Wiki Posts
Search

Sofitel Roma Villa Borghese

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2015, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Accor Platinum, Marriott
Sofitel Roma Villa Borghese

Anyone had a recent stay at this Sofitel in Rome? I find the website confusing in regard to room types. The two Luxury rooms listed vary in size with the larger room being the less expensive. I assume this room has no view.
Any recommendations on which room to request? I see a lot of tips on TripAdvisor for corner rooms or rooms at front of the hotel but am unable to correlate these with the rooms offered on the Accor site.

I will email the hotel but would be interested in any feedback from recent visitors.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 11:44 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Another request to ask if anyone has stayed recently? (I have seen the drink voucher thread post that was positive about this place in Dec. 2016)...

Considering staying here mid April for a three night stay (on the 3 for 2 offer currently on so around Euro 260 / night over 3 nights)...Would others recommend another 'luxury' hotel here in Rome instead?

Thanks,

BotB
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:29 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Checked in today, nice hotel, great staff, very welcoming and helpful. Upgraded as Gold to one level up room (I'll post a review after the stay with pictures) looking forward to breakfast!

i'm the only one in the top floor bar tonight but they have great staff here up here and so enjoying my private venue with a few G & T's (Bombay and fever tree so all good on that front, among other gins)

will update tomorrow and try try to get some views in daylight from the roof as well as the general hotel areas.
Old May 3, 2017, 9:01 am

When in Rome...

Sofitel Rome Villa Borghese

Map| 3 Reviews | 67% Recommended

Via Lombardia 47 Rome, IT 00187

When in Rome... (27 Photos)

Ah, Rome, what a city! Interestingly, there are relatively few chain hotels in the city for frequent fliers. When a work trip for a few days came along I thought no time like the present to try this Sofitel. I also had a personal reason to stay here as a business colleague recently passed away and my last time visiting him involved a walk through this park area in and around Villa Borghese so this was another nice way to remember him and the great  stories he would tell me about his native city.

I had a great time here, mostly due to the location and the rooftop bar/restaurant as well as service in the hotel. The room was a bit dated but very quiet and a lovely bed. I would stay again and recommend the place to others.

I had booked with cash on an Accor offer (3 nights for the price of 2) direct via the website as a Gold member.Sofitel Rome | Entrance to hotel.jpgSofitel Rome | Exterior.jpgSofitel Rome | Lobby.jpg

Check In

I arrived very late mid week via taxi from the airport (fixed 48 Euro price) after 10 PM (I had let the hotel know this in advance). Check in was very friendly and quick with no queue.

I received an upgrade at check in from my basic room to a luxury room which was greatly appreciated.

The hotel had proactively sent me an email prior to the stay and offered assistance for trips, transport and such but I did not use this service.

I had asked for a confirmation text on day of arrival and received this with a nice tip to ensure that I used the correct 'official' taxis at the airport which was a nice touch.Sofitel Rome | View to Lobby Seating.jpgSofitel Rome | Stairway 2.jpgSofitel Rome | Stairway.jpg

Room

I'll let the pictures do the talking, they are worth a 1000 words after all.

The room was a bit dated in decor but everything worked well and was in good condition. The tradional decor is not my preference but was calming and quiet. I had two windows that opened onto a interior roof area which was nice to get some fresh air (closed when sleeping though for security reasons). The radio had an iPod connector but this was the older wider connection so not a lightning connector for those interested.

The hotel has 7 floors with suites on the top floor along with the rooftop bar and restaurant (evening meals). Breakfast is served on the ground floor (well up a small set of stairs) in a devoted area off the main lobby seating area. I received a room on the 2nd floor which was convenient to use the stairs up and down to breakfast and out of the hotel instead of the small elevator. The stairs always seemed to be illuminated in this interesting purple light!

The shower over the bath was not my preference to be honest but it worked fine and provided plenty of hot water and pressure and the rain shower option was appreciated. Hermes bath amenities in the room in luxury room for those that are interested.

Sofitel Rome | Bidet.jpgSofitel Rome | Desk.jpgSofitel Rome | Dresser.jpgSofitel Rome | King Bed.jpgSofitel Rome | Luxury Room.jpgSofitel Rome | Mini Bar.jpgSofitel Rome | Opposite view of luxury rSofitel Rome | Safe.jpgSofitel Rome | Shower over bath.jpgSofitel Rome | Sink Vanity Area.jpgSofitel Rome | TV Mini Bar.jpgSofitel Rome | View back to Entrance.jpgSofitel Rome | View into Bathroom.jpgSofitel Rome | View into Room.jpgSofitel Rome | Wardrobe.jpgSofitel Rome | WC.jpg

Service

Service was excellent at all areas of the hotel and restaurants. The chaps in the bar on the roof were particularly good and had excellent memory regarding choices when I visited again each night. A real strong point for the hotel.

