Wiki Posts
Search

Questions on interlining bags

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2017, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Questions on interlining bags

This might not be the best place to post this, but since I booked all of these flights via the UA portal with UA miles I figured I would start here.

I've booked my first somewhat complicated international award itinerary consisting of 3 reservations (2 pax on each, myself and my fiancee), all booked via UA.com with UA miles (as a sidenote, I think I did quite well considering every single ticket below was a premium cabin saver except for the domestic legs and intra-NZ flight):

Res 1:
DEN-SFO (UA)
SFO-AKL (UA)

Res 2:
CHC-AKL(NZ)
AKL-MEL(NZ)
MEL-BKK(TG)
BKK-HKT(TG)

Res 3:
HKT-ICN(OZ)
ICN-LAX(OZ)
LAX-DEN(UA)

The first res is simple, since it's all UA metal, but I'm a bit anxious about checking baggage for the 2nd and 3rd reservations. From what I have read, since each of these tickets is booked under a single PNR, it should be conceivable to check luggage all the way through....however, my questions are:

1) Will we need to collect our baggage, clear customs, and then re-check the baggage at MEL or BKK? We don't currently plan to leave the airport at MEL but given the length of travel that might change.
2) Am I actually correct in assuming that bags can be checked through to our final destinations in each segment (AKL, HKT, DEN)?
3) Is 2 hours long enough of a gap for a BKK-HKT transfer?
4) Should I consider seeing a therapist for subjecting my future wife to 30 hours of travel to get from CHC to HKT because there was J saver availability?

Many thanks!
Old May 26, 2017, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by mtftw
1) Will we need to collect our baggage, clear customs, and then re-check the baggage at MEL or BKK? We don't currently plan to leave the airport at MEL but given the length of travel that might change.
Generally speaking you do not need to clear customs or claim bags when doing an I/I transfer. I haven't been to BKK, but can confirm at MEL that your bags should make the transfer by themselves and you should be able to remain airside without entering Australia. Note that if you do choose to enter Australia you require an ETA (obtained in advance) with a US passport.

2) Am I actually correct in assuming that bags can be checked through to our final destinations in each segment (AKL, HKT, DEN)?
Assuming all of the internal points are transfers, not stopovers, and aren't long (e.g. UA's rule is 13hrs or overnight) then yes you should be able to check through. Always confirm with the agent you check in with where your bags are being tagged to.

4) Should I consider seeing a therapist for subjecting my future wife to 30 hours of travel to get from CHC to HKT because there was J saver availability?
Assuming there are 6+ hrs in one place (or on one plane) in there for reasonable sleep, not if it's all in J

Last edited by findark; May 26, 2017 at 12:51 pm
Old May 26, 2017, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by findark
Generally speaking you do not need to clear customs or claim bags when doing an I/I transfer. I haven't been to BKK, but can confirm at MEL that your bags should make the transfer by themselves and you should be able to remain airside without entering Australia. Note that if you do choose to enter Australia you require an ETA (obtained in advance) with a US passport.

Assuming all of the internal points are transfers, not stopovers, and aren't long (e.g. UA's rule is 13hrs or overnight) then yes you should be able to check through. Always confirm with the agent you check in with where you bags are being tagged to.

Assuming there are 6+ hrs in one place (or one one plane) in there for reasonable sleep, not if it's all in J
Great, thanks for helping confirm some of my thoughts - all of the layovers are under 13 hours.

Yes, I am most looking forward to the ride home in the OZ A380 upper deck, followed by the 787 to AKL (was originally booked in F on a 777 but UA changed the equipment on me ). From what I've read the TG 777 (MEL-BKK) experience is...hit or miss, so I am hoping we end up on the 777-300 as is displayed now and not the drastically inferior 777-200.
Old May 26, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
BKK will clear I-D bags through to the major domestic airports (obviously including Phuket) w/o need for reclaim. They have a special immigration setup for you (look for the signs on the ceiling).

30 hours from Auckland? Might be better to suck it up in Y.
Old May 26, 2017, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
That is absolutely brutal. I would look for a KF award CHC-SIN-HKT (or even better IMO, CHC-SIN-USM).
Old May 26, 2017, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
That is absolutely brutal. I would look for a KF award CHC-SIN-HKT (or even better IMO, CHC-SIN-USM).
Timing-wise I think we'll be OK - the long leg is overnight in J (midnight to 5:40AM, 9 hours of flight time), so it should be pretty easy to catch some sleep and land in HKT fully ready to lounge on the beach

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.