Wiki Posts
Search

Excellent treatment of PLT at Sheraton SJC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2002, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
Excellent treatment of PLT at Sheraton SJC

With all the threads going to and fro about how certain SPG properties treat PLTs like cr*p, I thought I would preemptively stick- up for one of my favorite SPG properties.

I have stayed pretty regularly at most of the San Jose area SPG properties during the past few years and with the Sheraton SJC I can't recall having yet been disappointed with my treatment as a PLT (or even when I was a mere GLD).

Stay folders for PLT guests are prepared in advance and prominently displayed on the wall to the side of the chcek-in desk (this morning I counted 16 PLT check-in folders. It is faily obvious to colleagues that I am considered a "special" person at this hotel when my reservation is ready and "on the wall" at check-in and I am already heading to my room while theirs must still be made up.

My being PLT is usually immediately acknowledged, either by a comment that as a PLT, I have been upgraded to a suite, to the club floor, or at a minimum when I inquire about an upgrade "I am sorry Mr. Onedog, there are no suites or club floor rooms left (usually the case when I make a last minute reservation as I am driving to the hotel and am getting to the hotel late in the evening and so I understand that the good rooms have been given to other Preferred Guests) but as a SPG PLT we are able to offer you access to the club floor for complimentary breakfast in the morning.

During my many stays at the Sheraton SJC, I have been lucky enough to have been "given" the suites in the main tower as well as the condo-style suites that surround the pool. The front desk persons are very friendly and helpful and the lounge attendant for breakfast and evening cocktails are helpful and cheery.

The club floor rooms have a few extra bathroom amenities and there are usually two complimentary bottles of water left in the room (no hang tags with the infamous "for your convenience, we are trying to rip you off and have left these outrageously priced $4.50 bottles of water for you to drink").

One time, I forgot my jacket in my room and didn't realize I had forgotten it until I was at the airport. I called the hotel to tell them I forgot my jacket. They offered without my having to ask to overnight it to my home. I declined the gesture since I was returning in a few days. I just picked it up at the front desk when I returned.

Granted, this property is by no way a luxurious hotel and the furinishings in some of the un-remodeled rooms may be getting a bit long in the tooth (granted, I haven't stayed in a "regular" room in quite a while, I think this was previously a Holiday Inn) my treatment as a PLT and the great staff more than makes up for the lack of the latest bells and whistles. I don't know if my positive experiences at the Sheraton SJC is because I am a "regular" or because I am a SPG PLT, but I hope my fellow PLTs would receive the same treatment.

Good job Sheraton SJC.

[This message has been edited by onedog (edited 06-12-2002).]
Old Jun 12, 2002, 4:10 pm
Suspended

you go, sheraton.
Old Jun 12, 2002, 4:35 pm

Programs: Various
I had a very similar experience at the Sheraton Boston in March.

Fastest check-in I ahve ever had, didn't even need to be ask for an upgrade, was already put in a Suite (even though I was on a ultra cheap rate as part of my holiday booking!)

Fabulous hotel, and marvellous service will not hesitate in staying there again when I'm next in Boston.

Richard
Old Jun 13, 2002, 7:12 am

Excellent news. It is great when properties regularily do a good job like this. Such properties should receive reports so we all know about them and should be rewarded with our stays.
Old Jun 13, 2002, 7:20 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichardMannion:
I had a very similar experience at the Sheraton Boston in March.

Fastest check-in I ahve ever had, didn't even need to be ask for an upgrade, was already put in a Suite (even though I was on a ultra cheap rate as part of my holiday booking!)

Fabulous hotel, and marvellous service will not hesitate in staying there again when I'm next in Boston.

Richard
</font>
completely agree about the Boston Sheraton. Excellent recognition of platinum.

You go, Sheraton Boston!
Old Jun 13, 2002, 7:32 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by onedog:
With all the threads going to and fro about how certain SPG properties treat PLTs like cr*p, I thought I would preemptively stick-up for one of my favorite SPG properties.
</font>
Onedog – nice post and same experience for me at numerous properties, like the Sheraton AMS (Schiphol).

However, whilst such service is great and very much appreciated, it’s not totally surprising... for a Sheraton (which typically competes against a Hilton or other main chain), recognition of the Plat level is a strong point of differentiation and an "easy" way to provide good service. This even before factoring in a truly excellent hotel manager, who will make every effort to build a relationship with his guests.

Case in point – each time I stay at the Sheraton AMS, I am upgraded to a suite, even though I have never asked for anything – compared to the Hilton where I get a small Club room (Diamond). So they get my repeat business.

However, the real challenge is for more exclusive properties: some do use the SPG program to their advantage, with excellent recognition and thus loyal guests, others play a rather silly game and ultimately will lose business (as per the thread on the St Regis you were alluding to).

Old Jun 13, 2002, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Canista:
However, the real challenge is for more exclusive properties: some do use the SPG program to their advantage, with excellent recognition and thus loyal guests, others play a rather silly game and ultimately will lose business (as per the thread on the St Regis you were alluding to).

