Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/PVG/LHR this Sunday and back Saturday ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGLFL, LH Sen, Alitalia Platinum, Hilton Plat, SPG / Marriott / Carlsson Gold

Hi there, on BA169 on Sunday (24th Sept), returning in Saturday (30th Sept), in J. Flights looked rammed both ways. Has anyone done this flight recently? Also. Any tips for the best lounge in Shanghai ... I recall CX being far better than the shared BA one? 1K
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, the Cathay lounge is the better option, though being essentially set up for regional travel it's not as good at say the London one. It's also bigger than it first looks. If you're on the 11 hrs flight, the food options will be fairly limited to breakfast items, there's a bit more for the night service.

Don't forget the Maglev service to get into the city centre!
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: AA EXP
CX lounge PVG is not great at all. It's quiet and roomy but that's it. No showers. Weak on food and alcohol. No reason to spend time there (though marginally better than lounge 77)

Both Lounges are nearby so you can lounge hop.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

Maglev is OK for the experience, especially when running at 430KMh, look out the window and feel like a jet fighter at 30ft AGL.

It's not really worth the time, depending on where you want to go (as it does not really go to city centre) and you have to schlep to the maglev station. and fit in to the 15/20 min schedule. Also if you are a newbie the taxis at Maglev station are often trying to scam you (always get into the taxi queue and insist on meter)

E.g. if going to the southern part of Puxi I find a taxi/Didi faster. To Pudong business district it's great. If you tell me what area you need to get, I can make a reccomndation
Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:08 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, the Cathay lounge is the better option, though being essentially set up for regional travel it's not as good at say the London one. It's also bigger than it first looks. If you're on the 11 hrs flight, the food options will be fairly limited to breakfast items, there's a bit more for the night service.

Nearly three years since you recommended that one to me CWS. An excellent experience and would advise anyone to try it out if it's their only opportunity even if it means other transportation to get too.

S
Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:21 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Another recommendation, since the trip is a week off, is a book to read: André Malraux's La Condition Humaine, or in English, Man's Estate or Man's Fate. Set in Shanghai in 1927, it has quite astonishing relevance for contemporary events.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Originally Posted by seaskybound
Also if you are a newbie the taxis at Maglev station are often trying to scam you (always get into the taxi queue and insist on meter)
Great point... always some rogue drivers almost blocking the taxi line. Fell for it on my first trip but never again.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: GGL
Another vote for maglev and also the metro. I avoid Shanghai taxis whenever possible.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
The maglev is definitely worth taking at least once - and I will echo comments above that if you don't have too much or too bulky luggage (or don't have good Chinese language skills) it is better to transfer at the maglev Longyang Road station to the Metro (Line 2) to avoid any issues with taxis.

I'm not sure why the flights are rammed on your outward leg, but in case you aren't aware Sep 30th is pretty much the start of the National Holiday "Golden Week", so I am not surprised the flight is looking to be almost full (Sat. 30th is actually a shifted working day, but many people will take this day off as an extra holiday).

Accordingly I suggest allowing extra time to get to the airport on Sep 30th as public transport will be busy, taxis maybe hard to find, and there will be lots of people at the airport ...!
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
I'm just back from PVG - and corporate-wage-slave is spot on - Maglev. You can even get a combo Maglev + Metro ticket which is great. If you're heading to the financial district you can jump straight into line 2 at the Maglev terminus.

I travelled on MH to PVG and even though their lounge at the airport is the China Eastern one I used Cathay. Nice place to relax before your flight.

Enjoy Shanghai!!
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:37 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Flights out of PVG and HKG are extremely busy this weekend. I've just arrived back from HKG and it was a battle getting a seat - I was waitlisted on both the 32 and 28 during the past week - fortunately a seat cleared for me just a couple of days ahead of departure. I was told this is due to a combination of student traffic and Chinese nationals travelling during the Golden Week holiday.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:59 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
My friend and I are currently in Shanghai and are planning on getting a taxi to the Maglev station and then onto the airport - just to say we have done it!

Luckily we have business class seats on the 160 out tonight/early tomorrow and I am looking forward to the welcoming arms of BA....... we shall see!

From what I can tell, the CX lounge at PVG closes at 2015 but the BA flight checkin does not open until 3hrs before so 2120 so I think we will be doing a lot of hanging around at the airport both prior to check and once though security!

Aks120
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:26 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by aks120
My friend and I are currently in Shanghai and are planning on getting a taxi to the Maglev station and then onto the airport - just to say we have done it!

Luckily we have business class seats on the 160 out tonight/early tomorrow and I am looking forward to the welcoming arms of BA....... we shall see!

From what I can tell, the CX lounge at PVG closes at 2015 but the BA flight checkin does not open until 3hrs before so 2120 so I think we will be doing a lot of hanging around at the airport both prior to check and once though security!

Aks120
You should still have lounge access - BA has an arrangement in place that allows BA160 passengers to use the China Eastern lounge at PVG.
aks120 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by cjb666
Another vote for maglev and also the metro. I avoid Shanghai taxis whenever possible.
SH Taxis are fine, air conditioned and efficient. You also can pay with your metro card, no need to futz around with cash (make sure to show the card to driver before he closes the meter)

If you don't speak Chinese just show them the address with a hotel biz card or have someone send you in Chinese and show on the phone.

It is just near the Maglev station, where many tourists have a first interaction with Taxis that there are chancers trying to get a bogus fare. (and just get in the proper taxi queue)
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by aks120

Aks120
Maglev not the same experience at night (but it's dark around 6pm these days) PVG at night is usually quiet (security/immigration) so no need to get too early and the lounge is nothing to speak about. Would suggest getting on the last Maglev and enjoying drinks in Lujiazui (specifically suggest cloud 9 in the Grand Hyatt Jinmao. The lobby of that hotel is nothing less than remarkable too)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.