Some pictures of the rooftop bar and restaurant area, the view from the large terrace as well.

Finally, I ate up here one night and had an excellent meal with very good homemade noodles and sauce as well as dessert. (picture of the mixed mini dessert choice should give you an indication).

It was very popular to eat here and I would definitely recommend a reservation for a formal table if you wish as it was booked solid most nights (I ate in the bar area but could order from the full menu).

One evening two very attractive ladies were accompanied by a photographer and a bit of a fashion shoot/tabloid photo shoot took place with some formally dressed gentlemen that joined them...I'm terrible with celebrity recognition so was only mildy amused by the 'intrusion'.

Sofitel Rome | Mixed Dessert taster.jpgSofitel Rome | Rooftop Bar and RestauranSofitel Rome | Rooftop Bar and RestauranSofitel Rome | View from Rooftop terraceSofitel Rome | View from Rooftop Terrace

Very convenient to walk most places in the inner city and only a few hundred metres from the Spanish Steps and the expensive boutique avenues.

The Villa itself and the surrounding area is very beautiful and worth walking around for the views over Rome and the very soft but warm light in the afternoon in the Winter or Spring seasons.

Overall

I had a good stay and would stay again, the room decor is dated but clean, large enough and quiet. This was more than offset by location, service and food quality, both for breakfast and evening meals. The views from the roof bar are lovely and the people watching is fun as well.

Hope to be back sometime soon!

When in Rome...

Would you like to write a review on the Sofitel Rome Villa Borghese?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old May 3, 2017, 12:19 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Excellent review BotB ^ This hotel does not get much coverage here so this is very welcome. Sometime these rather old fashioned hotels can be very comfortable, an interesting contrast to your other review of the Sofitel in Vienna today.
Old May 3, 2017, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Superb review BotB. I hope I'll be able to go to this hotel one day, but it is always super expensive.
Old May 3, 2017, 2:23 pm

thanks for the kind words to both of you and I also enjoy your posts/reviews Goldorak, although I don't post that too often!

Hope you get the chance to visit the Sofitel Roma at some stage, in any case, Rome is a great city and however one gets to see it, it is very worthwhile!

Safe travels.
Old May 3, 2017, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by BotB
thanks for the kind words to both of you and I also enjoy your posts/reviews Goldorak, although I don't post that too often!

Hope you get the chance to visit the Sofitel Roma at some stage, in any case, Rome is a great city and however one gets to see it, it is very worthwhile!

Safe travels.
thanks BotB for your kind words too
Rome is indeed one of my favorite city in Europe.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 4:11 am
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Don’t feel welcome

Map| 3 Reviews | 67% Recommended

Via Lombardia 47 Rome, IT 00187

Don’t feel welcome (15 Photos)

facade.jpg

Don't feel welcome.

That’s how my partner and I felt when we arrived to Sofitel Rome Villa Borghese for the first time.

We visit Rome about once a year and prefer Airbnb as our accommodation while in the eternal city. We have found a nice apartment that makes us feel home away home.

This time ”our” apartment was booked by someone else so we decided to stay at a hotel instead.

Since we had a special occasion to celebrate we wanted something better than Mercure. I didn’t dare to book La Griffe, a MGallery hotel by Sofitel, because of its poor reputation on TripAdvisor.

Sofitel seemed the best option and we trusted our experience: so far we have been pretty satisfied with Accor’s luxury brand. Unfortunately, we were proven wrong now.

I booked our stay two months in advance using private sale rate. Yet I paid 700 euros for a three-night stay excluding breakfast which I find pretty steep. I expected that we will be pampered well.

1_lobby.jpg

lobby2.jpg

We arrived at the hotel 11:30am. I had done the online check-in the other day and informed our estimated arrival time in advance. At the same time I had mentioned that we will be celebrating our anniversary during this trip.

A bellboy took care of our luggage and led us to a small reception desk that was staffed by two front desk agents. There was no queue and one of the workers waved his hand. He did neither open the folder that is placed on the desk including papers and pen nor welcomed us.

I presented my platinum card as I always do. He watched it for a few seconds, smirked annoyingly without thanking me for my loyalty and gave it back. All he said was that it’s in the system already and he need my credit card and our passports.

