Last edit by: mfkne
Print Wikipost

The little useful things no one thinks of

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
The little useful things no one thinks of

I will start: a teaspoon. It's surprising how often you wish you had a utensil and a little spoon takes no space or weight. (I just bought a spork + case, I will report back how well it works)
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I've been carrying a spork for the last two months since my client went "green" and no more plastic utensils are provided.

It's a little annoying having to wash it twice a day but serves me well.
KRSW likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:16 am

Always pack disposable spoon, fork and knife cadged from fast food places. Maybe you buy something to eat at a store that doesn't provide utensils, maybe they get left out of your takeout order.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I carry a dual-plug 12v usb charger and extra lightning/micro-USB cables because my co-workers rarely remember to bring a car charger with them and pack even their USB cables in their main luggage (usually in the trunk) for whatever reason.

I can honestly say I've not, to date, been in a position where I've had food but no utensils to eat with... though after reading this and NOT packing them it'll likely happen on my next trip.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: UAL 1k, MM flyer, Marriott Gold, Global Entry
A white 6-foot 3-plug extension cord. Comes in handy at the airport when there aren't enough wall plugs, or you don't want to sit on the floor, and in the hotel when there isn't an convenient plug near the bed. White ... because it's more noticeable and less likely to leave behind. Definitely a must when traveling abroad. Only one adapter needed, and you get three outlets.
cybill234 and KRSW like this.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by noe94131
A white 6-foot 3-plug extension cord. Comes in handy at the airport when there aren't enough wall plugs, or you don't want to sit on the floor, and in the hotel when there isn't an convenient plug near the bed. White ... because it's more noticeable and less likely to leave behind. Definitely a must when traveling abroad. Only one adapter needed, and you get three outlets.
I carry a small $1 three-way adapter from the Dollar Tree with me... I've not had a hotel in the US without a reasonably placed plug at/near the desk in some time. Bedside plugs can be more hit-or-miss, but I've been using the USB-ports on many bedside clock-radios for phone charging more frequently these days.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Yep, we have lexan sporks - always carry with us. Usually have a few plastic disposable from takeout (in my husband's bag) as well. Sometimes I'll have chopsticks as well - those can come in handy for more than just food, depending on the width....

We like to carry small nylon shopping bags (have some from monoprix, we paid 1E, they are light and fold to nothing in their own stuff sac but can carry a couple of meals worth of food or days worth of laundry, can use if going to the pool or beach etc - handy on business and leisure trips for me!)

Our newest thing as of last year - small plastic pill bags. My husband carries his daily dose in a bag (labeled) and adds a dental flosspick for each day, and we found the leftover bags have come in handy, having one or two in a pocket - we used them to store our SIM cards when we installed prepaid sims in Europe, I've used them to hold earrings so they don't get lost inside a larger bag. They can hold seasoning if you're salt intolerant but still need some flavor. And so on.

If I'm traveling in the US and renting a car (not a very common occurrence for me) I try to remember an AUX cord so I can plug my mp3 player into the car radio....
cybill234 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Low-tech, good old binder clips (black, assorted sizes - I take the small ones, as useful as good old duct tape, leave no residual stickies behind.) Good for those room-darkening shades when you wanted to sleep late (a luxury on weekends, LOL) and to keep those lengthly micro-usb & HDMI/audio cables neatly together & better than paper clips in holding stacks of papers/receipts/etc. together - inexpensive & no big deal if lost.
KRSW likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, HiltonH, AA Advantage
Resusable small vacuum bag I keep in my carryon, which works well if you roll it, should no vacuum be available. Mine accommodated several changes of underwear, T shirts and spare pants. Left room for sandals, laptop charger, travel blanket etc.
I also carry a can opener, bottle thingy and plastic spoon and fork.
I haven't chanced a plastic knife after I was made to repack my tweezers in my check in bag!
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:36 pm

A tiny pair of round nosed retractable blade scissors. I got them in Japan but jetpens.com has a few similar ones.
http://www.jetpens.com/Sun-Star-Peti...White/pd/11111

Folding fork which fits into my thermos http://www.rei.com/product/849663/msr-folding-fork
Pair of plastic chopsticks sized for lunch boxes

Bento containers for soy sauce, but I fill them with some liquids of which I only need tiny amounts (face deep moisturizer for TA, cleansing oil for waterproof mascara, saline nasal gel, actual soy sauce). It holds about a small cosmetic sample sized amount and plenty of different sizes for a couple ml to 10ml.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Pic...item2ed45169b5
Filling instructions - squeeze container to expel air, touch the tip to product, slowly release to pull in the product.
Toss it in one of those pill bags Hoyaheel mentioned to corral them.

Short ballpoint pen with clip lives in my purse
http://www.jetpens.com/Tombow-Pfit-C...-Clip/pd/10499
Pilot Slim Knock Hi-Tech-C gel pen is also handy for small spaces like a receipt pouch/passport wallet
http://www.jetpens.com/search?q=slim+knock

Last edited by freecia; Jan 27, 2015 at 12:43 pm
Old Jan 27, 2015, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
freecia, you are the reason I started this thread I am eyeing a Sun-Star PetitChokit Micro Scissors and a Zebra Penpod Mini Keychain Ballpoint Pen already. Fantastic. Never heard of these things before. langham123, which can opener? I found the Nogent Super Kim, curious
Old Jan 27, 2015, 1:56 pm

Programs: Independent
A couple of outlet protectors. For some reason hotels always place the bathroom light switch right next to the outlets. Last thing I need at night is to be groping around for a light switch in an unknown place with wet hands.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:09 pm

Hand Sanitizer!
GoRavens likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, IHG Elite or something, Marriott Platinum
Just ordered 6 pair of those scissors for my team. Those look awesome!
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
About 30 feet of 3.0mm utility cord, 3mm-utility-cord 50-ft 6-8 cheap wooden clothespins, and a Nite Ize tensioner.nite-ize figure 9 small. I put a loop in one end double it, and use the tensioner to make a tight clothesline in hotel rooms between towel bars or doorknobs. Wash the socks and other stuff, even UA tees with a Dr. Bronners bar or just the hotel soap & I can make 2 or pairs of each work for a lengthy trip.

And a 6-way spice missile for the bland air travel food: I even made small P-Touch labels for lemon pepper, Old Bay seasoning, celery salt, cumin, sea salt and black pepper. gsi-outdoors-spice missile

Last edited by AATrout; Jan 27, 2015 at 5:00 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.