Wiki Posts
Search

AS Routing Rules

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2017, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

AS Routing Rules

Hey guys,

Was just wondering what kind of routing rules does AS use for putting together an award flight.

For example, if traveling from the West coast to Asia, does the flight have to be a TPAC route? Or is it possible to fly to the east coast and then do a TATL to Asia from say JFK?

Thanks
Old Feb 25, 2017, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
It all depends on the partner.

Via CX or JL its over the Pacific.

Via EK its over the North Pole/Atlantic.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa

Via CX or JL its over the Pacific.
Darn, that's unfortunate. Was eying a CX flight which goes YVR-JFK-HKG. I suppose that's a no go then
Old Feb 25, 2017, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Darn, that's unfortunate. Was eying a CX flight which goes YVR-JFK-HKG. I suppose that's a no go then
No award-seat availability on CX's YVR-HKG nonstop?
Old Feb 25, 2017, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
No award-seat availability on CX's YVR-HKG nonstop?
Not for the dates (+/- 7 days) I'm looking at
Old Feb 25, 2017, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Not for the dates (+/- 7 days) I'm looking at
Well, YVR-JFK-HKG is still a TPAC (or maybe a polar) routing. The real question is whether AS permit the substantial backtracking that such a routing entails.

Have you called AS and asked?
Old Feb 25, 2017, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Well, YVR-JFK-HKG is still a TPAC (or maybe a polar) routing. The real question is whether AS permit the substantial backtracking that such a routing entails.

Have you called AS and asked?
I suppose it's more of a polar route. But anyways, just thought I'd ask on here first.

Will give AS a ring tomorrow and see what they say.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 11:27 pm
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Hey guys,

Was just wondering what kind of routing rules does AS use for putting together an award flight.

For example, if traveling from the West coast to Asia, does the flight have to be a TPAC route? Or is it possible to fly to the east coast and then do a TATL to Asia from say JFK?

Thanks
Alaska doesn't actually have routing rules for most carriers as far as I can determine. What it does do is restrict you to one airline per award, and not all airlines can be used to visit any particular destination. You are constrained by the route map of that airline.

For example, one person implied that you're required to fly over the Pacific when taking Cathay Pacific to reach Asia. This isn't because there's a rule that you have to fly over the Pacific. It's because Cathay Pacific doesn't fly over the Atlantic. There's simply no other choice.

You are allowed to book one award with British Airways over the Atlantic to Europe, and then you could book a second award with Cathay Pacific from Europe to Hong Kong. But those are two separate awards.

I'm not sure what would happen if you tried to backtrack in an example like YVR-JFK-HKG. I think it's possible an agent would say no, since YVR-JFK is advertised separately with it's own award price.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Scottrick
Alaska doesn't actually have routing rules for most carriers as far as I can determine. What it does do is restrict you to one airline per award, and not all airlines can be used to visit any particular destination. You are constrained by the route map of that airline.

For example, one person implied that you're required to fly over the Pacific when taking Cathay Pacific to reach Asia. This isn't because there's a rule that you have to fly over the Pacific. It's because Cathay Pacific doesn't fly over the Atlantic. There's simply no other choice.

You are allowed to book one award with British Airways over the Atlantic to Europe, and then you could book a second award with Cathay Pacific from Europe to Hong Kong. But those are two separate awards.

I'm not sure what would happen if you tried to backtrack in an example like YVR-JFK-HKG. I think it's possible an agent would say no, since YVR-JFK is advertised separately with it's own award price.
Update: Just called AS, YVR-JFK-HKG flying CX is valid. Not sure if you tried to do YVR-JFK on AS whether that would still be valid though.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 1:36 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Update: Just called AS, YVR-JFK-HKG flying CX is valid. Not sure if you tried to do YVR-JFK on AS whether that would still be valid though.
That specific route is in the award charts.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jinglish
I'm not sure what you're trying to link to? Your link just takes me to the general mileage chart page.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:24 am

Can you do a JFK stopover with that routing? If so, that'd be very interesting. Personally, I wouldn't fly all the way to JFK with simple layover, even in F.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 10:11 am

I've returned from HKG-JFK-YVR. It's allowed, but not an optimal choice.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I'm not sure what you're trying to link to? Your link just takes me to the general mileage chart page.
jinglish was informing you that Continental US to Canada with CX is specifically listed in the award charts. If you select Continental US to Canada in that link you will see the CX award chart for that routing.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flytoeat
I've returned from HKG-JFK-YVR. It's allowed, but not an optimal choice.
I agree it's not optimal, but when its either YVR-JFK-HKG in J/F or YVR-HKG in Y....

Tough choice to be honest. 21 hours (+ layover) in J/F or 14 hours in Y?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.