Delta removes checkin from their mobile app

Subscribe
According to the release notes for the "Fly Delta" mobile application on iPhone, Delta has removed mobile checkin from their application. You will now be automatically checked in 24 hours before your flight and given a boarding pass.
Well that sort of defeats the purpose of check in as a step, especially as a way to signal to GA's that a pax may not be flying. If this is the case, why don't they just issue the boarding pass when you purchase the ticket?
Quote: Well that sort of defeats the purpose of check in as a step, especially as a way to signal to GA's that a pax may not be flying. If this is the case, why don't they just issue the boarding pass when you purchase the ticket?
IIRC some LCCs/ULCCs do this.

BTW, when and how is DL going to collect checked bag fees from kettles?
sdadept likes this.
It has been like that since long time for AF (at least since 2011, from what I can remember) on flights that are within France or intra-schengen. Basically you receive the boarding pass around 31 hours before the flight by email or SMS, and it becomes available in the APP 30 hours before the flight.
Quote: According to the release notes for the "Fly Delta" mobile application on iPhone, Delta has removed mobile checkin from their application. You will now be automatically checked in 24 hours before your flight and given a boarding pass.
1) So, those of us that have Androids will stay the same as before???

2) If you're automatically checked in, you'll never get the VDB offers!
Thats weird... I opened my app earlier and I still saw the 'check in' button.

And yeah you need to go through check in to get VDB. And what if you want to SDC?
Quote: Thats weird... I opened my app earlier and I still saw the 'check in' button.

And yeah you need to go through check in to get VDB. And what if you want to SDC?
I never got the VDB offers on mobile app check in anyway. Only by going through delta.com full HTML site have I received VDB offers.
Quote: Thats weird... I opened my app earlier and I still saw the 'check in' button.

Can still call in or go to desktop website. Being checked in doesn't prevent SDC.
Quote: BTW, when and how is DL going to collect checked bag fees from kettles?
When you drop off the bags? Isn't that how they collect it now?
Quote: I never got the VDB offers on mobile app check in anyway. Only by going through delta.com full HTML site have I received VDB offers.
Quote: Can still call in or go to desktop website. Being checked in doesn't prevent SDC.
But, if you're already checked in, and you RE-check in via the website, could you still get the VDB offers?!?

Surely, nobody will know the answer, because, even when flights are confirmed to be overbooked, the VDB offers don't always turn up.
Difficult to assess an overbook situation from now on; Flight is overbooked and everyone including the Delta GA sees: checked in full. Now they have to go through the 'Mr and Mrs nothere, you are delaying the flight blah blah' and wait and wait until the last minute even if they never really 'checked in'.

Plus wonder how they do this when one has to check through AF or KLM?
Well, hallo paper boardingpass again.
davetravels and sdadept like this.
Quote: When you drop off the bags? Isn't that how they collect it now?
Don't people pay in advance on line? I've never paid for a checked bag, but I always thought this is why people are asked during OLCI how many bags they will be checking.
oh, let this not be true. I got to avoid so many VDB situations by releasing unchecked in pax seats and taking gate control at 29:59.98. If it had a crown, you had until 24:59.99.5 to be at the front counter.
Quote: Don't people pay in advance on line? I've never paid for a checked bag, but I always thought this is why people are asked during OLCI how many bags they will be checking.
They can pay during the check in process or at any time up to the baggage cut off time using the app, website, or kiosk. They can also pay when they drop the luggage off at the airport.

I imagine there will be an "Add Bags" button where they can go through the additional baggage steps after the auto-checkin occurs.

Did you do the app update prior to opening it?