Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

will airlines ever retire the no smoking sign?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2017, 1:32 am
Original Poster

when was the last time there were commercial flights that allowed passengers to light up?

i do not think smoking will ever come back in commercial aircraft. maybe soon the no smoking sign will not even be necessary, it will go without saying.

lighters are not even allowed on board, so even without the sign nobody should be able to light up.

i do enjoy a stogie once in a while, but it is in the privacy of our own home.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 4:14 am

I believe smoking was concretely banned by the mid/late 90's, though I can't remember it.
The sign, on the other hand, should not disappear soon, probably as a security measure. Many planes still have ashtrays in the lavatories. It may seem contradictory with the smoke alarms - that even get a special mention during security instructions! -, but, if anyone decides to defy the law and have a smoke, it is better to put it out in the ashtray. Accidents have happened because a lit cigarette was just tossed in the regular paper bin.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 5:03 am

I've seen it replaced by a mobile phone symbol on some recent flights with EK.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 5:19 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
The sign will not disappear as people will start smoking again. There's always someone in a large group of people saying "I can smoke. There's no sign saying otherwise".

On newer airplanes the sign has been replaced by a sticker, which seems reasonable given that the "no smoking" sign usually isn't switched off.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 5:39 am
Original Poster

no mobile sign on EK

interesting, i have not seen that one yet.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I've seen many newer planes without the sign.

And no, I haven't heard anyone say "I can smoke, there's no sign that says I can't" - there are many, many things you can't do and there aren't signs calling out every one.

There is no economic argument to redesign/re-certify/replace the interior of an existing airplane just to remove an old sign. As new aircraft are introduced, interiors completely refreshed, etc., they will gradually fade away. But many aircraft are operational for 20, 30, etc., years, so they will likely be around somewhere for awhile.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:25 am

Delta and American on their new B738/9's have Seat Belt and Wifi instead of the no smoking light. Nearly every B788/9 that I have been on does not have a no smoking light.

Last edited by ROCAT; Feb 22, 2017 at 9:56 am
Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by ft101
I've never flow EK, but I do recall seeing the "electronic devices can be used" symbol in place of the no smoking light before. I'm not sure which airline, but I think it was US domestic on a narrow body Airbus.

As others have mentioned, a sticker can be used for no smoking, no light really needed.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:59 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by WorldLux
The sign will not disappear as people will start smoking again. There's always someone in a large group of people saying "I can smoke. There's no sign saying otherwise".

On newer airplanes the sign has been replaced by a sticker, which seems reasonable given that the "no smoking" sign usually isn't switched off.
People smoke anyway (I've seen e-cigs used in the US, pilots smoking in Egypt and China, and random folks all over lighting up).

That's why there are still ashtrays by lav doors...in case someone is smoking, ashtrays are good places (on a plane) to put out a cigarette.

Plenty of other electronic signs could be added to the list. "Keep your socks on" is one of them...
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: LH M+M
Originally Posted by ft101
same for a 4U/EW in an A320.

(and lighters are allowed in at least ol yurop)
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ROCAT
Delta and American on their new B739's have Seat Belt and Wifi instead of the no smoking light. Nearly every B788/9 that I have been on does not have a no smoking light.
Yeah seems like most US carriers have updated to this on either new planes or when refurbing old planes (if I recall correctly the refurbed DL A320s I flew at the end of 2016 were wifi and seatbelt only and the refurbed CR9 I flew two weeks ago definitely was)
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by CPRich
And no, I haven't heard anyone say "I can smoke, there's no sign that says I can't" - there are many, many things you can't do and there aren't signs calling out every one.
You say that, but let me tell you a small story regarding people and signs prohibiting something. Back when I was a student working a summer job, people would park on the private parking spots outside the office, despite it being very clearly private property (it was like parking on someones driveway).

To stop this, they put up a single sign for every row of parking (~5 spots/row) saying that all of it were private parking. Yet people still park outside because the - and I quote one of them "The sign is only in front of that spot. I can therefore park on the other".

We (the summer jobbers) were then told to put up a sign for every efffing parking spot and people still did it. In the end every parking spot had TWO signs saying "Private parking" and occasionally people still park illegally there.

If there's one certain thing, it's that you'll always find that one guy, who's going to do something illegal because there isn't a sign telling him not to.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by CPRich
You underestimate people. The need to smoke is apparently very primal to many.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Neither of the last 2 posts addresses anything I said. I haven't heard anyone say they could smoke, and there are lots of things you can't do that aren't signed.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 5:51 pm

You are permitted to carry lighters in the US

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.