SCAM Alert: friend received an email for E-ticket never ordered???

Subscribe
Quote: Yet getting strait answers from Delta can potentially alleviate a lot of damage. If I had a buck for everyone who gave me excuses or wanted everyone in their organization to just look the other way, I would be retired. On the other hand, refusing to acknowledge a breach of customer data resulting in damages can also make for a windfall.

I just search for the truth to protect the innocent user that may not look or know how to look for tell tail signs of fraud. If that's bad, just shoot me now.
Agreed. These days if the breached organization doesn't get out ahead of the news, they'll be consumed by it, so DL has a considerable interest in coming clean. Problem is if they never say anything the conspiracy folks will get all carbonated.
Quote: Not that I work in Information System Security - Oh Wait, Yes I do!

This response is not a direct answer to my question. Delta customers would like to know if Delta has any indication that client accounts have been compromised. The fact that your servers are not being used to send these e-mails does not preclude the use of your customer list to increase the likelihood of targets opening attachments. I respectfully ask for an answer to my question.

OTP
No customer data was compromised.
Spam from Delta
Received an email today from Delta with the subject line "Download your ticket #NR5816" It had a .zip file attachment - Ticket_Order_Delta_Air_0360.zip.

Body of email starts with Hello,
(guess they didn't know who I was)
and shows me in Seat 57E, boarding in Zone 1 tomorrow at 10:25AM, arriving in Virginia Beach.

Message was from [email protected]

Called Delta and was told that "they had been spammed yesterday" and all credit card numbers are safe, but if I was concerned I should change my password.

Problem is, they sent it to an email address Delta doesn't have.

Anyone else receive this? And no, I didn't open the zip file.
There's been an advisory on delta.dumb about this. Apparently it's being sent to random email addresses. Your seat assignment on the baby airplane into Virginia Beach is funny.
Quote: Received an email today from Delta with the subject line "Download your ticket #NR5816" It had a .zip file attachment - Ticket_Order_Delta_Air_0360.zip.

Body of email starts with Hello,
(guess they didn't know who I was)
and shows me in Seat 57E, boarding in Zone 1 tomorrow at 10:25AM, arriving in Virginia Beach.

Called Delta and was told that "they had been spammed yesterday" and all credit card numbers are safe, but if I was concerned I should change my password.

Problem is, they sent it to an email address Delta doesn't have.

Anyone else receive this? And no, I didn't open the zip file.
I receive so many spoof emails that could contain viruses that I lost count. It may not even be from the spam incident that you mentioned. They probably just picked up your email address from some list. I just received an email from a major delivery company indicating that I have a package to pick up and it had a "confirmation" attached to it. I have never registered with this company. If all smells fishy, just delete.
Perhaps this is just a public service announcement but if not do yourself a favor and read/learn about phishing scams.
Existing Thread
Recent discussion of same topic:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...cam-delta.html
Thanks for the link showing this has been going on for a while.

Moderator - please delete or merge this thread with the other thread.
Phishing scams.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/on...shing-faq.aspx
This is just random. It's not from Delta, it is just a coincidence that you are a Delta flyer. They didn't Delta's system or get your information from Delta. Spammers get lists of millions and millions of emails from various sources. Then they pick companies which are used by millions of people such as PayPal, Ebay, Delta, United, Amazon, UPS, DHL (...the list goes on) and they craft an email that would look as if it was legitimately sent from the company. Someone can have the "from" line in the email be whatever they want, such as Delta, even though it's not really from Delta.

This is why it is called "phishing". Because they are just throwing out line after line with your bait, and hope that you catch something. It is not necessarily targeted at you because they hacked your information and know that you fly Delta. Even in the most barren part of the ocean, if you throw out millions of baited lines you are bound to catch some fish.
I deleted this e-mail so fast I barely had time to blink my eye. It was in my spam section anyway, which I always delete.
Quote: received an email today from delta with the subject line "download your ticket #nr5816" it had a .zip file attachment - ticket_order_delta_air_0360.zip.

Body of email starts with hello,
(guess they didn't know who i was)
and shows me in seat 57e, boarding in zone 1 tomorrow at 10:25am, arriving in virginia beach.

called delta and was told that "they had been spammed yesterday" and all credit card numbers are safe, but if i was concerned i should change my password.

Problem is, they sent it to an email address delta doesn't have.

Anyone else receive this? And no, i didn't open the zip file.
Do not open the email and It is scammed. Just deleted the email. Do not open the attached.
SCAM Alert: friend received an email for E-ticket never ordered???
Email came, from "[email protected]" with price, etc Have you seen or heard of this scam? Is there a legit email address at Delta to forward trhis email to check it out?
Every ticket receipt I've gotten has come from deltaairlines (at) e.delta.com

Sounds fishy to me. Does it have the passenger's name correct (i.e. is it your friend's name)? Have you tried typing in the reservation/ticket number at Delta.com to see if you can pull up the actual reservation?
Got the same email. Apparently I'm in row 76E into Louisville.....for $286.47. Only DL plane I know that has that many rows is upper deck of 747, but E does not exist. A,B,J,K are valid seats. All of which would be BE. Someone needs to do better research before sending junk like that out.