the food on my tray while his owner (blind) was reading braille, and had no idea what was going on? Or the drunk guy that passed out next to me while eating, and two full raviolis fell out of his mouth and stuck to his dress shirt? Anyone ever open the old green goddess dressing without poking a hole in it first, only to have it blow all over the front of you?

Oh, all the great memories!
Old Mar 28, 2024, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by tjcxx
Anyone remember Captain Choo-choo, with his train whistle ?
Yes!
Old Mar 28, 2024, 4:35 pm
pH

Programs: AA EXP
Two years ago on DFW-MEX the Captain did his pre-flight annoucement while standing at the front of F. He then proceeded to do the entire announcement again in completely fluent Spanish to the surprise of most passengers who assumed this "gringo" pilot was monolingual. As soon as he started, said off-mic to the First Class cabin "they didn't see that one coming."
Old Mar 28, 2024, 9:05 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Anyone remember the scooter captain? He was on the MD80, wonder if he moved to something else or retired.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.