Search

Connecting through LHR - sub 1 hour

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Connecting through LHR - sub 1 hour

Hi FT

I have booked a BA ex-EU ticket connecting in T5, with 1 hour connection time. What's the quickest way to catch my connecting flight. I'm BA Gold, so could go landslide and use First Wing if that's best?!

Any advice would be must appreciated. Apologies if this has been covered in previous threads (I did try a search...)
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Going landside is a risk if you get a delay and miss conformance (35 mins) where as staying airside keeps you in the responsibility of the airline
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by stuarttheap
Hi FT

I have booked a BA ex-EU ticket connecting in T5, with 1 hour connection time. What's the quickest way to catch my connecting flight. I'm BA Gold, so could go landslide and use First Wing if that's best?!

Any advice would be must appreciated. Apologies if this has been covered in previous threads (I did try a search...)
If you arrive at B/C gates and are departing from B/C be aware of the small flight connection centres in each of the satellite buildings which will save you lots of time.

More information in the T5 connecting guide linked below and in the forum dashboard.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Is this one ticket? The reason I ask is that connections under 1 hour would not meet the Minimum Connection Time.

If you end up with more than an hour (e.g. if your flight is a bit early) and you have e-gate access, then before 16:00 hrs I would go landside via the e-gates and then the First Wing. In all other circumstances I would go via Flight Connections even though it will actually be slower. The reason being that it will be easier to be rebooked if you miss conformance which is 35 minutes, but occasionally it can be lower, which it won't be in the First Wing.

Full details - and related questions/answers - in the Flight Connection guide for T5 in the Dashboard.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Thank you. I just found your connecting in T5 guide, very helpful!

So i'm arriving from BRU, most likely T5a? connecting on to BOS (T5b or c?)

Is the walkway quicker than the transit?

This is booked on the same ticket directly from BA.

So if i'm delayed FCC is best option, if I have 1 hour + then landslide & first wing.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Is this one ticket? The reason I ask is that connections under 1 hour would not meet the Minimum Connection Time.

If you end up with more than an hour (e.g. if your flight is a bit early) and you have e-gate access, then before 16:00 hrs I would go landside via the e-gates and then the First Wing. In all other circumstances I would go via Flight Connections even though it will actually be slower. The reason being that it will be easier to be rebooked if you miss conformance which is 35 minutes, but occasionally it can be lower, which it won't be in the First Wing.

Full details - and related questions/answers - in the Flight Connection guide for T5 in the Dashboard.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
You need to make conformance at T-35

With such a short connection, you should make that if you go via flight connections

Depending on the Q at immigration you may not make that if you choose to go landside
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
So i'm arriving from BRU, most likely T5a? connecting on to BOS (T5b or c?)

Is the walkway quicker than the transit?
It's most likely to be T5A to T5B, but all the other options are possible, however A380s can only leave from T5C as far as I can tell. The walkway is about the same as the transit to T5B, maybe slightly faster, the transit tends to be best for T5C, but frankly if you have made conformance you have probably made your flight so long as nothing unusual happens and you don't get lost.

The only thing to watch is that if BRU comes into T5B, which does sometimes happen, you have a direct connection via the Flight Connection centre in T5B itself, and you'll be through in seconds.

You may want to install the Heathrow App on your mobile phone and get familiar with its features for departing flights, since you can work out your gate will trundling into the gate at T5. It may even give some information before departure from BRU.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Ended up being delayed on the inbound from BRU, and have been rebooked on the later flight to BOS (all whilst in the air which was a pleasant surprise). Not so bad really, I managed to get a massage booked at the B gates spa and now have time to sip some champagne and grab a burger!
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
All is well that ends well!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
Ended up being delayed on the inbound from BRU, and have been rebooked on the later flight to BOS (all whilst in the air which was a pleasant surprise). Not so bad really, I managed to get a massage booked at the B gates spa and now have time to sip some champagne and grab a burger!
Perfect example of how to handle these things that are beyond our control.^:-:^

Cheers, and may the rest of your travels go at least this well!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, AS Gold 75k, IHG Aspire, Marriott Titanium , National Exec Elite, Amex Plat
Glad it worked out but curious how you booked this, was it a TA or BA direct? I recently flew ORY-LHR-LAX with BA/AA and was told MCT was 90 minutes. The inbound was delayed as it was August in Paris but I managed to make T5 to T3 without too much of a rush despite only having 54 minutes from landing to departure.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by goodison
Glad it worked out but curious how you booked this, was it a TA or BA direct? I recently flew ORY-LHR-LAX with BA/AA and was told MCT was 90 minutes. The inbound was delayed as it was August in Paris but I managed to make T5 to T3 without too much of a rush despite only having 54 minutes from landing to departure.
T5-T5 (which I think is the OP's situation) is 60 mins

If you came into T5 from ORY and out on AA from T3, you have a change of terminal so MCT goes up to 90 mins.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by goodison
Glad it worked out but curious how you booked this, was it a TA or BA direct? I recently flew ORY-LHR-LAX with BA/AA and was told MCT was 90 minutes.
T3-T5 MCT is typically 90 minutes.

T5-T5 MCT is typically (always?) 60 minutes.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, AS Gold 75k, IHG Aspire, Marriott Titanium , National Exec Elite, Amex Plat
Thanks for clearing up the MCTs!
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold
Next month we have a 1 hour 35 minute connection from ABZ T5, to AA MIA T3. Will this work for us and our baggage, or should I try to change to the later MIA?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.