Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta is Ending PHL-LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Delta is Ending PHL-LHR

I saw this statement on Airliners.net. Any truth to this? I really liked the option of DL vs the awful BA/AA:

It looks like the last DL PHL-LHR flight will depart on March 23, 2018 and will return to PHL the following day. Currently there is not a bookable departure for the 757 out of PHL, so that does not give any hints about what the LHR slots could be used for. Loads have been awful on PHL-LHR, with many months below 50%, I am sure DL cannot wait to shift the slots elsewhere.

I find it interesting that Delta bought 5 slots to LHR, which it will receive on October 30, 2017 and now will have 7 more on March 24, 2017. So far, they have not announced any of their plans for these slots. The three options would be leasing/selling them, upping frequency on existing routes, or possibly adding new routes. What seems the most likely and what cities specifically seem the most likely?

For the 5x/week slots, DL has 5 morning arrivals on Sun/Tue/Wed/Thurs/Sat, which allows for Mon/Tue/Wed/Fri/Sat departures from a US station. The PHL slots give daily evening US arrivals for daily early morning arrivals into LHR.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by NYC1K
I saw this statement on Airliners.net. Any truth to this? I really liked the option of DL vs the awful BA/AA:

It looks like the last DL PHL-LHR flight will depart on March 23, 2018 and will return to PHL the following day. Currently there is not a bookable departure for the 757 out of PHL, so that does not give any hints about what the LHR slots could be used for. Loads have been awful on PHL-LHR, with many months below 50%, I am sure DL cannot wait to shift the slots elsewhere.

I find it interesting that Delta bought 5 slots to LHR, which it will receive on October 30, 2017 and now will have 7 more on March 24, 2017. So far, they have not announced any of their plans for these slots. The three options would be leasing/selling them, upping frequency on existing routes, or possibly adding new routes. What seems the most likely and what cities specifically seem the most likely?

For the 5x/week slots, DL has 5 morning arrivals on Sun/Tue/Wed/Thurs/Sat, which allows for Mon/Tue/Wed/Fri/Sat departures from a US station. The PHL slots give daily evening US arrivals for daily early morning arrivals into LHR.
Probably correct. DL is only operating PHL-LHR to fulfill the DOT's terms for acquisition of that slot from AA.

Of course, we all know where I want DL to use a LHR slot. They certainly seem to be racking them up lately.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:29 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
In before CVG-LHR speculation begins
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by WWads
Probably correct. DL is only operating PHL-LHR to fulfill the DOT's terms for acquisition of that slot from AA.

Of course, we all know where I want DL to use a LHR slot. They certainly seem to be racking them up lately.
Originally Posted by pvn
In before CVG-LHR speculation begins
You're in too late.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:42 pm
pvn
Suspended

In before EXPLICIT CVG speculation
Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
Perhaps less likely than CVG because I'm not sure a 757 has the range year-round but there have been many rumblings in IND of a direct IND-LHR flight. Incentives have been bumped up big time and I could see DL trying to make an IND-LHR run work 5x a week. That said, I'm sure there are other markets IND is considering, but many people I've spoken with at the airport and at the Chamber of Commerce seem to think an announcement could come by year's end.

My thinking was AA would be the one, but I'm not sure they have open slots, and without a lounge in IND, would be a trickier proposition. Who knows--but just adding my two cents of wishful thinking
Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by CGNC
Perhaps less likely than CVG because I'm not sure a 757 has the range year-round but there have been many rumblings in IND of a direct IND-LHR flight. Incentives have been bumped up big time and I could see DL trying to make an IND-LHR run work 5x a week. That said, I'm sure there are other markets IND is considering, but many people I've spoken with at the airport and at the Chamber of Commerce seem to think an announcement could come by year's end.

My thinking was AA would be the one, but I'm not sure they have open slots, and without a lounge in IND, would be a trickier proposition. Who knows--but just adding my two cents of wishful thinking
A 757 can definitely make CVG-LHR. DL used to operate one CVG-LGW.

If CVG isn't getting a LHR flight, then IND certainly isn't either. CVG has upped their incentives by a lot as well, and both cities have similar O/D situations. CVG has the benefit of feed, unlike IND.

In the end, the most likely use for the slot is the restoration of 2x daily DTW-LHR service.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Jun 23, 2017 at 10:06 pm
Old Jun 23, 2017, 11:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CGNC

Anyone in Indianapolis can easily drive to CVG. And CVG would allow for connecting opportunities where IND, much like PHL, would offer none.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 6:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Anyone in Indianapolis can easily drive to CVG. And CVG would allow for connecting opportunities where IND, much like PHL, would offer none.
You can also fly from IND to CVG, right? Or people can drive from CVG to IND?

BTW, after the TATL LHR-PHL lands, the 757 seems to be moved from A to to DL's domestic terminal at PHL (which would be D) and then flown to JFK (with passengers as DL 636) for a TATL flight eastbound.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You can also fly from IND to CVG, right? Or people can drive from CVG to IND?

BTW, after the TATL LHR-PHL lands, the 757 seems to be moved from A to to DL's domestic terminal at PHL (which would be D) and then flown to JFK (with passengers as DL 636) for a TATL flight eastbound.
IND-CVG flights ended long ago.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
The loads on PHL-LHR have been awful. DL only runs it to obtain the slot, so if the commitment for how long they have to run it is up, they are going to drop it and use the slot for something else.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Big caveat I know this is very much wishful thinking and almost certainly not the direction DL will go.

With that out of the way I personally would love to see this route come to RDU though I'm certain AA would be none too pleased about it (they just upgauged to the 777 permanently citing significant increase in corporate demand).

On the flip side DL is continuing to invest heavily in RDU and if they can even flip 2-3 of the corporate contracts that have business in both RDU and LHR that should provide enough corporate base.

Again almost certainly a no but it's the internet so we can dream right?
Old Jun 24, 2017, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Duke787
Big caveat I know this is very much wishful thinking and almost certainly not the direction DL will go.

With that out of the way I personally would love to see this route come to RDU though I'm certain AA would be none too pleased about it (they just upgauged to the 777 permanently citing significant increase in corporate demand).

On the flip side DL is continuing to invest heavily in RDU and if they can even flip 2-3 of the corporate contracts that have business in both RDU and LHR that should provide enough corporate base.

Again almost certainly a no but it's the internet so we can dream right?
I think RDU is more likely than CVG, and DL has a chance to poach customers who need a LHR flight, but also nonstop domestic options. Other than the LHR flight, RDU is an AA outstation.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 9:32 am
pvn
Suspended

RDU-LHR seems unlikely, but more likely than IND-LHR. Honestly, CVG-LHR seems more likely than RDU-LHR. CVG has more feed and no direct competition.

Most likely scenario in my estimation is to increase frequency on an existing route (as someone up above mentioned).
Old Jun 24, 2017, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by pvn
RDU-LHR seems unlikely, but more likely than IND-LHR. Honestly, CVG-LHR seems more likely than RDU-LHR. CVG has more feed and no direct competition.

Most likely scenario in my estimation is to increase frequency on an existing route (as someone up above mentioned).
Yep. Probably DTW-LHR, or maybe ATL-LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.