Wiki Posts
Search

Bag check, separate PNR on KLM?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2024, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, B6 Mosaic 3
Bag check, separate PNR on KLM?

I'm flying EDI-AMS on KLM. I'm then flying AMS-BOS the following day on DL. Anyone know if it's possible to check a bags all the way through from EDI to BOS without claiming in AMS?
Old Mar 28, 2024, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BOS1971
I'm flying EDI-AMS on KLM. I'm then flying AMS-BOS the following day on DL. Anyone know if it's possible to check a bags all the way through from EDI to BOS without claiming in AMS?
Less than 24hrs in AMS? Yes? Then no issue.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Yes, they are within 24 hrs. I should have said that I have a separate PNRs, for the flights, as they were booked separately. Will I still be able to check all the way through from. EDI?
Old Mar 28, 2024, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Yes, they are within 24 hrs. I should have said that I have a separate PNRs, for the flights, as they were booked separately. Will I still be able to check all the way through from. EDI?
Yes, as long as under 24hrs it's OK.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
one more affirmative vote (BKK-AMS revenue, overnight*, AMS-FRA award; never saw the bags until we got to FRA) (granted this was KL to KL, but the principle remains)

*- bags were checked on our originally-booked evening AMS-FRA flight that was cancelled as we were en route from BKK; KL Lounge 52 agent confirmed they would remain airside and go on our morning flight)

Last edited by jrl767; Mar 28, 2024 at 2:27 pm
Old Mar 28, 2024, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Agents at EDI will probably automatically tend to check the bag just to AMS, so OP will need to clearly state that the bag should be checked through to BOS and then to double check the tags before the bag disappears. It's also helpful to have hard copies (printouts) of both PNRs and both receipts (with ticket numbers) to show at check in.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. Here's the results:

The agent in EDI said "yes, of course we can check it through to BOS for you", and she knew that I had separate tickets. However, she tried to get it checked in on her computer. It just wasn't working for her, and she dug through all of my info, including ticket numbers. She wasn't able to get it to accept the bag through to BOS, and I now need to pick it up in AMS.

So, it seems like it should work, but, something went weird with my reservation, and it didn't work.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

The agent in EDI said "yes, of course we can check it through to BOS for you", and she knew that I had separate tickets. However, she tried to get it checked in on her computer. It just wasn't working for her, and she dug through all of my info, including ticket numbers. She wasn't able to get it to accept the bag through to BOS, and I now need to pick it up in AMS.

So, it seems like it should work, but, something went weird with my reservation, and it didn't work.
Some agents don't know how to do this and need to ask a supervisor for help. There might not have been anyone available at EDI. I don't know whether KLM agents can contact a helpline (like DL phone agents often do).
Old Mar 29, 2024, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Some agents don't know how to do this and need to ask a supervisor for help. There might not have been anyone available at EDI. I don't know whether KLM agents can contact a helpline (like DL phone agents often do).
Sadly, European airlines don't often seem to have the available resources to ask for help. In many cases, they aren't even allowed to ask a supervisor.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Was the name the same on both tickets? One common issue with through check across tickets, if name is different, system will throw a mismatch error.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.