Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Not getting miles or PQDs for segment ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 11:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.

Just completed this itinerary:

SFO-YVR-HKG-TPE-SFO.

The outbounds were on AC and the return on HX and UA. Whole ticket booked on UA.

Didn't get the mileage credit for the HX codeshare for HKG-TPE.

I'm assuming because HX isn't *A? The flight was actually BR and when I actually checked in at Kowloon Station, I first went to the HX counter, which couldn't find me on their system.

So I went to the BR counter which issued me the boarding passes, which clearly has EVA logos.

Anyone encounter this? Not sure why they even have HX in the mix. Pretty sure when I booked on united.com, it showed as BR flight number but at some point it changed.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
I'm assuming because HX isn't *A? The flight was actually BR and when I actually checked in at Kowloon Station, I first went to the HX counter, which couldn't find me on their system.
Correct. *A credits miles based upon the operating carrier, regardless of the marketing code. Since HX is not *A, and is also not a non-UA MileagePlus partner, you will not be able to earn MileagePlus awards for that flight.

You may be able to earn miles from an HX partner by submitting that boarding pass to the partner airline. http://www.wheretocredit.com is normally a good resource, although the page seems to be acting up for me right now.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:04 am
Suspended
Original Poster

The operating carrier was in fact BR.

Not even sure why UA uses the HX codeshare when it's a *A partner that is actually operating the flight on their plane.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:41 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The operating carrier was in fact BR. ...
What was the label on the outside of the aircraft?
Was the crew BR or HX?
(think of a possible wet lease)

Something related with BR operating in HKG?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

It was BR plane.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was BR plane.
What was your booking class code on BR? This may not be the same as booking class code on HX. BR awards no miles for most lower booking classes (A, E, F, G, I, N, O, R, U, V, X, Z).
Old Feb 22, 2017, 1:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

It's J class but the UA ticket has HX1828 flight number.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
It was booked and marketed as Hong Kong Airlines (HX). The fact that you flew on BR equipment actually doesn't matter. Sounds like this is a United ticket so you will not get credit.

What does your BP say? Is it a BR-coded, BR-designated flight? If so you stand a chance of getting credit.

However, I think this is one situation where booking through United actually hurt you because their ticket says HX. Even if BR submitted a mileage request to UA for this flight UA would have rejected it because it doesn't match your ticket.

You may be able to get someone at United to manually process this for you but IMO it will likely not happen.

Good thing HKG-TPE is only 501 miles. I wonder how many PQDs were assigned to this segment on the ticket? That's the kick in the pants.

-RM
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
It was booked and marketed as Hong Kong Airlines (HX). The fact that you flew on BR equipment actually doesn't matter.
By *A rules, the operating carrier is (supposed to be) all that matters. I don't see anything on the the EVA Air earning page that would disqualify an HX-coded flight, provided that it's operated by BR. However, you'd get PQM/PQD credit based upon the fare class in BR's system, not necessarily the one on the receipt., and, as TerryK pointed out, there are a lot of ineligible fare classes on BR flights.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Well I emailed Mileage Plus, with a screen shot of the BR boarding passes and an explanation of the fact that HX wouldn't check me in at all but BR did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.