I gave the credit card and the passports and asked what was the purpose of doing online check-in if nothing has been prepared prior to our arrival. I had also received an email from the hotel confirming that they have already taken 1,250 euros as a deposit from my credit card.

”I just need to see it,” the front office agent repeated and scanned our passports.

He then told that our room is already vacant but it’s not yet ready. He asked us to come back at 2pm which is the official check-in time. He took my phone number and promised to call us if the room would be ready earlier.

He didn’t ask if we are in Rome for the first time, if we need a map or any assistance while our room is being prepared. Also, this was probably the first time in Sofitel when the early check-in wasn't honored or compensated.

I know that the benefit is subject to availability. Yet at other Sofitels, we have many times been offered a humble apology and asked if we would like to sit down and have some champagne while waiting for our room to be ready. That’s one way to make customer feel welcome.

I had a busy week of traveling and working before this vacation and I was somewhat tired. The staff didn't do any attempts to make customer feel relaxed.

key card.jpg

key card2.jpg

We went out for lunch and wandered around the city. We returned to the hotel before 2pm just to found out that our room was ready. Notwithstanding this, no one had called us unlike promised.

The front desk agent handed over key cards for the room and a drink voucher that could be used for two drinks. We used it for tasty Sprits but they could have been used for beer or wine, too.

The keys were inside a cardboard cover that had seen its better days, clearly used several times before us. I found this cheap. Yet another example of penny-pinching.

Since the front desk agent didn’t mention anything about a room upgrade, I asked which room did he give us.

”You have a very nice superior room on the 6th floor with a view to Villa Borghese,” he answered.

That’s the room I had booked. So no upgrade?

”Believe me, we are completely fully booked,” he continued and shrugged his shoulders.

The hotel was full indeed, for the first night at least. But for later days, I found luxury rooms and suites available on Accorhotels.com. We weren’t asked if we would like to be moved to better room later. They could have done it if they wanted to. Being a platinum member meant nothing much.

”You have the drink voucher,” I was reminded.

Either the front desk agent was incompetent or he just couldn't care. I asked to see a manager and expressed him my disappointment with the lame welcome and the nonexistent platinum benefits.

Unlike the rest of the front desk staff, the assistant front office manager was a truly customer service professional, typical Sofitel ambassador. He apologized for all the inconvenience we had and offered complimentary breakfast every morning as a compensation. I was satisfied with that. Later, a hotel management send to our room a bottle of prosecco with dark chocolate strawberries and handwritten card wishing happy anniversary. That was sweet.

1_room1.jpg

Since we had no luck with the upgrade lottery we stuck in the 25 square meter superior room I had booked. I wouldn't call it particular superior, not even ”nice.” It was small and dated, with furniture being weird mix of ancient and newer, tasteless stuff.

I prefer modern design but I had some clue what to expect so wasn't disappointed in that regard. Anyway, the room needed refurbishment.

room2.jpg

TV was the only entertainment we had. There wasn’t Bose audio system, coffee machine, not even kettle or rack for luggage. MyBed was obviously old and surprisingly uncomfortable. (I have one at home.) Pillows were too high to my liking and no pillow menu was available, of course.

room3.jpg

In the tiny bathroom there was only a bathtub which I’m not a fan of. Soundproofing could have been better, too. We could clearly hear traffic noise, concerts of crickets and banging doors from corridor.

bathroom.jpg

bathtub.jpg

Welcome letter, in-room gift or wifi codes weren't left in the room. Had to make a phone call to reception to ask how we can get logged onto the Internet. No hotel manuals explaining breakfast times, for example. On the other hand, the hotel only have rooms and a restaurant…

Interestingly enough, there was an ashtray with smoking prohibited sign. Why the ashtray was in the non-smoking room? At least there was two bottles of mineral water and Hermes toiletries that were both replenished daily.

Newspaper wasn’t delivered to our room in any of the three mornings.

Minibar had ridiculous prices: 60 euros for a half bottle of champagne, 7 euros for small Coke and 4 euros for water is a robbery. I mean Coke is still Coke and water is water. The quality isn't any better in a 5-star hotel than in 7-Eleven.

With a bit cheaper prices, they would probably make more money since that could motivate customers to purchase items.

breakfast1.jpg

Breakfast was served in La Terasse restaurant which offers fantastic views. Food selection was somewhat limited but the quality was top notch. However, I found it unacceptable for a 5-star luxury hotel to offer only tea bags. Also, all egg dishes and waffles costed extra. One would expect that 30 euros would cover a full buffet. Staff also made too many mistakes such as brought wrong tea twice in one morning and once forgot our cappuccino order. Every morning food run out quickly and refilling took ages. Plates were cleaned from tables slowly.

breakfast2.jpg

breakfast3.jpg

In the last evening, I requested late check-out for the next day. It was reluctantly given and was confirmed only until 3pm.

