Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SE Status turned off at 4pm PST

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2017, 5:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100k, AS MVP Gold, National EE, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
SE Status turned off at 4pm PST

I was in the middle of my last booking as a Super Elite, trying to burn up my remaining 400k miles.

At 4pm when I went to pay for my booking on Aeroplan.com it booted me and asked me to login again! Lost my status 8 hours early! Now it shows me only one option for my itinerary and no returj options. ): Also that option is has two connections. Now I'm on hold trying to get through to the call centre.

Wish me luck!
Old Feb 28, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Aeroplan appears to operate on GMT, where midnight = 4pm Vancouver time.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Aeroplan appears to operate on GMT, where midnight = 4pm Vancouver time.
I believe all airlines do. All flight time are in GMT and converted back to local time. If op calls in, I would think AC would still give him the SE option until midnight Eastern.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 6:04 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
OP, good luck with your call, but no surprise on this, typical of AC/Aeroplan to run something off GMT even though that's not a relevant time zone to the vast majority of their customers. Hopefully the call will get you the right result!
Old Feb 28, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I'd be shocked if Aeroplan can override their system....

I wonder if AC's lounge access software had the same issue. If so, it would have been amusing to hang out at lounges starting at 4pm pacific/7pm eastern time.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
I believe all airlines do. All flight time are in GMT and converted back to local time. If op calls in, I would think AC would still give him the SE option until midnight Eastern.
Thinking a little more about this. One would think the time would be based on central time since AC res system is in YWG.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: AC SE
That's quite unfortunate - I would have expected them to switch the status at Midnight EST, so I don't think most customers would expect they'd lose their benefits before the end of the day. While honoring priority bookings for the rest of the day would be the right thing to do, I'm doubtful their agents are empowered to do the right thing in this case.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
All these people outraged that it didn't switch at EST time because YYZ is the centre of the world.... oh no wait, it's not, GMT is.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 8:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I had to fight for months for some promotional miles for a SFO-YVR trip. I booked it around 8pm on the last day.

I don't care what time zone your servers run on. I'm in PST, as are my origin and destination.

The sane thing to do would be to say it ends today, but don't actually switch over until tomorrow.

Suddenly there are no complaints, and the cost is minimal.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
IT geek checking in.

There are timezones not GMT?
Old Feb 28, 2017, 8:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Amadeus and other airline ticketing systems all use GMT.

Cow, if you fought and won the promo miles, you are probably the reason why all the promos and the last EyW terms now say book by 8pm EST in the fine print.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 8:44 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by expert7700
Cow, if you fought and won the promo miles, you are probably the reason why all the promos and the last EyW terms now say book by 8pm EST in the fine print.
So, an FTer managed to change AC corporate policy!
Old Feb 28, 2017, 8:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by expert7700
Amadeus and other airline ticketing systems all use GMT.

I "won" well after EYW. It took months and months to get a resolution.

And I'm pretty sure the Aeroplan supervisor was just like "omg I know you're technically right but we can't make AC pay so just take these miles and screw off".

But I'm glad they clarify things now. In my case, I simply would have booked earlier if the terms had indicated a time zone.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 8:56 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
So, an FTer managed to change AC corporate policy!
It's happened many times in the past.

Ever heard of the mtacchi rule?
Old Feb 28, 2017, 9:03 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
But I'm glad they clarify things now. In my case, I simply would have booked earlier if the terms had indicated a time zone.
where have they clarified things?

I'm still trying to get them to give MrsQQ the correct altitude bonus miles since I can't find anywhere that it says early recognition is only after March 1. She was SE100K last year, was downgraded to E35K and has already met the AQD/AQM requirements to be E50K and E75K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.