AS flight with at seat power-thoughts

Subscribe
Due to an aircraft swap, I flew the new AS plane with at seat power. It did not have the entertainment system that will be coming later.While I did use the at seat power to charge my phone and watch "Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia", there are definite drawbacks.

Seat 2F has a 4" wide metal box that severely limits under seat storage. I'm not sure if this is a Row 2 problem or throughout the aircraft. The only full width under seat storage is the middle section, so 2 F pax could potential be fighting for the one spot. Also, the seat design has changed. I have never had a problem fitting my laptop bag under the seat in front of me, until this plane. The height under the seat is lower so my bag did not fit completely under the seat.

The plane has the new Sky interior (of course) but seems to have a strange mix of overhead bin configurations which caused the flight attendants to spend extra time explaining how to load the carry on bags.
You were on the first AS plane with the Project Amber overhead bins.
The power box for the First Class seats is in the one location while Coach seats it is in the middle.
So, plainly - what are we saying here? The PA (Project Amber) bins suck also? I'm no fan of the downward swinging tray overhead bins on the 737's - and judging by the hair products smeared on the angled doors - many others aren't either

I'm also not liking the loss of space in the reconfigured cabin - especially at Row 1.

Just to clarify - is the seat power box for F solely at Seat 2F? Or at every F seat in each row? Or at every window seat in each row?
Quote: You were on the first AS plane with the Project Amber overhead bins.
The power box for the First Class seats is in the one location while Coach seats it is in the middle.
Sounds like row 2 D-F is the ghetto aisle going forward.
Quote: I'm no fan of the downward swinging tray overhead bins on the 737's -
Im right there with you
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Quote:
Quote: You were on the first AS plane with the Project Amber overhead bins.
Sounds like row 2 D-F is the ghetto aisle going forward.

I think I'd rather have leg room over power.
Quote: Sounds like row 2 D-F is the ghetto aisle going forward.
2D was my favorite seat :-/
Quote: Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I think I'd rather have leg room over power.
I agree. why not put the box in the coat closet or lav?
The power boxes were located where they are because of the attach points on the seat. Power box is at every seat assembly location in order to give power (110 and USB) to all three seats.

The aisle seats already had the smallest space underneath the seat due to the seat leg and the end of the baggage bar.

As for the bins, they are estimated to allow 50% more bags to go in the overheads because they are designed to have bags turned on their side (there are placards in the back of the bin showing you how to stow).

It is also worth noting that if you are seated in 4A/C, the overhead is completely full use to the addition of a 4th liferaft. Before anyone asks, it was placed there to keep commonality for the FA's since he 900ER has two rafts up front.
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

What's the tail #?
N584AS

Quote: N584AS
Hmm so 4 rafts on a 73H?

Guess they'll need to update the seat cards

Is the extra raft due to more Pax? And is there a potential ceiling mod like the 739ER? As having less bin space is unfortunate.
Quote: Is the extra raft due to more Pax?
It would have to be. Just as long as we get our own dedicated raft in F, I'll be happy.

Quote: Power box is at every seat assembly location in order to give power (110 and USB) to all three seats.
So the power box is in the middle of all F seats now? Or window seats? I already have to occasionally fight over that middle space for my backpack when sitting at the aisle. Any loss of floor space is going to be a pain....
Is there just one aircraft w/power? When are more to be equipped? Is it just under 2F or under every F seat? I'm confused....nothing unusual about that! ;-)
Quote: Is there just one aircraft w/power?
There are two a/c with power that have been reported on FT: N548AS and N584AS (new bins as well). These are both 737-800s. Not sure if any more are equipped yet.

If AS intends to have all 737-800s and -900s equipped by the end of 2014, they would need to be retrofitting about seven aircraft per month to accomplish this goal.