Wiki Posts
Search

No alcohol until out of state from BDL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2017, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
No alcohol until out of state from BDL

BDL to CLT, not a long ordeal, but it made for an interesting discussion during preflight drinks. I was at the back of the new First, row 2.

I am not familiar with this, though the crew said it happens from time to time. They said New Mexico is another location it happens (ABQ).

anyone else? they used a bunch of legalish words based around liability.
But also said it gets lifted quickly in most cases.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Well CT is one of the more puritanical states, only allowing alcohol sales on Sundays in the last 3-4 years. I thought there was a convention about after takeoff some generic regs governed vs those of the state you might be passing over. Otherwise it could be like driving on the interstate where the speed limit changes from place to place. Yes you can have a drink now, wait now no you can't.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Last I looked (and this is old) this was the case:

) BDL: The only Domestic station that doesn't allow liquor to be sold or served on the ground at all.
So, it kinda follows, in a way.

Nothing listed from that time on ABQ, only Texas
Old Feb 19, 2017, 9:35 pm

I thought LUS had an incident in New Mexico that involved a PAX and something happened that prevented service for a while.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 9:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Centurion
I thought LUS had an incident in New Mexico that involved a PAX and something happened that prevented service for a while.
You're correct, was quite some time ago:
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/trave...w-mexico_x.htm
Old Feb 19, 2017, 9:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The old US lounge at BDL didn't seem to have any obvious restrictions on alcohol.

More recently, including about a half year ago, I've never had DL FAs not be willing to serve adult PDBs on the ground at BDL. My most recent BDL departure would have been on a Sunday afternoon.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The old US lounge at BDL didn't seem to have any obvious restrictions on alcohol.

More recently, including about a half year ago, I've never had DL FAs not be willing to serve adult PDBs on the ground at BDL. My most recent BDL departure would have been on a Sunday afternoon.
Most states with Sunday liquor laws restrict morning sales and /or sale without food service. So morning flights are especially liable and perhaps all PDB service could be impacted.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 11:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Segments
Most states with Sunday liquor laws restrict morning sales and /or sale without food service. So morning flights are especially liable and perhaps all PDB service could be impacted.
I don't think I've ever been near BDL in the morning, so my remarks all apply to afternoon and early evening regardless of the day of the week.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Well CT is one of the more puritanical states, only allowing alcohol sales on Sundays in the last 3-4 years. I thought there was a convention about after takeoff some generic regs governed vs those of the state you might be passing over. Otherwise it could be like driving on the interstate where the speed limit changes from place to place. Yes you can have a drink now, wait now no you can't.
You are talking off sale, I owned a bar in CT and they were always open on Sunday 11am - 1am as opposed to 9am openings Mon-Saturday and 2am closings on Friday and Saturday

The liquor and beer stores were closed on Sundays
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JonNYC
You're correct, was quite some time ago:
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/trave...w-mexico_x.htm

It was overturned at the circuit court. However both agreed to dismiss before the district court ruled again following the circuit ruling. I think NM knew they would likely lose, but US didn't want the cost of possible appeal to SCOTUS.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 5:47 am

Programs: AA Plat/UA Silver/MR Lifetime PP/Avis Pref Sel
There was a period of time about 9 - 10 years ago where US couldn't serve alcoholic PDB in Florida. It had to do with them not renewing their license.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 5:55 am
Suspended

As I mentioned , this is over a year old, so FWIW:

1) BDL: The only Domestic station that doesn't allow liquor to be sold or served on the ground at all.

2) Texas:
a) Liquor may not be sold or served on the ground prior to noon on Sundays.
b) May not be sold or served on the ground Mon - Sat between midnight and 7am.

3) Canada, Mexico, Caribbean:
a) Liquor carts must remain sealed while aircraft is on the ground.
b) F liquor cart can be opened once customer boarding has begun, but only to access non-alcoholic PDB's.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:36 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Based on info in the "other PDB" tread, not being served liquor as part of PDB at BDL is only an issue if the FAs even do PDB.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: AA PLT; DL Gold MDL
I've enjoyed many Bloody Mary's leaving BDL on my Sunday morning flights.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 10:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ctmike
I've enjoyed many Bloody Mary's leaving BDL on my Sunday morning flights.
I'm sure that that means that that section I posted is old and outdated (it's from late 2015, but on the off, off, off, off chance it is still current-- maybe best not to call to much attention to that.

But, again, probably has been lifted, I'd have to assume.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.