</font>
This is what I don't understand. The really exclusive properties should take full advantage of the marketing and drawing power of the elite programs instead of treating us like cr*p. When I read these threads and see how some hotels treat my fellow FTrs, I am amazed. When someone spends 40-50 nights a year at a Four Season or Ritz Carlton class hotel (thats a lot of $$) and then they are treated like cr*p at the St. Regis (fill in the name of city here), isn't this the kind of traveler that the St. Regis would like to court? SPG is my lodging company of choice, but I am a mere road warrior who stays at a lot of middle tier properties (4Pts, Sheratons, Crown Plaza, Hilton, Marriott, etc.). I have never stayed at a Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton, but if it ever came to the point where I was spending 40-50 nights a year at 5* hotels, I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Ritz Carlton.
Old Jun 13, 2002, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
One small question: anyone had any experience with the Sheraton (or Westin) Palo Alto?

I am not fully in agreement with the remarks made above as to the ill will of high-end Starwood properties toward Platinum members. For example, I can recall being treated very well recently at the Sheraton Imperial Kuala Lumpur, the Gritti Palace Venice, the Westin Sydney, among others. However, some of them do require a very unpleasant verbal duel with the check- desk: the Palace Madrid, the Prince de Galles Paris, the Royal Hawaiian, the St Francis San Francisco and others. After two or three duels, I just desist and go to the nearest Hilton, even if it happens that I won the duel. I’ve NEVER had an unpleasant check-in experience at a Hilton. Still, I do prefer Starwood and do consistently go back to those that do not require a battle of the wits upon arrival.
Old Jun 13, 2002, 10:34 pm
cxn

I have stayed at the Westin Palo Alto. I got the feeling they are the same as the St. Regis hotels. That they are too good to give an upgrade for free.

I am staying again in a week and try my luck again. Will post a report after my visit.

Christian
Old Jul 25, 2002, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have had a less-than-satisfactory experience at Sheraton SJC and avoided it ever since. Denied suite upgrade even when the hotel was almost empty, had to ask for club upgrade, than tried to charge me for club level rate at check-out.

I will give it another try based onedog's post and hopefully they will deliver.

[This message has been edited by TerryK (edited 07-25-2002).]
Old Jul 25, 2002, 10:13 am

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
I have had the opportunity to stay at both the Palo Alto Sheraton and Westin and, surprisingly, would reccomend the Sheraton.

* As a Platinum I was treated MUCH better at the Sheraton than at the Westin. They have larger rooms in their club section and the bottled water was free!
* The Sheraton has a club room for breakfast and afternoon snacks that is staffed with very friendly personnel. If the Westin has a club, they didn't tell me about it.
* The Sheraton is just more relaxing. They have a little fish pond in the center and their pool and bar are nicer than the Westin.

Really, the only thing I liked better at the Westin was the actual room. But, it wasn't like the Sheraton room was bad. I have been back three times and have chosen the Sheraton (not because of price) each time.

DawgmanOH
Old Feb 6, 2003, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Once again, staying at the Sheraton SJC (Milpitas) and now I find another reason for staying here...FREE HIGH SPEED INTERNET ACCESS!! yippee!!

If you are on one of the club floors (8th & 9th floors), high speed internet is free! As a Platinum, I have been receiving an upgrade to a Club floor (or a suite which is ok too) about 75% of the time. The rest of the time, I am usually checking in so late (+9p.m.) that all the club rooms/suites have already been assigned to another SPG Gold/Platinum.

You would think that other hotels would figure this out. Give SPG members free local calls & high speed access (when possible bu upgrading to the club floor) and they will come. Hmmm, forgo a couple bucks revenue from the phone and internet, but gain much more revenue from increased occupancy. Keeps me coming back.
Old Feb 6, 2003, 11:37 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by onedog:
Once again, staying at the Sheraton SJC (Milpitas) and now I find another reason for staying here...FREE HIGH SPEED INTERNET ACCESS!! yippee!!
</font>
Is this documented anywhere? When I've been on the club floor, I've always seen stuff that says its 10 bucks a day.

I do agree that the Sheraton SJC treats SPG elite wonderfully (as well as everyone else for that matter - they seem to really be commited to customer service).
Old Feb 7, 2003, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by VPescado:
Is this documented anywhere? When I've been on the club floor, I've always seen stuff that says its 10 bucks a day.

I do agree that the Sheraton SJC treats SPG elite wonderfully (as well as everyone else for that matter - they seem to really be commited to customer service).
</font>
In all the rooms is the generic promotional literature for the high speed access @ $10/day. But if I recall, if you look on SPG.com, the description of Club Level room provides for free high speed access. So if you are on the club floors and try to access high speed internet, the price is shown as $0.

Old Feb 7, 2003, 1:17 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
if you look on SPG.com, the description of Club Level room provides for free high speed access. So if you are on the club floors and try to access high speed internet, the price is shown as $0.
</font>
Hmm...but then it isn't clear what the "official" rule is if you are upgraded to club floor instead of booking a club floor room. I'll ask next time I'm there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.