Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Does the 100-mile radius include international airports?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2017, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL

If the "100 miles from the US border" treats international airports as part of the US border, almost everywhere within the continental US east of the Rockies is part of the Constitution-free zone, as a practical matter.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That may rank with "anything not expressly permitted is forbidden" as one of most pernicious arguments for tyranny I've heard. The border is everywhere!
Not saying you're proposing or supporting it, but I'll bet there's a pencil-necked geek at DOJ whispering Jefferson Q Racist's ear right now.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 3:44 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Old Feb 26, 2017, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by battensea
If the "100 miles from the US border" treats international airports as part of the US border, almost everywhere within the continental US east of the Rockies is part of the Constitution-free zone, as a practical matter.
There are arguments that can and have been made to say just that. But the US Constitution still applies, with the border control related exemptions applicable.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA884
That's just talking about the coastal and physical-international borders. It doesn't mention the airports.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 10:43 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by battensea
That's just talking about the coastal and physical-international borders. It doesn't mention the airports.
Embedded in the image is a link to additional ACLU resources, including the following:
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA884
Embedded in the image is a link to additional ACLU resources, including the following:
Thanks, TWA884. I had skimmed those before starting this thread.
The way the ACLU's documents are written seems to suggest that the 100 miles radius refers only to the coasts and the borders with Canada and Mexico. But I didn't see any definitive statement from them regarding distances from international airports.

Topeka, KS is about 700 miles from either Canada or the Gulf Coast, but only 60 miles from Kansas City International Airport.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Lake Michigan is entirely within the borders of the US, why should any border zone include it? (Other than the parts of the UP that may be within 100 miles of Canada)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.