Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Fresh Hotel Athens, Design Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2017, 6:02 am
Original Poster
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver

Fresh Hotel

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Fresh Hotel

26 Sophokleous Street Athens, GR 10552

Fresh Hotel Athens (Member of Design Hotels) (21 Photos)

Fresh Hotel

Stayed 3 nights at the Fresh Hotel Athens. There are a couple of affordable options for SPG members in Athens if you don't want to go for the two Luxury Collection hotels.

The hotel is well situated in the center but far from the crowds. You can reach it by metro. The closest is Omonia (lines 1 and 2) and the other one (direct from the airport on line 3) is Monastiraki (lines 1 and 3). The walk from Monastiraki is ok, not the nicest and longer than if you got off Omonia.

It's very near Monastiraki Square, Hadrian's Library, Stoa, Agora and the Plaka area. Walking distance for everything if you are not afraid of walking.

The street in which the hotel is is not what I would call sexy or nice haha. Nothign bad but yeah, bit run down. There's an adult cinema around the corner as well but honestly, everything felt fine and safe. Lots of families with young kids were staying at the hotel.

IMG_4601.JPG

IMG_4602.JPG

IMG_4603.JPG

Check In

Check-in was easy and quick. The staff was friendly and efficient (at least for hotel related tasks, it was a different story when I had to ask questions regarding buses, metro, attractions). Surprisingly, I got upgraded to a corner suite on the 5th floor, that was a very nice surprise as Design Hotels do not have to upgrade Elite Members. I'm Elite Gold. My initial booking was a Superior Balcony room. The hotel was maybe full as I saw a bus (40-50 seaters) arrive right after I checked-in with a lot of people arriving...

Anyway, nice surprise.

1_IMG_4604.JPG

Room

The Suite was big. There's a small corridor, a sitting area with couch, TV, DVD player, a surround sound system installed on the ceiling, a desk, water kettle for powder coffee and tea bags. Then a big room with a nice bed, ample space for suitcases and clothes in the hanger as well as we big bathroom with a shower. 

The entire space (room + living room) was surrounded by a balcony, which is a nice bonus and I was not expecting it to go around the entire room and living room. As an Elite member, I had two bottles of water for free and two loukhoums. They were delicious.

The general feel of the room was a bit underwhelming though, a bit "plastic-y" or "Ikea" :) Certainly not the same feel as the Sir Savigny in Berlin where I stayed before arriving in Athens. It's a lot of pink and some citrus yellow-green colours.

Plenty of plugs around the bed as well with international inlets so most of us won't need an adapter.

1_FullSizeRender.jpg

1_FullSizeRender_1.jpg

1_FullSizeRender_2.jpg

1_FullSizeRender_4.jpg

1_FullSizeRender_5.jpg

1_FullSizeRender_8.jpg

IMG_4673.JPG

Dining

Tried the roof top restaurant as I arrived during Easter weekend and almost everything was closed or operating with limited choices and hours. The roof top is worth a visit, it has a small pool, an outdoor lounge area and the restaurant/bar with nice views over Athens and the Acropolis.

The food was really good. I usually avoid eating at hotels but I was pleasantly surprised. The portions are good. I took an appetizer and a main and had too much... The waiters were friendly and super accommodating. I could see and  hear them tend to the family next to my table with young kids and well, I can tell you that not all waiters would be that nice. So thumbs up for the team there. Prices were ok, nothing surprising.

Breakfast was good (my rate included breakfast but I think all rates include breakfast as no one checks your room number when you walk in. Almost any stranger could walk in from the streets and have free breakfast). But boy, it was crowded... one morning, I decided to head back to my room and wait for a bit before going back down. Selection is not bad and has your usual cold and hot buffet. A fresh orange juice squeezer (no idea how it's called but it's those machines where you put whole oranges and they go through tubes and the juice is squeezed out, really nice!).

IMG_4676.JPG

IMG_4684.JPG

IMG_4687.JPG

IMG_4690.JPG

Pool

Nice roof top pool, it was still a bit fresh (April) but people were soaking in it. It's quite small but still a good amenity to have.

It's located right above the lounge area and the view you get from there on the Acropolis is just nice!

IMG_4621.JPG

IMG_4678.JPG

IMG_4693.JPG

IMG_4695.JPG

Overall

Overall a good hotel for the price paid (around EUR 100 per night including breakfast). I'd come back but I will try the other Design Hotels around as well.

FullSizeRender_7.jpg

IMG_4672.JPG

Fresh Hotel Athens (Member of Design Hotels)

Would you like to write a review on the Fresh Hotel?

No, thank you.
Yes
unclepants and paolo64 like this.
Old May 1, 2017, 7:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the review. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old May 1, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Checked in last March for a 1 night layover. Got no upgrade whatsoever as a Plat100 guest. So had the complete opposite experience as OP.

What irked me though was having dinner at the rooftop resto. Had a 10% off voucher provided by front desk. I gave the voucher to the waiter and requested for the 10% off. Before even looking at the voucher, he said "NO". His tone surprised me as if i was there begging for the discount after eating.

So nope. Not coming back here again.
Old May 1, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I was JUST searching for info on the Design hotels in Athens. I had the best stay ever at Hotel Grande Bretagne last May, but sadly it's a bit too pricey for me for my September trip. I was considering King George because I'd heard that Design hotels don't upgrade or apply SNAs.

