Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Buying Two Tickets - Where's the Policy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC

Alluded to this on the domestic wide body thread, but will expand here. On 27-Jan, I'm flying MEL>PVG>LAX and get in at 5:20 PM. I then need to get to MSN/MKE/CHI and there are no non-red eye options. I was going to get a hotel at LAX, recharge and fly home the next day. However, I saw that there is an LAX>ATL(then>MSN) flight on an A333 which is far more palatable than a B757/737 with the because of 2x4x2 layout and wider seats.

I bought the ticket (it's only $177) and am wait listed for a RUC. I have had bad luck on LAX<>ATL even with RUC's, although I don't think any of them had 34 F seats like the A333 will. I'm Plat now but will likely be Diamond by then, though I am debating getting close and rolling over a ton - depends upon if they pull the Amex waiver.

Since the fare is only $177, and the seat next to me in the 2 section is open, I was thinking of doing a 24 hour cancel and then buying 2 seats. At $354, it's still 1/2 of the $767 price for F. But it won't let me buy two seats for myself as it is specifically giving me a warning (tried before I bought the single one). How does one go about buying 2 seats for oneself? Are they both eligible for UG to C+? If I did it, would I then split the PNR after the C+ upgrade to improve my chances for the single upgrade?

Just musing a few things. I am 5'11", 180#, so not the biggest guy in the world but I am broad shouldered and just don't want to have to risk being next to someone big after being in air for 24 hours and a 6 hour layover already. The thought of having a 2 section in C+ on an A333 for $354 seems quite palatable to me, especially if I just even pull the RUC for a more likely candidate for success.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:22 am

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...tional-ec.html
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:30 am
Original Poster

That is close but I am being greedy and want both of my seats to have the free medallion UG to C+, although I suppose a 2 section in regular Y would be OK-ish. The C+ seat is $254.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bergamini
That is close but I am being greedy and want both of my seats to have the free medallion UG to C+, although I suppose a 2 section in regular Y would be OK-ish. The C+ seat is $254.
AFAIK the extra seat isn't upgrade eligible. They may have changed it, but wasn't last time I asked.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by flyerCO
AFAIK the extra seat isn't upgrade eligible. They may have changed it, but wasn't last time I asked.
Ditto for me - and you can't earn miles or MQD for it either....
zambonisk likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Ditto for me - and you can't earn miles or MQD for it either....
Which is part of reason not eligible. A companion requires a SM number to get upgraded. You can't enter one for extra seat.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Which is part of reason not eligible. A companion requires a SM number to get upgraded. You can't enter one for extra seat.
Hey, that's what Delta told us too

(ours was for an international flight - lots of fun at the airport as they tried to figure out what to do in the computer when it asked for the passport for that seat Ended up putting my husband's in again - since it was his extra seat....)
Old Sep 19, 2017, 1:15 pm

You could take a tack from musicians and buy a $40 violin at a pawn shop or used instrument store in LA that will have its own seat:
The other option? Buy your instrument a seat.
"My cello has his own frequent flier account," says Cristina Wallace, a professional entrepreneur and amateur musician. Though she does so less now, Wallace used to fly with her cello three to four times a year. He even has a name, according to his mileage card: "Mr. Cello Wallace. He has points."
http://edition.cnn.com/travel/articl...eat/index.html
Beaver, 33, a member of the Nebraska-based Chiara String Quartet, said he had already bought a coach ticket for the instrument — which requires its own boarding pass, has a frequent-flier account and has already racked up tens of thousands of miles.
http://nypost.com/2010/07/05/musicia...o-first-class/
Old Sep 19, 2017, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Newbie2FT
You could take a tack from musicians and buy a $40 violin at a pawn shop or used instrument store in LA that will have its own seat:
The other option? Buy your instrument a seat.
"My cello has his own frequent flier account," says Cristina Wallace, a professional entrepreneur and amateur musician. Though she does so less now, Wallace used to fly with her cello three to four times a year. He even has a name, according to his mileage card: "Mr. Cello Wallace. He has points."
http://edition.cnn.com/travel/articl...eat/index.html
Beaver, 33, a member of the Nebraska-based Chiara String Quartet, said he had already bought a coach ticket for the instrument — which requires its own boarding pass, has a frequent-flier account and has already racked up tens of thousands of miles.
http://nypost.com/2010/07/05/musicia...o-first-class/
I didn't read the article, but I am assuming you have to scan both boarding passes? That would make me nervous if they decided I was up to shenanigans.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 1:56 pm

When you buy an extra seat, you WILL have to scan 2 boarding passes when you board, and the 2nd will say something like "BergaminiXSEAT".

The thread referred to upthread says some people had luck booking that online. I never did and called in - and the first time we did it, we still had to pay the call-in ticketing fee. Grr. I was super pissed with Delta that day. But it was the only way I could get my husband to Shanghai without paying business (I was NOT going to pay $7000 for D1 seats to PVG)
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC someone got in trouble for a musical instrument having its own FF account.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC someone got in trouble for a musical instrument having its own FF account.
I was thinking that most airlines prohibt collecting miles. Just like purchasing an extra seat for yourself doesn't mean you get double miles.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:43 pm

Personally, I'd just do the 24 hour cxl and crash at (pick your favorite LAX area sinkhole of a hotel). 8-10 hours of sleep in a bed > 4.5 hours on a flatbed (by a huuuge margin), not even factoring the 6 hour layover to kill. I've been stuck in lounges for extended periods many times during IRROPS after Intl longhauls, and I'd rather shoot myself.

Last edited by DataPlumber; Sep 19, 2017 at 5:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.