Wiki Posts
Search

EVA, Thai or Turkish

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:10 am
Original Poster

EVA, Thai or Turkish

Hello,

I'm booking business class reward travel from Halifax to Kuala Lumpur return.
The options seem to be:

Eastbound 1: AC to LHR then Turkish to IST and KL
Eastbound 2: AC to LHR then Thai to BKK and KL
Westbound : AC to YVR then EVA to Taipei and KL

The return flights are on the same carriers in each case.

All routings involve AC to some degree and the flight durations are similar.

I guess my question is...who has the best business product...EVA, Thai or Turkish?

thanks in advance.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
EVA, but not out of YVR. The 747 is not flat bed.

Your best (and fastest?), will be TK - and you dont have to suffer domestic AC all the way to YVR.
If TK is on a widebody from LHR, it will also be flat bed.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:37 am

BR > TK > TG.

Crappy seats out of YVR is a definite factor against BR. Also if you're unable to find room in a 777 or 787 for the AC trip to YVR that's also not good. You can't connect out of somewhere else?

If you haven't been, the TK lounge is (one of) the best business class lounge in the world. Also FYI TK will give you a free hotel if you have a 7 hour layover (depending on some rules, check the TK flyertalk) and day tour (60USD for Canadians to leave the airport tho). TK food is usually pretty good as well.

...Unless you have reservations against travelling to Turkey.

I'd suggest avoiding TG if you can.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Look at the surcharges as well. I would prefer TG from CDG with their 380 and there are always award seats available. AC to CDG then connect onto TG. The surcharge from LHR is going to be high. We have done TG in First and Business and no regrets. We have also done TK in J, not bad but I feel TG has a better product soft and hard. And keep in mind with TG you get a free massage in BKK on arrival before connecting on to your next flight.

And you can chose your meals ahead of time on TG. TG also flies the 777 to KUL full lie flat bed.

TK lounge is very crowded but the food offerings are better than TG, in BKK you can try not only TG's lounge but SQ as well. With TK you will have a long layover usually and their airport is a zoo. Even though you get a hotel, you cannot select which hotel and where, its up to the airport agents, and yes, its based on your time. And with TK IIROPS is going to be a problem, their ground staff is not as efficient as their onboard crew.

Last edited by djjaguar64; Feb 27, 2017 at 7:13 am
Old Feb 27, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: AC 75K
EVA's 747 service to YVR ends in July. If you're booking after that, I'd go with BR.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 7:03 am

You may want to consider AC to YYZ or YUL, then TK to IST and KL. You'll avoid the Heathrow taxes on J departures which, I hear, are quite substantial.

TK to IST from YUL / YYZ is pleasant: meal, sleep, and you're almost there.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 7:06 am

Couldn't you fly AC to IAD, enjoy the Turkish lounge there in Washington (the only one in N.America, I believe) and then fly to IST and then on to KUL?

Also, the day tours are nice, highly recommend if you have the time to take advantage.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can always try TK by flying from YYZ to CDG with them and then onto TG's 380.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by quantumofforce
Couldn't you fly AC to IAD, enjoy the Turkish lounge there in Washington (the only one in N.America, I believe) and then fly to IST and then on to KUL?

Also, the day tours are nice, highly recommend if you have the time to take advantage.
Avoid the US at all costs, its a hassle, customs, immigration etc. just to try TK's lounge? Does not make sense.

Last edited by djjaguar64; Feb 27, 2017 at 7:13 am
Old Feb 27, 2017, 7:09 am

What about BR via YYZ? How far out are you looking?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Yes, I would agree, best option is BR via YYZ.
If flights not open in business, book via YVR and then try to change 1-2 weeks before
departure.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Yes, I would agree, best option is BR via YYZ.
If flights not open in business, book via YVR and then try to change 1-2 weeks before
departure.
The only thing I don't like about BR is their late departure at 1:45am, I mean its good because you can sleep and wake up refreshed in TPE but you cannot really enjoy their inflight service. Don't get me wrong, BR is a great airline but I still prefer TG.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Avoid the US at all costs, its a hassle, customs, immigration etc. just to try TK's lounge? Does not make sense.
fair enough, I have family in Washington so I usually stop for an extra day or two then continue on.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
The only thing I don't like about BR is their late departure at 1:45am, I mean its good because you can sleep and wake up refreshed in TPE but you cannot really enjoy their inflight service. Don't get me wrong, BR is a great airline but I still prefer TG.
+++^

(Except I never feel that refreshed landing in TPE either)
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:23 am

Read my signature thread too

Avoid LHR at all costs - High fees/APD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.