Wiki Posts
Search

New FIRST Suite on A380

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2024, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond, Sixt Diamond
New FIRST Suite on A380

Crew in F on today’s A380 LAX-LHR proffered some (unsubstantiated) inside info on the upcoming fleet refit.

Forward cabin will consist of eight FIRST suites, offering full sized beds (parallel to window) plus separate seat. The refit works necessitate strengthening of floors due to additional load.

The remainder of upstairs, through to the rear, will be Club Suites.

They mentioned the first A380 is due to be fitted in December 2024. This doesn’t fall in line with what I’d heard about it being 2025, but we’ll have to see.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Really, those in the know have signed an NDA!
Old Mar 13, 2024, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
I do like a bit of crew-mour (!) although as CIHY says the people who really know aren’t going to be saying!

8 seats would make more sense to me than the previously rumoured 6, and I for one will
be glad to be upstairs and off first rather than after the entire top deck once they have eventually connected the lower jetty!

It certainly sounds like the Acumen design although there is a strong possibility of circular self-perpetuating rumours here…

Old Mar 13, 2024, 2:43 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Alexander Caplan
Crew in F on today’s A380 LAX-LHR proffered some (unsubstantiated) inside info on the upcoming fleet refit.
Originally Posted by Can I help you
And people break NDAs all the time. Kind of uncool to out crew by naming the particular flight.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 3:15 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
They mentioned the first A380 is due to be fitted in December 2024. This doesn’t fall in line with what I’d heard about it being 2025, but we’ll have to see.
"The airline expects the new seat to make its debut at the end of 2025 into early 2026 as part of its A380 aircraft refurbishment." BA Press release
crazy8534 and rugby23 like this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
I’m sure they comply with the NDA with be same absolute honestly with which BA does its EU261 compensation obligations..
Old Mar 13, 2024, 3:37 pm

Sounds like utter nonsense and pure "crewmour"
To strengthen the main deck floor would some serious cost, time and planning.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 4:42 pm

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum

Forward cabin will consist of eight FIRST suites, offering full sized beds (parallel to window) plus separate seat. The refit works necessitate strengthening of floors due to additional load.

The remainder of upstairs, through to the rear, will be Club Suites.
Does this sound like those 2 huge lavs up stairs will not be accessible to business class passengers?
Old Mar 13, 2024, 5:12 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by rugby23
I’m sure they comply with the NDA with be same absolute honestly with which BA does its EU261 compensation obligations..
I know it’s said in jest but sadly it’s easier to source and fire a staff member who might leak or break an NDA, versus an entire organisational process which has been conducting itself wrongly for years within ‘legal bounds’ but knows it’s wrong and a easy cop out! That’s the corporate world for you. The little people always lose, the boardroom/main shareholders will try to win.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 10:27 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

For me, I do hope that they retain more seats than just 8 seats especially on the A380.

Cheers!
camdentown likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 2:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Not that I've flown BA F - or am all that likely to - but I have to say I'm a bit puzzled by this move to put a genuinely competitive product on one fleet when the rest have just been refurbished with a significantly lesser product. I can't see BA revisiting the 777 and 787 fleets to retrofit this vastly larger suite in the near future, which means that a maximum of twelve rotations a day - which currently cannot include the actual flagship route and are generally just routes seasonally needing high lift - will have this product. If nothing else the FT threads about aircraft swaps will be endless.
camdentown likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 2:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by etiene
Not that I've flown BA F - or am all that likely to - but I have to say I'm a bit puzzled by this move to put a genuinely competitive product on one fleet when the rest have just been refurbished with a significantly lesser product. I can't see BA revisiting the 777 and 787 fleets to retrofit this vastly larger suite in the near future, which means that a maximum of twelve rotations a day - which currently cannot include the actual flagship route and are generally just routes seasonally needing high lift - will have this product. If nothing else the FT threads about aircraft swaps will be endless.
There is the 779 to come and, perhaps, they could put it in the 77W (at 6F?) to protect JFK and other premium routes. For 787s, you are probably right. I'm guessing there will be differentiation in the name; First Suite, instead of just First.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 2:19 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TedToToe
There is the 779 to come and, perhaps, they could put it in the 77W (at 6F?) to protect JFK and other premium routes. For 787s, you are probably right. I'm guessing there will be differentiation in the name; First Suite, instead of just First.
Which, I believe, is the approach taken by SQ to differentiate its 380 product from its other first product, e.g. on the 777.

Doc Copper
Old Mar 14, 2024, 2:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by TedToToe
True, that's still only 30 with the Suite vs [I think] 70 with the old seat though [46 v 54 with the 77W done, but they've only just been revamped?]. I guess that could take the timeline through first refurbs on the 78X fleet, though that only really allows them to claim they're still working on it.

No doubt you're right on the marketing differentiation, but I think the important part is how these are handled WRT pricing. Presumably BA will want to monetise this step-change in product well before the entire fleet has it, and being switched from a seat+bed product to a mere seat would seem to me much more grave than the current CS to CW seats even before considering any surcharge which might have been paid.
TedToToe likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by crazy8534
I do like a bit of crew-mour (!) although as CIHY says the people who really know aren’t going to be saying!

8 seats would make more sense to me than the previously rumoured 6, and I for one will
be glad to be upstairs and off first rather than after the entire top deck once they have eventually connected the lower jetty!

It certainly sounds like the Acumen design although there is a strong possibility of circular self-perpetuating rumours here…

More importantly, if this is the seat or close as, would it be acceptable to the forum compared to the competition?
crazy8534 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.