It is nice to finally see some info and great pics. I think there are at least three Design hotels in Athens but no info. I'm using my points and some SNAs for Rhodes, and points and cash for Vedema in Santorini. I've scraped the bottom of my points for the first time, cashing in 112k. But with four nights left in Athens, it's good to know that at least one of the hotels is nice. As a Lifetime Plat, I do love my upgrades, but it looks like a nice place despite the usual no upgrade policy. It's great that you got one!

Thanks!
Old May 1, 2017, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thaliajen
I was JUST searching for info on the Design hotels in Athens. I had the best stay ever at Hotel Grande Bretagne last May, but sadly it's a bit too pricey for me for my September trip. I was considering King George because I'd heard that Design hotels don't upgrade or apply SNAs.

It is nice to finally see some info and great pics. I think there are at least three Design hotels in Athens but no info. I'm using my points and some SNAs for Rhodes, and points and cash for Vedema in Santorini. I've scraped the bottom of my points for the first time, cashing in 112k. But with four nights left in Athens, it's good to know that at least one of the hotels is nice. As a Lifetime Plat, I do love my upgrades, but it looks like a nice place despite the usual no upgrade policy. It's great that you got one!

Thanks!
Yeah "unfortunately" they do not upgrade (or if they do, it's when they go over and beyond) but for the EUR102 I paid, it was still good value. The other hotels looked nice too, Semiramis was a bit too far from the center, but I hesitated with the AthensWas... in the end it was just a matter of taking the cheapest one for my budget this trip
Old May 1, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: American Airlines, Marriott, Hertz, Avis
Thanks for the review - am staying at Fresh Hotel in July, good to hear all about it!
Old May 1, 2017, 11:00 am

I have just spent one night in the hotel and I agree with the review. As a SPG Gold, I got an upgrade to a corner executive room (on 8th floor), which was quite nice with a big terrace. The staff was very helpful. However, I would say the area is a bit dodgy. I made a mistake of leaving my rental car in the street and unfortunately someone smashed one of the windows. There was nothing valuable in the car, but it was not a pleasant experience. So if you have a car, don't leave in the street.
Old May 1, 2017, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by supatight80
Checked in last March for a 1 night layover. Got no upgrade whatsoever as a Plat100 guest. So had the complete opposite experience as OP.

What irked me though was having dinner at the rooftop resto. Had a 10% off voucher provided by front desk. I gave the voucher to the waiter and requested for the 10% off. Before even looking at the voucher, he said "NO". His tone surprised me as if i was there begging for the discount after eating.

So nope. Not coming back here again.
Sorry to hear about your experience... I also had the 10% voucher and it worked fine. I also had a free drink voucher that I used without issues....
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:36 am

Programs: American Airlines, Marriott, Hertz, Avis
I am staying here right now - no upgrade (SPG Gold) - but then again I booked through expedia so wasn't expecting any, and won't be getting points for this (the price was significantly less at the time I booked, so worth it).

The room is small, two double beds pushed together, but clean and has all the amenities I need - I was just in Rome where our hotel was missing basics like tissues and a decent garbage can, so my standards are pretty simple at the moment. It's maybe a teensy bit warm in the room, but manageable, and the tiny pool on the roof is a great thing to have when it's this hot outside.

The included breakfast was fantastic, I'm truly amazed how good this food is for something free with the room. Nice hotel, good location, great price - I can't complain.

Edit - not sure why the image broke, direct link here: http://imgur.com/a/eYLnE

Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: UAL,CO
Reasonably new hotel, good price/value ratio.
Very good food at breakfast buffet - love the fresh orange juice machine.
Staff very good and helpful throughout the hotel.

Neighborhood felt a little difficult when we walked towards the Kerameikos cemetary museum, but otherwise we walked to everything without any incidents.
Taxi to and from airport to the hotel was uneventful.

We had dinner at Stoa Athanaton at the edge of the market. The restaurant is 100 yards from the hotel front door. Review in Fodor and here:
https://www.chowhound.com/post/3-day...-athens-679751
Old Oct 15, 2023, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Anyone have any updated reviews of this property? I have a couple of nights booked already at the Moxy, so decided to switch it up a bit for the last night after returning from the islands and stay at the Fresh Hotel.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 9:27 am

Programs: Marriott, United, Jetblue
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Anyone have any updated reviews of this property? I have a couple of nights booked already at the Moxy, so decided to switch it up a bit for the last night after returning from the islands and stay at the Fresh Hotel.
I stayed back in June for a night. I think this hotel is perfect for this price point. Clean, friendly staff, location is walkable to sites, rooms are small, mattress is firm but comfortable, breakfast is a great spread with good espresso drinks, easy get Uber and commute to airport.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ken C
I stayed back in June for a night. I think this hotel is perfect for this price point. Clean, friendly staff, location is walkable to sites, rooms are small, mattress is firm but comfortable, breakfast is a great spread with good espresso drinks, easy get Uber and commute to airport.
Excellent, thanks for sharing! Should be a nice comfortable night for us before returning home.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 11:25 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Ken C
I assume breakfast costs extra for elites these days, as it's not a published benefit for the Design Hotel chain?
Old Mar 4, 2024, 11:46 am

Programs: Marriott, United, Jetblue
Originally Posted by Explore
I assume breakfast costs extra for elites these days, as it's not a published benefit for the Design Hotel chain?
No, I don't think its a elite benefit, if so I did not specifically selecting a amenity, FDA just noted what time breakfast was served on the second floor at check-in. I believe breakfast is extended to all guests, price incl in the room rate. I also don't remember there being any specific special rate details while booking. It was a very nice spread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.