Wiki Posts
Search

Pit Bull in London?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2017, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Pit Bull in London?

I have a friend whose work is asking him to take a long term assignment in London. He is thrilled about this except for one thing, he has a Pit Bull Terrier and apparently they are on the "Bad Breed" list and thus banned in the UK.

I have met this dog many times and you could not find a sweeter more lovable dog.

So is there a work-a-round? My friend has decided if he cannot bring his dog than he will have to say "no thanks" to this opportunity.

TIA
Old May 27, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
well, he could try registering it as something else if it looks similar, like a staffy.

But if he gets found out, it will get seized and likely put down.
Old May 27, 2017, 5:59 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
This is the UK Government advice and I am afraid Pit Bull Terrier is top of the banned list - https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/banned-dogs
Old May 27, 2017, 6:06 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by Markie
This is the UK Government advice and I am afraid Pit Bull Terrier is top of the banned list - https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/banned-dogs
On that page it does say "Index of Exempted Dogs (IED)
If your dog is banned but the court thinks it’s not a danger to the public, it may put it on the IED and let you keep it."

Of course, there is no mention as to how one can proactively try to get a dog on the IED.
Old May 27, 2017, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I would pass on the job. Too much of a risk for the pooch.
Old May 27, 2017, 6:13 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by swiftaw

Of course, there is no mention as to how one can proactively try to get a dog on the IED.
I suppose you could call the police on yourself!
Old May 27, 2017, 6:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If pit bulls are banned, will an airline even transport the dog?
Old May 28, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: BAEC
As suggested already, your friend could register the dog as a staffy but there is nothing to stop someone reporting the owner to the local council and if the dog warden suspects the dog is a pitbull they are within their rights to seize it.

A local family in Belfast had a big drama with the council last year over their "pitbull lookalike". http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...-34920530.html
Old May 28, 2017, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
I have met this dog many times and you could not find a sweeter more lovable dog.
TIA
Our experience in the UK is that everyone says that, right up to the point where the dog kills a small child. That's why they are banned.
Old May 28, 2017, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Our experience in the UK is that everyone says that, right up to the point where the dog kills a small child. That's why they are banned.
^
Old May 28, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
^
Old May 28, 2017, 7:24 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
I have a friend whose work is asking him to take a long term assignment in London. He is thrilled about this except for one thing, he has a Pit Bull Terrier and apparently they are on the "Bad Breed" list and thus banned in the UK.

So is there a work-a-round? My friend has decided if he cannot bring his dog than he will have to say "no thanks" to this opportunity.

TIA
Long term as in months or years? I know a couple of friends who had to go to London for about a year and they found a friend to take care of their pets who would stay in the USA for that year. If this dog is sweetie, finding a friend to take care of it might not be that hard.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Pit Bulls are indeed banned in the UK. And registering it as something else is a BAD idea. Even if he manages to get the dog into the country (the animal inspections at the Eurotunnel are rather superficial) as all it takes to get the dog taken away is one complaint or one overzealous LEO. Appearance is everything there. See this document for details: https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...-enforcers.pdf

However, there's case-by-case exceptions (the IED list mentioned earlier). The procedure is outlined in detail here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...0150138_en.pdf. Doing this in advance from the US seems not possible.
I`d contact DEFRA (the UK government body dealing with importation of animals - email [email protected]) and inquire.
There's several thousand pitbulls in the UK, most of them in the London area, all of which are placed on the exception list. So it's not impossible.

As far as getting the dog in to the country is concerned - UK regulations require animals arriving by air as manifested cargo. This is expensive, and a point to consider when negotiating the relocation package with his employer. UA PetSafe or Delta cargo charge about $1,100 for a dog the size of a pitbull from the US to the UK. The alternative would be flying to Paris, Brussels or Amsterdam on an airline that allows pets as checked baggage (AA, KLM, Air France, cost ~$200) and continue the journey by car from there.
Don't try flying the dog on LH Group airlines - they require specially reinforced crates (essentially custom-made crates used for zoo animals) for pitbull-type dogs, which are not available in common pet supply stores and VERY expensive.

Last edited by bhomburg; May 28, 2017 at 7:35 am
Old May 28, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: MUCCI
^

Yep. They are banned for a very good reason. Please do not try to bring it in.
Old May 28, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: BAEC GGL & GfL, HHons Diamond, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador, IHGSpire Elite, Kimpton Inner Circ
Sorry but your friend is going to get zero sympathy if they try and bring a Pit Bull into the UK. Here is an example of why https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/325596...itical-latest/

Don't even think about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.