Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OWE/BAEC Gold flying MAD-LHR-MAD on Eco (V), is my baggage allowance 1 or 2 bags?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OWE/BAEC Gold flying MAD-LHR-MAD on Eco (V), is my baggage allowance 1 or 2 bags?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2017, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Question OWE/BAEC Gold flying MAD-LHR-MAD on Eco (V), is my baggage allowance 1 or 2 bags?

It has been a very tiring, challenging few days so sorry for the newbie question. I can't remember the last time I've needed to check in more than a single bag but now I do and checking the details of a newly purchased ticket I am surprised to only see it seems to be 1 but maybe I shouldn't be. Does the Gold not override this limit to 2 or am I dreaming? I know it does on longhaul to AA but I usually fly at least W so not the best of comparisons.

This is IB ticketed, one flight is BA operated the other IB. Checking MMB on both BA's and IB's sites suggests the BA operated has limits:
1 baggage in hold, 23KG
and as with all cases the 1 carry-on 56x45x25 plus a 40x30x15 handbag/briefcase/laptop bag

The IB operated one using IB's MMB says:
1 piece(s). Max. 23 kg and 158 cm.
(Free of Charge)
For being: EN_Iberia Plus Platino

Is that suggesting 1+1=2 or just poorly worded? For the BA operated flight by comparison it only says:
(Free of Charge)
Old May 29, 2017, 1:40 pm

Your allowance is 2 bags x 32kg each. 1 standard plus 1 extra (and 32kg weight on both) for being Gold. Same for both flights.
Old May 29, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Your allowance is 2 bags x 32kg each. 1 standard plus 1 extra (and 32kg weight on both) for being Gold. Same for both flights.
I second that.
Old May 29, 2017, 2:22 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by cysyuen
I second that.
I would second this officially but at check in it's not uncommon for agents to not know the rules.

I flew LHR BRU on BA on Thursday with a 16kg suitcase and a 26kg suitcase. The second case and the overweight case required a supervisor override and the agent was not sure of the allowance.

Same bags BRU MAD on IB on Friday and the check in agent was lovely but acted like she was giving me a bit of grace on the 26kg bag
Old May 29, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: BAEC
It has always annoyed me how BA doesn't list the true bag allowance even when BAEC details are registered. I have just checked 2 separate shorthaul bookings, one says 1x23KG the other 2x23KG.

AFAIK, Gold gets an additional checked bag for free. That's how I've always reasoned for having 3 bags when going doing longhaul on J anyway. In your case of shorthaul Y, 1+1=2.

My largest checked bag is usually 26-28KG and I've never had issues with weight apart from the one time when I had to rebalance a case which was over 32KG, I was told above 32KG isn't allowed for Health and Safety of bagloaders. This is almost always dropping bags at Gold/F desks on longhaul flights where the person at desk is typically better trained and more lenient.
Old May 29, 2017, 4:32 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
There is a comprehensive baggage guide linked to in the dashboard.
Old May 29, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
As a general rule, does MMB account for Gold status or is the 'extra piece' on top of whatever it says in MMB?

My upcoming CW booking to BKK says '3 bags at 32kg' which I assume is taking the extra piece (and weight) into account but a different booking to LBA says '1 bag at 23kg' - which suggests MMB doesn't take into account status.
Old May 29, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by HarryKUK
As a general rule, does MMB account for Gold status or is the 'extra piece' on top of whatever it says in MMB?

My upcoming CW booking to BKK says '3 bags at 32kg' which I assume is taking the extra piece (and weight) into account but a different booking to LBA says '1 bag at 23kg' - which suggests MMB doesn't take into account status.
For all my bookings it only mentions the standard limit i.e. one for economy, two for business. This is why I always put 'not sure' when I am asked how many bags I am checking in so that I can manually add my extra allowance of 1 bag as an OWE.

Last week the system didn't pick the extra allowance up and therefore my second bag was treated as bags that were not deemed cabin worthy.
Old May 30, 2017, 2:30 am

Programs: BA GfL
telescopic, on quite a few bookings (all BA) that mix BA and IB metal I've often seen my checked luggage allowance as '1 piece', despite my being Gold, and sometimes despite some sectors being in C. It could be an IT quirk (see my past rants about IB seat selection!)

As OWE you get an additional piece, above the ticketed allowance. I printed out and carry the OW luggage guide. I have only once had problems (IB ORY to MAD) and showing them the print out solved it immediately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.