Wiki Posts
Search

Strange TATL routing

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Strange TATL routing

Flew UA 961 FRA-EWR on 2/23. Captain announced that we would be departing late, because FRA ATC was routing us through French airspace. During the flight, I noticed we were flying in a "straight" line to EWR, not even entering US airspace until around Boston. Every Northern European flight to EWR I've ever been on has headed north, over (or close to) Greenland, then across and down through Canada. I saw the First Officer at the end of the flight, and he said it was an unusual routing, but didn't indicate any specific reason (like high winds, etc.). Is it unusual, or I just haven't noticed before?
Attached Images  
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:17 am
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
There are many reasons that this would be the routing. Most likely would be the enroute winds aloft and weather. Based on that screenshot, it looks like there is a storm system in the North Atlantic that was trying to be avoided. This is not all that uncommon. The delay because routed through French airspace is just a byproduct of the more southerly routing.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Horrible weather north of NY. That routing which would have your aircraft flying BGR-EWR on the US segment would likely be slow, turbulent and subject to diversion. While your route was no ideal, it is far better than an unpleasant and longer flight which winds up at PIT or BWI.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1
Horrible weather north of NY. That routing which would have your aircraft flying BGR-EWR on the US segment would likely be slow, turbulent and subject to diversion. While your route was no ideal, it is far better than an unpleasant and longer flight which winds up at PIT or BWI.
The flight was a bit turbulent mid-way and slightly late, but a way better outcome to what you're suggesting.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
I flew a similar when the Icelandic volcano was erupting
Attached Images  
Old Feb 26, 2017, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
not a strange routing at all ... have flown it a couple of times. Winds/weather can make it the better route. It is rare I agree, but not strange
Old Feb 26, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
You don't fly close to Greenland on FRA-EWR. Maybe you were seeing Newfoundland off to the north or something, but typically you wouldn't be within 500 miles of Greenland. Check out FRA-EWR on Great Circle Mapper.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Flightaware loses track of this flight over the Atlantic, but shows a very similar route for every day between the 20-23rd of Feb - including routing over France rather than the UK.

eg, for the 20th - https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...005Z/EDDF/KEWR
Old Feb 26, 2017, 12:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by catocony
Check out FRA-EWR on Great Circle Mapper.
You don't typically fly a perfect GC route on TATL flights, especially westbound. The winds blowing east make sure of that.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by sbm12
You don't typically fly a perfect GC route on TATL flights, especially westbound. The winds blowing east make sure of that.
Of course. However, you're usually not going to be 500 miles north of the normal path when you're at that latitude. The south routing like on the 20th-23rd is probably 50-75 miles off the normal route. The southernmost tip of Greenland would be at least 550 miles north of the route. With winds up there, I can't think of a scenario on a normal routing that would divert that far north. It would add quite a bit of time and distance to the flight - an hour and a half at least.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.