Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KLM IRROPS today - Hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2017, 1:42 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
KLM IRROPS today - Hotel?

I've had the pleasure to have never had to deal with a full-on overnight delay for a KLM flight before. Looks like 643 AMS-JFK is completely canned today, and after correcting for some absolutely horrid auto-rebooking KLM did with the Plat service line, I was left with no answer with regards to hotel compensation policy -- and of course, KLM's customer care is closed Sundays.

What's the policy here? Do I get vouchers or is it a 'claim later' deal? I'll be making an EC261 claim, plus collecting receipts to throw at American Express later as well (whose insurance and general service line is... you guessed it, also closed).
Old Feb 26, 2017, 1:46 am

I have had flights cancelled twice with KLM due to weather. Both times I submitted by hotel claims through their website and both times they have refunded be by cheque.

I provided all the flight info, a short explanation and a scan of the hotel receipt, they replied by email within a week that they would be sending a check for the full amount, which they did.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 1:52 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
I have had flights cancelled twice with KLM due to weather. Both times I submitted by hotel claims through their website and both times they have refunded be by cheque.

I provided all the flight info, a short explanation and a scan of the hotel receipt, they replied by email within a week that they would be sending a check for the full amount, which they did.
Thanks for the quick data point. I'm in downtown Amsterdam, would my hotel here be covered or do I have to make it to an airport hotel? I'm always at the Andaz here, which is around EUR 300 per night or more.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 2:02 am

Why not phone the Plat line again and ask? I'm sure there shouldn't be a problem with a hotel in a city, but 300€/night might be a bit more of an issue.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 2:02 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Ditto
Why not phone the Plat line again and ask? I'm sure there shouldn't be a problem with a hotel in a city, but 300€/night might be a bit more of an issue.
The Plat line says only regular customer care can answer this with any certainty, and they are, you guessed it, closed on Sundays.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 2:10 am

Programs: FB plat for life
contact them social media - they are pretty quick then.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 2:18 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pjhartog
contact them social media - they are pretty quick then.
Will send them a DM. Thanks.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 2:54 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Social media was extremely helpful in stating the following:

Hartelijk bedankt voor de opheldering, Sebastiaan. KLM Customer Care bepaalt wat de uiteindelijke vergoeding is en alleen zij kunnen uitspraken doen over wat en hoeveel er wordt vergoed. We raden onze passagiers gebruikelijk aan om alleen het hoognodige te boeken. We kunnen geen garanties geven over of uw hotel daaronder valt. Tot slot raden we ook aan om de bonnetjes te bewaren, omdat Customer Care deze nodig heeft voor het onderzoeken van de claim.
Which translates to: we have no idea, Customer Care knows this and we can't guarantee anything.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
There are flights to OTHER North American destinations leaving today, as well as flights to other European hubs - of the Skyteam persuasion as well as of others - that can all get you to your destination today.

Given that it was still morning when all this started, and it has only just passed noon - why has it not occurred to you to ask to be rebooked?
Old Feb 26, 2017, 4:20 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by irishguy28
There are flights to OTHER North American destinations leaving today, as well as flights to other European hubs - of the Skyteam persuasion as well as of others - that can all get you to your destination today.

Given that it was still morning when all this started, and it has only just passed noon - why has it not occurred to you to ask to be rebooked?
I was told the best option is a nonstop Delta flight tomorrow morning. The rest were also A. All tomorrow, and B. with several stopovers.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Bogwoppit

Both times this happened to me I got my flights rebooked through DM on twitter. I did not even ask about the hotel, I just booked one that I could afford and then claimed for it. My travel insurance would have covered it if KLM had not.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 10:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Just book you own hotel and claim back the hotel costs from KLM afterwards.
It's covered by EC261/2004.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 2:23 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by warakorn
Just book you own hotel and claim back the hotel costs from KLM afterwards.
It's covered by EC261/2004.
Question is if a 300 euro hotel would be reimbursed, while a 150 euro airport hotel would do fine.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Whatever the reason for the cancellation, EC 261/2004 requires KL to provide a duty of care. In this case that will include a hotel & meals.

However, the Regulation does not specify what amounts must be reimbursed and what is reasonable.

BA, by way of example, when it does not issue a voucher (or otherwise prepay) sets a hard cap of GBP 200 at LON. Nobody has yet reported back any successful legal challenges to that as unreasonable.

On the other hand, if you have insurance to cover EUR 300, why stint yourself. If KL covers, all the better. If KL does not, you are covered nonetheless.

It does seem unreasonable that KL is unable to provide simple information in IRROPS.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: Flying Blue PFL; IHG Rewards Club Diamond; HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by caliform
I've had the pleasure to have never had to deal with a full-on overnight delay for a KLM flight before. Looks like 643 AMS-JFK is completely canned today, and after correcting for some absolutely horrid auto-rebooking KLM did with the Plat service line, I was left with no answer with regards to hotel compensation policy -- and of course, KLM's customer care is closed Sundays.

What's the policy here? Do I get vouchers or is it a 'claim later' deal? I'll be making an EC261 claim, plus collecting receipts to throw at American Express later as well (whose insurance and general service line is... you guessed it, also closed).
Last Saturday my flight from Edinburgh to Amsterdam was delayed by two hours due to fog at Schiphol and I missed my connection to Detroit. When I did get to Amsterdam I went to the KLM desk in Lounge 25 and they tried to rebook me. Every flight to the US on the Saturday was already full so I had to stay until Sunday. After rebooking me, I was sent down to the Sky Priority office in the baggage hall and I was give a hotel voucher for Saturday night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.