Guest Lounge Passes not valid for the international lounge at YYZ?

Subscribe
Is it true that the MLL guest passes are not valid for the international lounge at YYZ?

If so, is this the first year of this restriction? I gave a couple passes to a friend a year ago and he apparently used them on his flight to NRT, which I'm told was a direct flight from YYZ to NRT.

Cheers
Quote: Is it true that the MLL guest passes are not valid for the international lounge at YYZ?

If so, is this the first year of this restriction?
Sadly yes, and yes.
Quote: Sadly yes, and yes.
What?
Why is this? The times I've been in there have been less crowded than domestic MLLs. What's the rationale?
Yes, my girlfriend ran into this last week.

The domestic lounge in YVR is pretty much just around the corner. I told my GF to go to that lounge with the guest pass, I really wasn't sure if it would work seeing as she had a boarding pass for LHR. Anyway, she said she got into the domestic lounge without any issues.
Quote: What?
Why is this? The times I've been in there have been less crowded than domestic MLLs. What's the rationale?
According to AC, apparently Altitude members asked for more exclusivity in the international MLLs.
Quote: What?
How should I know? Iīm just a lowly SE with no understanding of business whatsoever.

IIRC the reason AC gave was "exclusivity". I guess there were two reasons:

1) access to the intīl MLL was the most "valuable" use of the MLL passes, so cutting that benefits presumably saves some costs
2) intīl lounges being overcrowded is indeed a problem. CDG and LHR are a zoo moszt of the time, YUL at night is outright unpleasant IMO, YYZ and YVR also tend to be very crowded during peak times.

Then again, several of my friends/family only booked AC in the past so they could use my MLL passes, so AC also generated some incremental revenue.
Quote: 2) intīl lounges being overcrowded is indeed a problem. CDG and LHR are a zoo moszt of the time, YUL at night is outright unpleasant IMO, YYZ and YVR also tend to be very crowded during peak times.
Fair to say this new restriction is a net benefit to heavy users of the lounge like you?
While not good for my friends/fam, if it works for the people like you who butter AC's bread, that's all that matters.

Have people noticed an appreciable reduction in MLL crowds of late?
Quote: Fair to say this new restriction is a net benefit to heavy users of the lounge like you?
While not good for my friends/fam, if it works for the people like you who butter AC's bread, that's all that matters.

Have people noticed an appreciable reduction in MLL crowds of late?
Hard to say IMO whether the lounges are less crowded since the restriction has only been in place for 6 weeks.

Personally, I donīt feel too strongly about the change either way. It was nice to give away the MLL passes to friends/family, but if it reduces the crowds thatīs great, though Iīm not sure the % of guests entering using a pass was really that large.
Unfortunately at the same time everyone out there with an Aeroplan credit card has been mailed a free reward ticket MLL pass, which includes international lounges.

Although the taxes associated with an international Y ticket is prohibitive, so we'll likely see these reward passes used for domestic and transborder.
Cant believe that the passes AC gave me can't be used when traveling internationally
Cant believe that the passes they gave me cant be used when traveling internationally. I have a friend flying to LHR tomorrow and was going to give them a pass when I read the small print.

Why would AC remove international lounge access???
Because they are too crowded?
Because it's that good...
You can also pay $25-$50 for Lat/PY or Flex.
But not Tango.

The major Canadian Intl are sometimes worth $25, but it varies. LHR MLL is definitely worth $25, I might even spring out $50 just to avoid the chaos of the terminal and their breakfast is epic.
Just my opinion of course.

I do wish one could use maybe 2 vouchers for Intl options.

Alternatively, get them to fly out of say YHZ where there is only one lounge and you can use a voucher Even on a Tango intl icket.

Of course, the YHZ lounge lounge is only worth about $5.
Quote: Cant believe that the passes they gave me cant be used when traveling internationally. I have a friend flying to LHR tomorrow and was going to give them a pass when I read the small print.

Why would AC remove international lounge access???
Its been this way for some time. Why are you surprised ? Assuming they are flying from YYZ Term 1, the AC lounge is the only option since PP is under renovation.
I don't remember when those passes HAD International lounge access. Those who have more history, when was that dropped?