”We are fully booked,” was the explanation. Again.

I checked Accorhotels.com and almost all room categories were available for booking, including the superior room where we were staying.

The front desk agent wasn’t able to give any proper explanation how this was possible. He just asked me to request again the next day and reminded that we could freshen up and change our clothes in their public toilet. Nice, hah?

It would have helped a lot if this hotel had spa but it doesn't have even gym.

The next day I received the same explanation: hotel is fully booked. You need to check out latest at 3pm.

The nice assistant front office manager heard our conversation with the front desk agent and said of course the late check-out at 4.30pm is okay, no problem. That was very much appreciated since I had preordered a pickup back to airport at 4.30pm and now we were able to take shower in our room before we left.

view.jpg

room view1.jpg

The front office manager really tried to make our stay more comfortable. But, considering how expensive Sofitel Rome Villa Borghese is versus product that is provided I think it doesn’t offer enough value for money and I’m unable to recommend it. It didn’t feel true Sofitel. I would say it’s more like a 4-star MGallery.

In addition to the attitude, something else was missing. Everything, even simple requests, seemed too difficult and impossible for the front desk staff and needed consulting with the manager.

Location is good, though, on a quiet side street yet close to center. It took maximum ten minutes to walk to the Spanish steps or Barberini, for example.

2/5

Don’t feel welcome

Would you like to write a review on the Sofitel Rome Villa Borghese?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Thank you for your review and I want to share here that a friend of mine (Platinum also) stayed there recently for the 1st time and had the very same bad experience as you. Reading your review, I was feeling like hearing her story. Like you she had a kind of recovery by the GM (or maybe it was also the FO manager like you, I'm not sure) at the end of the stay, but that's too late. Come on this is unbelievable that the executives of this hotel know that the staff is behaving poorly especially with Elite customers and just not solve the problem and instead try to recover somewhat with the customer.
And your cardboard cover...
I'm surprised they didn't charge you extra for toilet paper...

My friend told me she will never go back, especially with the atrocious rates they charge for such a poor quality. So that's just a very poorly managed hotel to avoid.
It's always a Sofitel I wanted to try, but was always pushed back because of the rates. And now after those bad reviews, I'll likely never go there. Shame !
Old Aug 2, 2017, 9:28 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by Goldorak
It's always a Sofitel I wanted to try, but was always pushed back because of the rates. And now after those bad reviews, I'll likely never go there. Shame !
Same for me, this review completely put me off.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 7:18 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
I also planned to stay at this hotel but now put off. Maybe best to go mercure or novotel in this city. They definately need a complete renovation. My guess they have putting it off for a long time and just touching up hence the mixed quality. Bathrooms are shocking for sofitel.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 5:05 am
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Thank you for your replies. The hotel emailed me a guest survey to which I replied. After that I had a conversation on the phone with a quality manager of the hotel as she proposed to call me. She said that the hotel takes all these issues seriously and offered me a reasonable compensation. She also told that the hotel will undergo a complete renovation starting not before the end of next summer. The hotel will be closed for a few months and they have planned to open again in the beginning of 2019. During the renovation, all rooms and public areas will be refurbished and there will be gym and possibly a sauna, too.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:56 am

Just in case anyone is interested and can take advantage, I had an email through from the hotel informing me of a special offer they have running from end of this month through to Jan. 18:

Sofitel Rome Marries Art

Euro 225 for two people in a superior room with breakfast and a panoramic aperitif.*

They have marketed it to the timings of three artist exhibitions:

Picasso: 22/09/17 to 21/01/18 Scuderie del Quirinale
Hokusai: 12/10/17 to 14/01/18 Ara Pacis
Monet: 19/10/17 to 28/01/18 Complesso del Vittoriano

*rate is subject to limited availability and can't be combined with other offers. 29/30/31 Dec are excluded. City tax is extra (7 Euro / person / night).

I know the last poster did not have a good experience and hope that that was a one off, my experience was actually quite good.

Safe travels.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:51 pm

The hotel is closed for renovation from 1st Aug. 2018 until March 2019. (according to a FB post from the hotel)

Will be interested to try it again after the renovation and hope the rooms are modernised substantially!

Safe travels everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.